PDA

View Full Version : Black Cross Red Star Vol I

dbuff
12-01-2008, 06:28 AM
There is one on ebay today if anyone interested.

dbuff
12-01-2008, 06:28 AM
There is one on ebay today if anyone interested.

wintergoose
12-03-2008, 08:44 AM
I am interested but the price is way way to high.

JSG72
12-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the Idea dbuff. I already have Vol. 1 (Got it when it first came out.) I should really be following the series though and Vol 2/3. Don't seem that expensive. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Treetop64
12-06-2008, 12:56 AM
They never printed enough of those... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

SkyChimp
12-16-2008, 05:32 PM
You're not missing anything. I had Volumes I and II and thought they rather sucked. I sold both volumes for $350. Definitely not worth all the hype.

Kettenhunde
12-16-2008, 06:02 PM
You what they say about opinions!

The books would not command such a high price if they were not well researched as well as a very interesting read.

http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?inkey=1-9781161462142-0

K_Freddie
12-16-2008, 06:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SkyChimp:
You're not missing anything. I had Volumes I and II and thought they rather sucked. I sold both volumes for $350. Definitely not worth all the hype. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm guessing here, but I detect that these books are not in your area of interest ?
If not.. any reasons (I'm chasing these books and would like to know opinions)
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

SkyChimp
12-16-2008, 06:31 PM
I thought the books were well researched. Some of the information I had read elsewhere. Certainly, some of the plates were really nice to look at. But for the most part, you could glean most of what was in them from other sources.

I think the popularity of these books coincided with this game, and was, in part, driven by it. They came out about the same time. It seemed to me the folks willing to pay the high prices were gamers who became interested in the subject. The guy that bought my copies admitted as much. Given the quality of the books and the price he was willing to pay, I was all too happy to indulge him. I never thought the series ever rose to the level of individual book like "Six Months To Oblivion" and "To Win The Winter Sky."

Freiwillige
12-16-2008, 06:39 PM
I have read the first book and I loved it. Unfortunatley the library wanted it back! It was very well researched and gave an overall feeling of life on the eastern front from the veiw of the VVS/Luftwaffe. It also gives a great appriciation to the VVS for hanging on thru those bloody first two years. To say that it was a shooting gallery for the Luftwaffe would be an understatment.

With that said I would gladly pay 40$ for this book but never ever would I pay the prices being asked currently! Supply and demand have driven this books cost well beyond its worth.

Kettenhunde
12-16-2008, 07:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">you could glean most of what was in them from other sources. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well according to the authors unless they are big liars, much of the material comes from Russian and German archives. The strength of the series was the fact it references, compares, and contrast's previously unavailable archival evidence from both sides of the same battle. Fleshing this out is some great interview and first person accounts from the veterans who lived it.

Considering no one else has had such open access to both sides information, I would certainly like to know the other sources you have found!

Can you name them; I will add them to my library!

Thanks.

All the best,

Crumpp

SkyChimp
12-16-2008, 08:03 PM
I didn't say they didn't have some unique content, hence my use of the word "most." (BTW, what good's a library if you don't read? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)

BGs_Ricky
12-17-2008, 02:07 AM
Unfortunately Vol I is the less well produced of the series, with some poor printed pictures and no aircraft plates. Still the content is very good, probably the most complete published material about the air war on the eastern front, and I always come back to it when I need some info about some specific battles/operations/time frame.
It's quite a shame that they never reprinted it, the copies you see on the net are sold at totally ridiculous prices, I spent about 80$ for my copy and I think it was already a bit too much.

SkyChimp
12-17-2008, 04:08 AM
I agree, Vol I was poorly produced. Low quality paper, poor photo reproductions, large type. Interesting book, but definitely not worth the prices some people are willing to pay for it. I sold VI and VII for $350, but I've seen them go for much higher. Absurd (for the buyer, not the seller).

Kettenhunde
12-17-2008, 12:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> It's quite a shame that they never reprinted it, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Volume 1 certainly did not have same quality as the later volumes but I agree it was still and outstanding publication.

One of the reasons for the high prices is not only the quality but the fact they did not reprint the books. Hopefully the high prices will convince a publisher it will be worth it to reprint them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I didn't say they didn't have some unique content, hence my use of the word "most." (BTW, what good's a library if you don't read? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When you stated that "most" of the information could be found in other publications, I just thought you could make some concrete suggestions about specific books to add to my library.

I did not realize you could not or would turn it into something other than me just asking for your advice.

All the best,

Crumpp

mandrill7
12-17-2008, 04:41 PM
I second that. If much of the material in BCRS was available elsewhere, the other sources certainly never made my radar screen!

I thought the books were invaluable as a history. I only bemoan the fact that Vol IV seems delayed with no release date in site. (Damn! That was the volume that was going to be about Uranus and the Kuban campaign. Finally, the VVS would get a little payback for all the beatings it took in Vols 1-3)!