PDA

View Full Version : more varying newbie questions

XyZspineZyX
07-13-2003, 10:10 PM
I have some newbie questions here, though I'm already playing for 3 months.

Freezes/hickups.
Par example, when I use the Quick Mission Builder and load the mission, I have 2 seconds of very low frame rate,
2 frames/sec just after the loading finished. I can't control my aircraft the first seconds, which sometimes causes it to point it's
nose straight down to the ground. The freeze/hickup also occurs when shooting at an enemy aircraft for the first time during a quick
mission. It's very annoying, isn't there anything to fix it?

P-47
On this forum people told me in a previous topic the 8 x .50 cal guns did a lot of damage. When I shoot heinkel bombers with a P-47
in a quick mission, I have to unload a lot of ammo, 4-6 seconds of shooting, to see some damage (bullet holes in the wings, which is
no problem for them so they can just fly on) only when i placed a lucky shot i managed to blast off a flap or small tail part. I thought
the aircraft is capable of dealing huge damage, but I can't do that when I fly it. How to shoot with the P-47?

FW aircraft sensitive steering
When I fly the FW aircraft I can't aim with it as well as the bf-109 because it's steering is oversensitive. The yak-3's steering is
also quite sensitive, but still flyable. Am I doing something wrong?

Fw aiming
The FW aircraft have a small crosshair which is close to the nose of the aircraft. When i want to make a deflection shot, the nose covers
up my target! I have this in other planes as well, but it is especially difficult in the Fw aircraft. Any solution?

LA aircraft cannons and Yak-3 cannnon
I perform very bad when I fly the La aircraft or shoot the Yak-3's cannon. I can't hit anything with it. More people have that problem?

Taxiing
I want my aircraft to start near the hangar, not on the runway, so I can practice taxiing. How to do that in the Full Mission Builder.

Spotting ground units from high altitude
I made a mission, where I flew a stuka and had to bomb howitzers. From 1500 m (minimum dive bomb attack height) I can't even see a
howitzer on the ground. Others experience this as a problem as well?

Identifying friends and allies without icons
It's impossible for me to identify friends or enemies in online dogfights without icons on. Solution?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

XyZspineZyX
07-13-2003, 10:10 PM
I have some newbie questions here, though I'm already playing for 3 months.

Freezes/hickups.
Par example, when I use the Quick Mission Builder and load the mission, I have 2 seconds of very low frame rate,
2 frames/sec just after the loading finished. I can't control my aircraft the first seconds, which sometimes causes it to point it's
nose straight down to the ground. The freeze/hickup also occurs when shooting at an enemy aircraft for the first time during a quick
mission. It's very annoying, isn't there anything to fix it?

P-47
On this forum people told me in a previous topic the 8 x .50 cal guns did a lot of damage. When I shoot heinkel bombers with a P-47
in a quick mission, I have to unload a lot of ammo, 4-6 seconds of shooting, to see some damage (bullet holes in the wings, which is
no problem for them so they can just fly on) only when i placed a lucky shot i managed to blast off a flap or small tail part. I thought
the aircraft is capable of dealing huge damage, but I can't do that when I fly it. How to shoot with the P-47?

FW aircraft sensitive steering
When I fly the FW aircraft I can't aim with it as well as the bf-109 because it's steering is oversensitive. The yak-3's steering is
also quite sensitive, but still flyable. Am I doing something wrong?

Fw aiming
The FW aircraft have a small crosshair which is close to the nose of the aircraft. When i want to make a deflection shot, the nose covers
up my target! I have this in other planes as well, but it is especially difficult in the Fw aircraft. Any solution?

LA aircraft cannons and Yak-3 cannnon
I perform very bad when I fly the La aircraft or shoot the Yak-3's cannon. I can't hit anything with it. More people have that problem?

Taxiing
I want my aircraft to start near the hangar, not on the runway, so I can practice taxiing. How to do that in the Full Mission Builder.

I made a mission, where I flew a stuka and had to bomb howitzers. From 1500 m (minimum dive bomb attack height) I can't even see a
howitzer on the ground. Others experience this as a problem as well?

Identifying friends and allies without icons
It's impossible for me to identify friends or enemies in online dogfights without icons on. Solution?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

XyZspineZyX
07-13-2003, 10:25 PM
The_Red_Arrow wrote:
- I have some newbie questions here, though I'm
- already playing for 3 months.
-
- Freezes/hickups.
- Par example, when I use the Quick Mission Builder
- and load the mission, I have 2 seconds of very low
- frame rate,
- 2 frames/sec just after the loading finished. I
- can't control my aircraft the first seconds, which
- sometimes causes it to point it's
- nose straight down to the ground. The freeze/hickup
- also occurs when shooting at an enemy aircraft for
- the first time during a quick
- mission. It's very annoying, isn't there anything to
- fix it?

