PDA

View Full Version : crashing to desktop... give us an answer!!

smilterman
10-18-2004, 08:19 AM
Hi there,
for all u people who are still crashing to the desktop, I'm opening a new discussion and hope that ubisoft has an answer this time because in Belgium (where I live) there isn't even a helpdesk to phone and the mail I sent to support is not answered. So here we go again.

After installing the game, which, after many attempts, went correctly, I launched the game with the myst IV icon on the desktop. But every time I launch it, it shows the book (so I think, yep, let's start playing), after that, I get a black screen with the litle hourglass, and then, back to the desktop.
I got win xp running on an AMD Athlon xp 1800+ 1.53 GHz and 1 GB of ram. I got a PixelView GeForce FX5700LE video card with 256 ram and all the latest drivers and stuff so everything should be working fine..., but it doesn't.
So please, please, please, somebody from ubisoft or anybody who has been participating in making the game, could anyone of u help out all those people who have this problem.
I know it's a long message and I copmlain a lot, but when u buy a game as cool as myst IV and u can't play it, it realy sucks, so thanx in advance.

smilterman
10-18-2004, 08:19 AM
Hi there,
for all u people who are still crashing to the desktop, I'm opening a new discussion and hope that ubisoft has an answer this time because in Belgium (where I live) there isn't even a helpdesk to phone and the mail I sent to support is not answered. So here we go again.

After installing the game, which, after many attempts, went correctly, I launched the game with the myst IV icon on the desktop. But every time I launch it, it shows the book (so I think, yep, let's start playing), after that, I get a black screen with the litle hourglass, and then, back to the desktop.
I got win xp running on an AMD Athlon xp 1800+ 1.53 GHz and 1 GB of ram. I got a PixelView GeForce FX5700LE video card with 256 ram and all the latest drivers and stuff so everything should be working fine..., but it doesn't.
So please, please, please, somebody from ubisoft or anybody who has been participating in making the game, could anyone of u help out all those people who have this problem.
I know it's a long message and I copmlain a lot, but when u buy a game as cool as myst IV and u can't play it, it realy sucks, so thanx in advance.

Ubi_Warder
10-18-2004, 12:58 PM
post DXDIAG - click start, click RUN, type DXDIAG in the text field. Press OK.

After the tool opens, click on SAVE ALL INFORMATION on the bottom right hand corner. save the file onto your desktop as a text file.

Copy and paste that info as a reply to this thread.

maztec
10-18-2004, 01:31 PM
I guess my response and posts in the patch thread mean nothing since I'm not a paid employee from Ubisoft, nor was I involved in the development of the game.

And it's not likely you'll get someone from Ubisoft tech posting here, they spend their time actually responding to the tech support pages -- which are available internationally.

Ubi_Warder has a good point, what's your systems status?

As for crashing to desktop, the first two patches will contain a host of fixes for these behaviors, if yours is fixed will depend if it's amongst those that are known to be problems.

10-18-2004, 06:34 PM
Hope this get's someone closer to the answer. After trying to start the game AGAIN, I decided to do the ctrl alt delete trick. I only hit ctrl alt and missed the delete. The options menu actually opened. I couldn't make any changes ,but continued my quest. If I pressed ctrl alt and tried to load a new game, the game started (without audio). Beautifull graphics but no audio. My audio works fine until the game is launched. The audio initially worked until I updated to EAX4.0. I'll fix that first.

My system is P4C800-E deluxe
P4 3.2 Prescott
2 GigRam
Asus 9570 (5700FX) 256 mb ram
Creative Labs Audigy 2ZS PLatinum
Yamaha 712A DVD

First step is to roll back to EAX3.0

I'll treat this like the first puzzle to solve. NOT.

BodaMae
10-19-2004, 09:33 PM
Sounds like you might have something running in the background that's interfering.
BEFORE you start the game, try hitting Ctrl-Alt-Delete and stop (delete) everything but the "Explorer" and System items.
Worth a shot.
BodaMae

BodaMae
10-19-2004, 10:25 PM
As an after thought of my last post,
You might have a faulty desktop icon if you uninstalled and reinstalled the program.
Delete it, and make a new one from the "program" files.
Start>programs>UBIsoft>MystIV (right click) choose "Send to" and "Create new icon".
BodaMae

jaydsterc2
10-23-2004, 05:51 PM
I had a similar problem where I would see the menu for an instant and then the screen would go black and I would receive an error stating that it was unable to create dir d://

After reading a few posts I learned that Myst creates a saved games dir in your My Documents. For some people they create a new username in Windows 2K and XP and they can play from there. In my case, I already had the game installed on one of my computers and I was putting it on the other. I noticed that Myst was NOT creating a saved games dir in my "My Documents". My guess is that this is because I have "My Documents" set to my D: drive not "Documents and Settings\..."

I was able to fix my problem and get the game running my copying the saved games folder from my second computer to my D: drive (My Documents).

For those of you who have had to create a new user to play the game, I recommend trying to copy the Saved Games folder from the "My Documents" of the new user to the one you usually use and see if that works.

Thanks