PDA

View Full Version : New Viking armor

dreadnauta
10-05-2018, 05:44 PM
So i just saw the new viking armor and i can say that from the whole bunch only Valk and Warlord got the better treatment. IMO the rest are just terrible. Berserker looks like a homeless man, raider like a Saturday night "scary" villain from Scooby-Doo, Highlander and Shaman look the same almost zero progress on those two, which is a damn shame, i was looking forward for a furless armor for HL, instead he looks the same, with added GEMS and braids to his armor. Cent and glad, they look fabulous, but the rest are just terrible imho, nothing glorious just hobos and lame scary halloween costumes for the vikings. I am really disappointed to see the bad *** vikings get such terrible treatment.

NHLGoldenKnight
10-05-2018, 06:33 PM
Valk looks amazing, with LB, my favorite new armor. However, I wish they offered one version with clean looking boots, without fur.

Warlord is ok, but all 3 sets look too similar. Why so much obsession with sculls?

Raider is just a guy from cheap horror movies. I was hoping for chainmail shirt or some type of armor but instead we got guy from snuff movies.

Higlander as you already pointed out, too similar to current armor sets. Again, I was hoping for different armor, maybe more iron/steel in it but got disappointed with his armor sets.

Berserker is homeless guy. Ok, I would get that one of the sets doesn't have any boots on, but all of them?

Shaman, don't have opionion, only hero I never unlocked.

dreadnauta
10-05-2018, 07:37 PM
I too have thought that the raider will have some chainmail IRL armor style, i was surprised in a really wierd way to see him like that. Nothing in this new garbs of the raider and berserker says viking.

chukblok
10-05-2018, 08:15 PM
I actually love the new sets. and the raider was one of my favs. I love the scary look for him.

Velentix
10-05-2018, 08:26 PM
So i just saw the new viking armor and i can say that from the whole bunch only Valk and Warlord got the better treatment. IMO the rest are just terrible. Berserker looks like a homeless man, raider like a Saturday night "scary" villain from Scooby-Doo, Highlander and Shaman look the same almost zero progress on those two, which is a damn shame, i was looking forward for a furless armor for HL, instead he looks the same, with added GEMS and braids to his armor. Cent and glad, they look fabulous, but the rest are just terrible imho, nothing glorious just hobos and lame scary halloween costumes for the vikings. I am really disappointed to see the bad *** vikings get such terrible treatment.

I actually really disliked most of the viking sets except valks, hers were awesome, as far as hl goes I dont play as him so I dont care so much, I wish raiders sets were a little more different from each other. Warlords were a big meh for me, as a previous wl main that was dissapointing. Wish theyd put the same effort on vikings as on knights.

dreadnauta
10-05-2018, 08:30 PM
I can get why some folks like the sets but in contrast to the knights and samurai they are lame. Knights have cool armor that screams BAD *** KNIGHTS samurai have cool looking armor that scream ONI SAMURAI and now vikings have these sets that scream hey we are a bunch of hobos.

guest-Nez6tBu0
10-05-2018, 08:37 PM
I like Raiders new look as well. Personal favorite is Cent and Conq, even tho cent armor is almost same just skull themed. But I do agree that Berserker looks very awful doesn`t look like a warrior rather like woodcutter. and Yes HL and shaman almost same no change at all...Too bad especially for HL how popular he is, he started as first open face hero they could add him some cool full face helmets now etc. Samurais are all nice tho except shinobi. piece

rasi777125
10-05-2018, 08:41 PM
I find the Warlord looks **** looks for me not good why me must see the Face

UrbanGlitch
10-05-2018, 08:59 PM
Raider looks like either a Butcher or a Blacksmith, aka, someone not to go on a Viking (it's also not 'scary' at all).
Berserker only looks reasonably good as a female, otherwise, he does look homeless and nothing like a Viking.
Warlord doesn't look too bad, but they seem to have gone the wrong way with his look, he looks less realistic now than before. Just add some mail and get rid of the skulls and he'll look good (wish he looked a little younger, but that's nitpicky).
Valkyrie looks great, would've liked to have seen her face, but not a huge problem.
Shaman, apart from hair style, hasn't changed, like at all, only very minor stuff.
Highlander, who isn't even a 'Viking,' looks more like a Viking than the Vikings. But like Shaman, he hasn't changed much.

The_B0G_
10-05-2018, 09:20 PM
I liked them all. Great job on the new armors Ubi.