Should be fixed with the patch...

- P-47
- On this forum people told me in a previous topic the
- 8 x .50 cal guns did a lot of damage. When I shoot
- heinkel bombers with a P-47
- in a quick mission, I have to unload a lot of ammo,
- 4-6 seconds of shooting, to see some damage (bullet
- holes in the wings, which is
- no problem for them so they can just fly on) only
- when i placed a lucky shot i managed to blast off a
- flap or small tail part. I thought
- the aircraft is capable of dealing huge damage, but
- I can't do that when I fly it. How to shoot with the
- P-47?

Though .50 are little weaker than in RL,for a good effect you need to get in range of less then 100m.Also set your convergenct prior to distance while you shoot.

- FW aircraft sensitive steering
- When I fly the FW aircraft I can't aim with it as
- well as the bf-109 because it's steering is
- oversensitive. The yak-3's steering is
- also quite sensitive, but still flyable. Am I doing
- something wrong?

FW190 is a very stable gun platform.Check your stick settings.Jurinko though 20 clicks an the positive trim will do - worked for me.

- Fw aiming
- The FW aircraft have a small crosshair which is
- close to the nose of the aircraft. When i want to
- make a deflection shot, the nose covers
- up my target! I have this in other planes as well,
- but it is especially difficult in the Fw aircraft.
- Any solution?

This is a <u>serious</u> solution - forget you ever though of it.

- Spotting ground units from high altitude
- I made a mission, where I flew a stuka and had to
- bomb howitzers. From 1500 m (minimum dive bomb
- attack height) I can't even see a
- howitzer on the ground. Others experience this as a
- problem as well?

Known problem there to which isn`t a solution.Anything I can tell is just have better eyesight.

- Identifying friends and allies without icons
- It's impossible for me to identify friends or
- enemies in online dogfights without icons on.
- Solution?

Fly without icons.Do it long enough until you`ll be used to identify almost every shape of every aircraft type.I know I did.

"degustibus non disputandum"

<center>http://carguy.w.interia.pl/tracki/sig23d.jpg

<center>"Weder Tod noch Teufel!"</font>[/B]</center> (http://www.jzg23.de>[B]<font)

XyZspineZyX
07-13-2003, 10:32 PM
First, welcome.
The freezes.. they are probably caused by your sistem , if he isn't good enough to run FB. Also try to defragment your HDD once in a while.
The P-47 is now undermodeled, wait for the patch.
The 190 is indeed oversensitive, and also stalls easily. IMO, 109is not that senzitive when you get used to it.
The Yak3 also seem kinda "slippery" to me.
I don' usualy fly the 190, but You could try to come in "reversed". I used this a few times, and seemed to work. Maybe some Wurgr-lovers could help you here.
The La(?) cannon.
What La you reffer? The La5 series seem to be more shaking then the La7. How you can't hit anything with the Yak 3 cannon? I don't get it.
About grount arget, well, can't help you here.
Identifieing "friend or foe" , that requires more skill and good eyes, if you are close enough and the light is permitting, you could just look at the markings, but from far away( not too far) you could look at the shape of the A/C to identify it, but you gotta have good eyes and know realy good all the plane.
Taxiing.
After you set the takeoff waypoint, zoom and set the icon that represents you somewhere near a hangar or somthing like this..

"The show must go on..."
<center>http://www.btinternet.com/~jj_b/vaw/images/iar81t.jpg </center>

XyZspineZyX
07-13-2003, 10:37 PM
-get FRAPS. Load TheBlackDeath track. Start logging FPS at the 0:05 mark and stop at the 2:30 mark. This is your benchmark to see results of tweaking. After watching that track 100 times you will have a feel for where the stutters happen so you will see right away if it has been helped. First thing to try is to disable sound in setup and see what difference that makes. Also post your DXDIAG in tech support forum and get more suggestions of things to try to reduce stutters.

-set your convergence to the range you will be shooting at and dont start shooting till that range (no farther than 300m). Aim for important stuff like engines and cockpit. Do not shoot from direct 6 oclock, get alittle deflection.

-goto input settings and adjust the sensitivity of the various axis to your liking. Trimming for level flight at your current speed/altitude will help alot as well.

