PDA

View Full Version : Initial Hang on Splash Screen, now crashes on menu page

trystanfrye
10-06-2018, 11:28 PM
CPU: i7-4930k
Video: 1080Ti
RAM: 64GB

After I installed the game it hung on the splash screen, repeating the music, for 30 minutes before I used Task Manager to kill it. After that first time it now crashes every time when I get to the menu screen. I've sent crash reports.

One thing I noticed is that when it is on the "Press any key..." screen the message flips back and forth very fast between the "Press any key" message and what looks like a console control key. On the menu what I think are key instructions flips rapidly between console controller A and B keys and some keyboard key that I can't catch.

Hope this gets patched soon.

uber-drew
10-06-2018, 11:39 PM
I just get hung up on the splash screen. They really need to patch this.

i7 6700k
GTX 1080
32 GB RAM

UbiGabrinth
10-07-2018, 04:27 AM
We are certainly looking into the crashes that users are experiencing, and I am very sorry to hear you are unable to play our game! Are you using Microsoft Storage Space? Where do you have Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Uplay installed?

trystanfrye
10-09-2018, 02:38 AM
I primarily use my computer for complex flight simulators, and as such I have many controllers with lots of axes and buttons. As I stated in the original post, it looked like the text was bouncing back and forth between keyboard controls and what it thought was a game controller. But it may have thought there were many game controllers.

In any event, I disconnected all my USB controllers and now the game works perfectly. My suggestion to the devs (I'm a 40 year software developer myself) is to check that the controller detection code doesn't freak out when many controllers are detected.

Once I got into the game I saw there there is an option to auto detect controllers or to just use keyboard and mouse. I;m going to see if I can reconnect the controllers when I have the option set to keyboard and mouse and I'll post the results here, but it will probably be a day before I get a chance to do it.

trystanfrye
10-10-2018, 03:17 AM
I reconnected my USB controllers with the controller setting to "Keyboard and Mouse" and everything continued to work fine. I changed the setting back to "auto detect" and experienced the same symptoms as before: rapid changing between controller buttons and keyboard keys.

I disconnected the USB controllers, started the game successfully, changed the setting back to Keyboard and Mouse, closed the game, reconnected all my controllers, and restarted the game. It works great now.