As far as not liking some of the outfits guys, I'm sure there are parts of each outfit that you like, I know there isn't one set in the game that doesn't look better with a few random parts thrown in.

dreadnauta
10-05-2018, 09:28 PM
Well the Knights and Samurai armors look great, The vikings new armor compared to the other factions are lame. Nothing epic about them except for Valk's. Especially on HL and Sham, they are almost the exact replicas of their default armors. It is as if the devs did not give much of love to them like they did for the samurai and knights.

UbiInsulin
10-05-2018, 09:29 PM
Here's the US version of the new armor set video for reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu1eHHD9sHw

Helnekromancer
10-05-2018, 10:26 PM
Really like the new Viking gear. They went down a bold path in going for the Leather-y look. I think once you add in the materials the outfits will really pop.

HL got some good variations, the gold and ruby trim version looks nice. And I like Shaman's Fox and Tiger pelt variations.

Warlord got some sick beards, Raider just got finished sharpening his Axe, Berserker forgot to put on shoes, and Valkyrie finally looks like a Valkyrie.

Hormly
10-05-2018, 11:05 PM
The devs had made it very clear that the DLC characters would NOT be getting brand new armors, so if your bummed out by the highlanders reveal I'd say it's your fault for not paying attention.

As for the Vikings armor I think they got the best treatment but I'm a weirdo 😄 though yes the warlords 3 armor sets all look pretty much the same

guest-Nez6tBu0
10-06-2018, 12:05 AM
I still dont get all the leather,cloth or nothing armor...from historical point they wear full body chain male armors. Then it looks very silly when berserker wearing cloth shirt and shorts and got on every attack hyper armor while Lawbringer in full plate got nothing

https://youtu.be/50cFFV8Muj4?t=232

chukblok
10-06-2018, 02:31 AM
I'm with hormly on this. Loving the Viking stuff

Knight_Raime
10-06-2018, 03:06 AM
I still dont get all the leather,cloth or nothing armor...from historical point they wear full body chain male armors. Then it looks very silly when berserker wearing cloth shirt and shorts and got on every attack hyper armor while Lawbringer in full plate got nothing

https://youtu.be/50cFFV8Muj4?t=232

Game is not nor has ever shot for historical accuracy. It can be argued that they have leaned harder into fantasy than at launch. But at launch stuff was still no where near accurate. Both armor wise and fighting wise.

Berzerker looks massively different because he didn't look berzerker themed before. Launch looks made him just look like a younger dude in viking armor. Him being barefoot, looking older, looking dirty. entirely fits what the berzerker theme was. Literally crazy, uncempt, etc.

To OP. I actually really like the viking stuff. I'm just curious on why they chose to go with that style for raider. I dig it. I'm just curious on the inspiration of it.
Kinda glad Valk didn't get a face reveal. Even in fantasy the helmet/face plate of a valkirye is a big part of the style. I think I dig her looks the most but warlord second. If only because now you'll be able to tell the difference between people's warlords. (honestly I think that was a big problem with viking armor in general.)

phjillee2
10-06-2018, 03:36 AM
I do not like the "Conan the Barbarian"-esque look they've got going for some of the characters, like the Warlord. I wish that they would have taken more inspiration from historical armor pieces. There's a wealth of variation out there if you actually do some research. What I've seen so far has been very bland and not at all iconic for the viking warriors, especially when compared to how the new outfits for the other factions look, which actually seem to be somewhat in line with their historical counterparts.

To be honest I'm not sure why they even keep the name "Vikings" for the faction if they're going down this route. Might as well just be called "Barbarians" to be honest.

Hormly
10-06-2018, 04:25 AM
I do not like the "Conan the Barbarian"-esque look they've got going for some of the characters, like the Warlord.

As an avid reader of Robert E Howard, when I beheld the very conan inspired warlord outfit I squeeled with joy, much like a girl. His new outfits are ludicrously manly, just how I like my manly. Elbow dropping fools is all the better whilst sporting a Hogan mustache

dreadnauta
10-06-2018, 08:22 AM
If you can see from the vid you can easily compare the armors we have now to the new ones for HL and sham. They look the same with added gems and a bit of gold trim here and there, nothing new there. As for the rest as i have mentioned they look uninspiring except Valk and maybe Warlord. As i said Berserker looks like a hobo, nothing inspiring about that and nothing Viking, Raider also off, are they trying to make the viking faction in to a halloween costume party mixed with a bunch of hobos ?