-develop some spatial reasoning skills. you should be able to know where and when it is going to be without seeing it (I know, it sounds like use the force Luke, but seriously if you get a good look at a plane you can tell where it is going. you will get better at this with practice).

-I don't fly those planes enough to have any clue

-never used FMB, so once again, no clue.

-ground targets should appear as small grey squares when far away. If you are using DirectX try switching to OpenGL and see if that helps.

-when they get close enough to change from dots to blobs you can ID most planes. With the extra planes in FB it is a little harder (I havn't seen enough brewsters and such to learn them yet). Generally, square wings are LW and pointed wings are VVS. P39 looks like 109 but has longer nose. In general the wingshape and size are how to ID (note that 109 generally looks very large with square wings even though it is small). While you are learning to ID you can practice your intercept trajectories, by the time you have bounced 100 or so friendlies you will not only have learned to ID from a distance, but will be quite proficient at plotting good intercept paths.

XyZspineZyX
07-13-2003, 10:47 PM
Freezes/hickups.
- frame rate,
- fix it?

How much RAM have you got. I had this problem at first and upgraded to 1gb Ram and it solved this. FB eats Ram for breakfast. also check what Hz your monitor is set to. Xp defaults to 60Hz which killed my frame rates but some kind person on this forum told me to download a small program called refreshlock which I set to 85Hz and this made a big difference.
It takes alot of tweaking to get things running smooth but hopefully the patch will sort most of these issues.
We hope/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

http://mysite.freeserve.com/fbscreenshots/images/0-picture.jpg

"LOOK MUM NO HANDS"

XyZspineZyX
07-14-2003, 12:38 AM
agree that ram is worth a look

Try practice your shooting in quarter speed while aiming for vulnerable spots like engines on bombers, wing roots on fighters, radiators on Il2's. Play teracks back from target perspective to check your shooting. Always shoot trimmed with ball centred.

As far as the 190 goes ... when taking on bombers I tend to either come up from underneath and then invert or come down inverted from above so vis is not a problem.

XyZspineZyX
07-17-2003, 10:13 PM
FW 190:

Still I can't prevent the nose going up and down while aiming with the plane, when I zoom on the gunsight it's impossible to hit anything. With the Bf-109 I can aim fine. My joystick settings are ok. I think i should buy a new joystick though to replace my three/two year old Logitech Wingman Force 3D.

I heard microsoft stops the production of sidewinder joystciks so they will be sold at a discount? And what is trim?

La and Yak cannons:

I was referring to all of the Yak and la cannons. Hitting something with the La is hard, on the Yak i hit more with the machine guns. I'll probably need some practice.

RAM and stutters:

I've got 384 mb ram (256 + 128). However, the stutters only happen at startup and sometimes when shooting for some minor seconds, so it's not a real problem.

Landing light:

When I want to turn on the ultra bright landing light on the bf109, it keeps saying "landing light: off" when I press the key for the landing light?

XyZspineZyX
07-18-2003, 08:32 PM
One more question.

How can I change the view to enemy/friendly ground units? I'd like to knoew, cause that would be useful to see the damage I caused with bombardments. Control+F2 and other combinations under Controls -> Views won't work.

XyZspineZyX
07-19-2003, 10:56 AM
*UPPED*

Could someone please answer my questions?

XyZspineZyX
07-19-2003, 11:46 AM

This is very hard (The best way is to hit F5 to paddlock onto ground targets. You will
then see a triangle over target. hit F5 repeatedly to cycle through near by ground targets.Once you know where the targets are you can hit F5 to turn the triangle off for a more realistic bombing run)

To see other views E.G CTRL +F2 you need to change some of the difficulty settings. if you Choose Full real you will have to unselect "No External views" and "No Paddlock". These are on page 2 of the difficulty settings ( click next at bottom right of screen )

XyZspineZyX
07-19-2003, 12:40 PM
The_Red_Arrow Questions:
"FW 190:

Still I can't prevent the nose going up and down while aiming with the plane, when I zoom on the gunsight it's impossible to hit anything. With the Bf-109 I can aim fine. My joystick settings are ok. I think i should buy a new joystick though to replace my three/two year old Logitech Wingman Force 3D."

Wingman 3D I have it about same age too, I had same jumpy trouble, Try using the Profiler. It makes a big difference. Should be on CD or D\L from site. You will need to make severla tests ie: adjust, fly. adjust, fly till smooth. DONT TOUCH ingame settings if you use profiler- it just mixes things up!)

"And what is trim?"

