PDA

View Full Version : The greats and the bads of ACB *Spoilers*

LordWolv
11-21-2010, 06:38 AM
This discussion contains spoilers.

I'm a massive fan of Assassin's Creed II, I personally think it's better than the first one. When I got my hands on ACB and found out Ezio is back I was slightly disapointed. I was hoping that somebody else would be under the hood - or atleast I did before I started the game.

I think that Ubisoft couldn't have come up with a better storyline than Ezio's. However, at the end of AC2 it seemed like the end of Auditore's tale. The storyline of ACB was brilliant, I think, but not as impressive as AC2's. I think that they rushed the storyline abit, because if they gave themself a few more years they could have put somebody else under the hood.

The gameplay of ACB is, overall, very familiar. Free running, horse riding, and fighting is pretty much nothing new to us dedicated AC fans. Chainkills and epic new counter-kills change it slightly, as do the new weapons and equipment.

The BAM moves (Brotherhood Assisted Moves) arn't as exciting as I expected them to be, as I hardly needed them. Still a fun little extra.

My main problem with ACB though is the lack of actual assassinations. AC was full of them, AC2 less and ACB only has a few. For ACB they've concentrated on battling and almost eliminated the first word of their game name. I personally love the assassinations, so I was slightly disapointed.

I hate cliffhangers, and the end of ACB offers a massive one. I mean, Desmond killing Lucy was slightly annoying. Not great.

The multiplayer is a brilliant bonus, I don't think it was needed and isn't perfect, but it's still great.

Isaac

LordWolv
11-21-2010, 06:38 AM
This discussion contains spoilers.

I'm a massive fan of Assassin's Creed II, I personally think it's better than the first one. When I got my hands on ACB and found out Ezio is back I was slightly disapointed. I was hoping that somebody else would be under the hood - or atleast I did before I started the game.

I think that Ubisoft couldn't have come up with a better storyline than Ezio's. However, at the end of AC2 it seemed like the end of Auditore's tale. The storyline of ACB was brilliant, I think, but not as impressive as AC2's. I think that they rushed the storyline abit, because if they gave themself a few more years they could have put somebody else under the hood.

The gameplay of ACB is, overall, very familiar. Free running, horse riding, and fighting is pretty much nothing new to us dedicated AC fans. Chainkills and epic new counter-kills change it slightly, as do the new weapons and equipment.

The BAM moves (Brotherhood Assisted Moves) arn't as exciting as I expected them to be, as I hardly needed them. Still a fun little extra.

My main problem with ACB though is the lack of actual assassinations. AC was full of them, AC2 less and ACB only has a few. For ACB they've concentrated on battling and almost eliminated the first word of their game name. I personally love the assassinations, so I was slightly disapointed.

I hate cliffhangers, and the end of ACB offers a massive one. I mean, Desmond killing Lucy was slightly annoying. Not great.

The multiplayer is a brilliant bonus, I don't think it was needed and isn't perfect, but it's still great.

Isaac

BK-110
11-21-2010, 07:08 AM
I liked the game, but as an Assassin's Creed maniac I found Brotherhood a bit disappointing. As you mentioned, there were very few actual assassinations.

But my biggest problem was how the game constantly skipped to things without much explanation of what happened. The scenes kind of didn't feel connected, especially in the end. The sudden jump from 1503 to 1507 felt awkward, the scene after killing Cesare even more so.

Then there's the ending of Desmond's part which lacked any closure whatsoever, with Desmond apparently in shock, saved by the Assassin's and stuck into the Animus again...

Nick1021
11-21-2010, 07:17 AM
I was very disappointed. The missions are insanely hard(if you try to get 100%). Most of the time because you have start the WHOLE mission again. And like you said not a lot of assassinations. And the game was awfully short. I barely got any of the weapons or anything. And I was very disappointed by the end of Ezio story. I wanted to fight Cesare while he was strong. I wanted all the missions I did to make him use his last resources and resort. Like I hoped destroying war machines and borgia towers would destroy his resources letting me fight him fairly, not after he escaped prison. And I REALLY hoped the assassins would be in the last scene. I was training them just for the last battle. And really, the assassins were never needed. They barely helped. And same with the horse thing being in the city. Didn't get to do anything with that.