This is why i am so bothered by the new outfits Samurai and Knights have the better treatment, they look as great representatives of their factions, while these guys do not. They look like beggars. As stated before there are really awesome historical armor that the devs could get inspiration from. Just compare the berserker to a hobo and you will see what i mean.

Skarin279
10-06-2018, 10:29 AM
Warlord got Highlander faces and the 3 armors look pretty the same. Straight cutted hair looks like a wig.... warlord should be the old man not the battlefield, and not zerker! I think the whole face thing is mixed/messed up.

The leather style is cool and valk is by far the best looking character. Nice work on this one.

UrbanGlitch
10-06-2018, 11:45 AM
Game is not nor has ever shot for historical accuracy. It can be argued that they have leaned harder into fantasy than at launch. But at launch stuff was still no where near accurate. Both armor wise and fighting wise.

Berzerker looks massively different because he didn't look berzerker themed before. Launch looks made him just look like a younger dude in viking armor. Him being barefoot, looking older, looking dirty. entirely fits what the berzerker theme was. Literally crazy, uncempt, etc.

To OP. I actually really like the viking stuff. I'm just curious on why they chose to go with that style for raider. I dig it. I'm just curious on the inspiration of it.
Kinda glad Valk didn't get a face reveal. Even in fantasy the helmet/face plate of a valkirye is a big part of the style. I think I dig her looks the most but warlord second. If only because now you'll be able to tell the difference between people's warlords. (honestly I think that was a big problem with viking armor in general.)

Of course this game leans more on fantasy, but the fact is that the Devs stated that they were going for more realistic, battle-ready armour for each character, which every faction got (and very well mind you), but the Vikings, none but Valk look like they are going to battle or look even remotely realistic to their real life counterparts.

dreadnauta
10-06-2018, 03:00 PM
Sigh that's why i made this topic to make some sort of awareness about the new viking armor. I really hope that the devs will remake the Raider, berserker, HL, shaman armors maybe even the Warlord. But i don't think they will. My thoughts on the viking armors are that the devs were lazy in making the viking armor or they just did not care about them. I can only hope if they remake them but the obvious answer most devs and yes men will say that it takes LONG time to make new armor etc, etc.

rasi777125
10-06-2018, 05:04 PM
Warlord look **** 👹👹👹

XJadeDragoonX
10-06-2018, 06:35 PM
Unfortunately all the effort went into the knights and samurai. Mostly samurai. The Vikings all look horrible except the valkyrie. But in reality, the dev's dont care. So oh well lol

Vakris_One
10-06-2018, 09:30 PM
Ok so just gonna say these two things because I feel they need saying.

1) The devs do care. If they didn't care we wouldn't be getting brand new armours for the vanilla heroes and new variations for the DLC heroes. And all this FOR FREE! Almost all other triple A titles would charge a premium rate for this type of content but we get it for free. Keep that in mind. Just because you personally may not like some of the armours doesn't mean the devs are lazy or don't care.

2) There will be more new armours in the future. If you don't like some of these new armours then that's fine and you are entitled to your opinion. A productive thing to do would be to suggest examples of types of armour that you would like to see and hopefully the next time they release new armours they will have more stuff that you do like the look of.

bannex19
10-06-2018, 11:05 PM
I enjoyed all the armors. They will mix with the older ones nicely. I really hope they keep it up and add more!

bannex19
10-06-2018, 11:12 PM
Ok so just gonna say these two things because I feel they need saying.

1) The devs do care. If they didn't care we wouldn't be getting brand new armours for the vanilla heroes and new variations for the DLC heroes. And all this FOR FREE! Almost all other triple A titles would charge a premium rate for this type of content but we get it for free. Keep that in mind. Just because you personally may not like some of the armours doesn't mean the devs are lazy or don't care.

2) There will be more new armours in the future. If you don't like some of these new armours then that's fine and you are entitled to your opinion. A productive thing to do would be to suggest examples of types of armour that you would like to see and hopefully the next time they release new armours they will have more stuff that you do like the look of.

Glad you wrote this, it needs to be said. If this was bethesda it would be a $10 horse armor dlc...

There are some of us that recognize the support this game has recieved by the dev team over the course of its life. These new armors are a prime example that they are far from putting it on life support. There are mmos that don't get this amount of weekly/monthly love and those suckers pay $15 a month just to play it.