Trim fine tunes your plane angle. I dunno exactly how it works in reality, but you can adjust the plane`s position so when it flies it doesn`t always keep veering up, or veering down, or sideways. Once mastered you can use it like an extra joystick adjusting it for perfect aiming, or easier landing or just to cruise for hours without touching the stick. The truth is we can`t hold your hand to show you. You just have to try it.
Go into controls configure your trim keys. To see it work go to plane on runway and press your trim button up. Do NOT touch your joystick. Look at your joystick in cockpit. If trims working you should see your joystick moving up very slightly by itself= THAT`S your TRIM working.

"La and Yak cannons:

I was referring to all of the Yak and la cannons. Hitting something with the La is hard, on the Yak i hit more with the machine guns. I'll probably need some practice."

simple answer is yes. Practise, practise, practise.

"Identifying friends and allies without icons
It's impossible for me to identify friends or enemies in online dogfights without icons on. Solution?"

PIERCE THE SKIES WITH YOUR EYES!

Spotting enemy/friends planes without icons is really hard at first. Just like it is in real-life. I read a few books on this and many pilots in WWII spent most of their first battles flying in circles trying to work out what was going on. This is EXACTLY what happened with my first time online without icons!

But...
After a while you start to recognise the shapes of planes. How they look. Even at dot-distance you can work out what`s prob happening. One one server I had a plane coming up behind me, usually it would be my wingman. But the way he lined up and was coming in fast spelt Danger even before I saw it was a BF I acted to avoid him. And even if it`s not- take action anyway until your sure. These planes all fly a certain way when doing something.

Basically it takes time, but it`s worth it. To start I`d stick with icons. But minimum.

(As a side point I actually flew in formation with an enemy squad when I got lost and from my own team. The Bfs infront had no idea- and neither did I at first! This was cos I didn`t come in on an attack vector they thought I was friendly!)

Landing light:

`When I want to turn on the ultra bright landing light on the bf109, it keeps saying "landing light: off" when I press the key for the landing light? /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif `

I think it`s fixed in patch- not major prob really.

Anyway, hope this helps a bit....

Message Edited on 07/19/0311:41AM by SeaFireLIV

XyZspineZyX
07-24-2003, 06:42 PM
Thanks for answering /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif .

XyZspineZyX
07-24-2003, 11:27 PM
The_Red_Arrow wrote:
- I have some newbie questions here, though I'm
- already playing for 3 months.
-
- Freezes/hickups.
- frame rate,
- fix it?
-
I don't get this so much in quick missions, but I did get it in Campaign Missions. I looked round in all directions, to get the stuttering out of the way, before moving. Same sort of thing with shooting - give your guns a quick blip before you use them in anger. My guess is this loads textures and and sounds into RAM. Anyway, it seemed to help.

- P-47
-How to shoot with the
- P-47?
Basically pick your targets: I go for engines, or pilot in a headon pass. Be patient: Once a bomber has a damaged engine, wait for it to fall out of formation and then finish it off at your leisure
-
- Fw aiming

Have a look at the FW190 cockpit discussion in Oleg's Ready Room, if you;ve got a spare week or two. But the basic answer is no solution, short of turning cockpit off.
-
- Spotting ground units from high altitude

Yes, it's tricky. Padlock helps a hell of a lot.

- Identifying friends and allies without icons
- It's impossible for me to identify friends or
- enemies in online dogfights without icons on.
- Solution?

Likewise,I've had padlock suggested to me for this, though it seems to defeat the realism of no icons to me.

XyZspineZyX
07-25-2003, 01:36 AM
The_Red_Arrow,

I had problems with the terrible freezes at the beginning of missions also until I played with the sound quality settings. Don't be afraid to choose the lowest quality of the settings and also select 'Headphones' for speaker type; it won't sound much different for actual gameplay but you'll probably see a tremendous performance gain. This was the number one fix for me and it made the game playable.

Next, as was mentioned earlier, consider whether your RAM, processor and graphics card are capable of the graphic settings you're asking them to run. If you're trying to run everything at 'Perfect' and 'best' settings then that may be working against you; I've given up on 'Perfect' water and found I had much better gaming if I ran it at the next- to-best quality.

There were some FB Java .dlls customized by SkyPat (at CheckSix.com if I recall correctly) that seemed to help my game's draw rate a little. If you're able to track those down you might see a little boost if fps.

----------------

As for the P-47s gun strength, are you firing all eight guns at the same time? The way the guns are configured by default, the joystick trigger button fires four of the guns and a second joystick button fires the other four. You can combine them by reprogramming the keys using the game's hardware configuration area.

http://www.battlefield.ru/gallery/ww2_tanks/t35_1.jpg