But I do like the multiplayer, but I'm about to be level 50 today or tomorrow, the multiplayer is quite short itself, I really hope they add more levels, even if it's jut for cosmetics.

superbalex
11-21-2010, 07:30 AM
nick is right.. the game is to short and the ending sucks.. multiplayer really needs shorter waiting times.. but besides that it is quite enjoying to watch your assassins fight off some of the best guards in game ;D
even though they ubi lied about how long the game is... its still fun, its not like you can't do the game again^^
if you couldn't recruit assassins and there was no multiplayer.. i would so have demanded getting my money back for the game..

besides quite only an expansion to ac2 (in a way).. and the thing about assassin recruits and this multiplayer.. it has NEVER been tried before.. so theres bound to be some errors in it that makes it sux a little.. but who knows, maybe the next ac will be OP

MPSai
11-21-2010, 08:23 AM
"I wanted to fight Cesare while he was strong"

You know Cesare Borgia was a real, historical person right? They couldn't exactly take liberties with where and when he died.

I rather liked the ending, it brought up many more questions. I was suspecting that Lucy may be a double agent, or at least hiding something during AC:B, especially after poking around in her emails.

LordWolv
11-21-2010, 10:18 AM
True. The jump from 1503 to 1507 in a second wasn't great. The ending was okay, but I was slightly disapointed by the final battle. I don't know whether it's just me, but I'd like to see Ezio stick his blade in Cesare's throat. Just kinda, more satisfying after 10 sequences of playing than throwing him off a bridge. I'd have loved more sneaking around, climbing up walls and silently killing guards to end with an air-assassination. Also, I'd have liked it if throwing knifes killed people in one throw. And the noise of the hidden gun - surprised it doesn't alert everybody in Rome.

obliviondoll
11-21-2010, 10:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BK-110:
Then there's the ending of Desmond's part which lacked any closure whatsoever, with Desmond apparently in shock, saved by the Assassin's and stuck into the Animus again... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I heard a voice in the end that sounded suspiciously like Vidic's - are you sure it was the Assassins who found him?

Also, it wasn't meant to give closure. This isn't the end of the story.

LordWolv
11-21-2010, 10:35 AM
True, I heard that too. That would be a great start to the next game.

ultrax21
11-21-2010, 11:42 AM
i really liked AC:B and i can't wait for the AC 3 to see what happens,but there was some bad things too...but you know games aren't perfect

SolidSnakeMat
11-21-2010, 12:24 PM
Okay guys get things straight of course Ezio is in this its not AC3 Its a continue of AC2. The cliffhanger is supposed to get you to want to get AC3. The game is only short if you go straight through it and don't acutally stop to think why you are doing it. The game trys to stay accurate with the timeline so of course your going to be fighting Cesare at the time of his escape its when he died in rl. The game was perfect and it doesn't force you to use bam but it helps when you do use it. The missions are insanely hard trying to get 100% but you got to think its what Ezio acutally did. Your trying to recreate what a master assassin has done. It brings more of a challenge. I love brotherhood its better than AC1 and 2 and loved both of them. For shame on all of you talking bad about it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif for shame indeed. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

E-Zekiel
11-21-2010, 12:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick1021:
I was very disappointed. The missions are insanely hard(if you try to get 100%). Most of the time because you have start the WHOLE mission again. And like you said not a lot of assassinations. And the game was awfully short. I barely got any of the weapons or anything. And I was very disappointed by the end of Ezio story. I wanted to fight Cesare while he was strong. I wanted all the missions I did to make him use his last resources and resort. Like I hoped destroying war machines and borgia towers would destroy his resources letting me fight him fairly, not after he escaped prison. And I REALLY hoped the assassins would be in the last scene. I was training them just for the last battle. And really, the assassins were never needed. They barely helped. And same with the horse thing being in the city. Didn't get to do anything with that.

But I do like the multiplayer, but I'm about to be level 50 today or tomorrow, the multiplayer is quite short itself, I really hope they add more levels, even if it's jut for cosmetics. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. I didn't think very many of the 100%'s were difficult. I got about 85% of them on my first try.

2. Many of the 100%'s are MUCH MUCH easier to get if you make use of the Brotherhood, particularly the ones that involve not being detected. In fact, on those missions I often tried to challenge myself NOT to use it. But if I became frustrated, I just used them and it was super easy.

As for my opinion of the story... I love Ezio's overall story. I don't think they rushed the AC:B story as a whole, but I will concede that the ending DID seem rushed. It was like...This one event happens! complete it. *skip 2 months* This one event happens! Complete it. *skip 2 months* repeat 5x

I did love the AC:B story overall, both IRL and in the Animus. Some people say it was too short...And while I don't think it was TOO short for satisfaction, necessarily, I would have been happier if it was a little longer.

However, they only developed it for a year. That's 2x as long as AC2 took to develop.

I have mixed feelings on the third in terms of time to develop - I want to know the story NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW but I want them to make something truly epic and awesome so I don't want them to "rush" it.

Valaquen_
11-21-2010, 12:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by E-Zekiel:
However, they only developed it for a year. That's 2x as long as AC2 took to develop.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Don't you mean 2x as short? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Here's what I wrote about ACB's drawbacks in the feedback thread:

I think ACB's biggest and most glaring drawback was its story. Not the story itself, which is fantastic, but the corners that seemed to have been cut once Ezio arrives in Rome. None of Cesare's 'generals' [the banker, etc.] seem to have any real association with him. In AC2, we see the enemies conspire together, but not here. Aside from their unfortunate relationship to Cesare, I saw or felt no real pressing reason why killing these men would be for the better. Cesare himself is a wonderful villian - except he's not really all that villainous. We know from history that Cesare was a bad seed, and the game tells us at points that he's bad, but we never really see him committing atrocities or conspiring ala Rodrigo Borgia. Rodrigo himself takes a backseat. I understand that the villian of AC2 would feel ... emasculated ... after 25 years of plotting was revealed to be a farce, and that he would be a shade of his former self, but it's never really touched on. You can almost [almost, but not quite] feel a little sympathy for him -- but either way, if we're to feel anger or pity for Borgia, we're not given enough to truly feel anything but a middling sense of 'eh, there he is ... now there he isn't'. Other subplots that could have been expanded included Ezio's tenuous relationship with his sister and her induction into the Assassin Order, and Leonardo's dilemna, as well as the downfall of Cesare [I think the Machiavelli/La Volpe plot was spot-on]. I think, unanimously, people come to AC because of the story. Of course, the design, music, gameplay, executions etc are all cool, but it'd be nowt without the plot and characters. AC1 touched and laid the foundations, AC2 really kicked into gear with the story of a boy becoming a man,and ACB scratched the surface of generational struggle and passing of the baton. The recruited Assassins played little narrative role, and though a great gameplay element, the plot of ACB seemed to promise the rise of a Brotherhood to overthrow and restore Rome, which didn't seem to happen, story-wise. The moment where Desmond realises he's in Monteriggioni was great, as was seeing old Ezio in the Sanctuary. Moments like these really rammed home the theme of AC: that of familial legacy, from races [TWCB to humanity] and families themselves [Altair to Ezio to Desmond]. I'm not disappointed in ACB, though I am underwhelmed, and I don't think it should be afraid to have Legacy of Kain-esque cutscenes [AC1, to me, seems to have been inspired somewhat by Legacy of Kain, what with the tracking down of nine men to restore your honour/revenge and save the world along the way]. In short, more plot, it's AC2's greatest strength and ACB's weak knee. Keep up the great work, because AC is one of the first, and only, great story-based games since Metal Gear and Legacy of Kain and I'm already in line to buy the third installment.

I get the feeling that a lot of things implemented into the ACB gameplay was a testing of the waters for AC3.

Black_Widow9
11-21-2010, 02:02 PM
Please post your Feedback here-
Assassins Creed: Brotherhood feedback thread. (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/4821045298)
Thanks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

<span class="ev_code_RED">Topic Closed</span>