Regardless of how one may feel of the current hero balance, one has to admit the team has stayed committed to continually developing this IP and that should be recognized.

dreadnauta
10-07-2018, 08:26 AM
I guess we finally reached the point where we compare other companies greed with the loot boxes and DLC armor that cost real money. You are right to say those thing and to somewhat praise the devs for making new armor.

This is why i started the topic to express my thoughts and concern about those armors. It is good that the devs have decided to make new armors for all the factions but you have to understand this is or WAS a common practise back in the day, those companies that are greedy and are making paid DLC cosmetics with a base game price of 59.99$ have gone under fire just look at EA.

Yes that is good that they are making FREE armor but my point is that the VIKING armor is not inspiring like the new Samurai and Knight armors. As stated before by me and others they could easily get inspiration from real life historical armors. Those new armors for the raider and berserker says nothing VIKING and Nordic about them. Valk's armor is good, it is well made, Warlord is decent, HL and shaman just look the same like their base armor.

I guess it is my own fault when my eyes turned all googly and shiny in the sight of the knight and samurai armor, my fault for looking forward for a good Nordic-Viking themed armor for all the viking faction.

And i guess i'll say it again Knights and Samurai have armors that have a THEME about their faction, they are new and inspiring.

Vikings do not, only Valk and Warlord have the better treatment of the whole bunch, where Highlander and Shaman have just received some minor adjustments to their previous armors.

NHLGoldenKnight
10-07-2018, 06:11 PM
Glad you wrote this, it needs to be said. If this was bethesda it would be a $10 horse armor dlc...

There are some of us that recognize the support this game has recieved by the dev team over the course of its life. These new armors are a prime example that they are far from putting it on life support. There are mmos that don't get this amount of weekly/monthly love and those suckers pay $15 a month just to play it.

Regardless of how one may feel of the current hero balance, one has to admit the team has stayed committed to continually developing this IP and that should be recognized.

At the same time, I get regular updates for GT Sport with multiple new tracks and cars for free. Or GTAV is doing everything free of charge for 4 years now. So fact that we get few new armors for already broken game for free, doesn't change the fact that some of the sets are awful.

RealJayDee1984
10-07-2018, 08:46 PM
I finally got around to taking a look at the new armor sets, and for the most part I... don't strongly dislike them. The new Samurai stuff does relatively little for me all the way through, but those heroes make the bulk of my least played anyways. I'm mostly neutral about the new looks for the Knights, but I guess I might appreciate them more when I actually get my hands on them.

I'm seemingly in the minority of people who like the new Vikings outfits the best. I really dig the new Berserker look, and the Warlord stuff seems cool as well. Never had much to with the Valkyrie. I somewhat dislike the Raider armor for the sole reason that to me personally the Lawbringer has always been the 'slasher film killer' hero, but aside from that it's so crazy-stupid that I can't really be mad about it. :D

guest-Nez6tBu0
10-07-2018, 11:06 PM

are they really? you are able to purchase Steel for real money. Steel is for cosmetics. Armor = Cosmetics

bannex19
10-08-2018, 12:09 AM
are they really? you are able to purchase Steel for real money. Steel is for cosmetics. Armor = Cosmetics

Steel is earned by playing the game and filling orders. The rate at which you gain steel in my opinion is fine, any slower and it would be frustrating. Sure I'd like to get steel faster but it's a delicate balance of making the unlocks feel valuable. Ubi isn't charging you for the cosmetics, they give you a bunch of stuff to work towards. Buying steel is strictly for convenience nothing more. Nothing is barred behind real money besides the dlc.

What is your problem? If you're one of those people that feels like they need to have everything unlocked for every hero then you need to take a step back and ask yourself why.

dreadnauta
10-08-2018, 01:14 PM
Indeed the expensive 15k steel characters got some minor additions to their armor sets, looking at the raider and the berserker makes me think that it was probably a good idea not to change them much like those two.

The_B0G_
10-08-2018, 02:15 PM
At the same time, I get regular updates for GT Sport with multiple new tracks and cars for free. Or GTAV is doing everything free of charge for 4 years now. So fact that we get few new armors for already broken game for free, doesn't change the fact that some of the sets are awful.

Lol GTA V and free in the same sentence, just to buy a car in that game you need to grind for a week. Shark cards turned Rockstar into the biggest bags of s**t in the developer community, they are about as bad as EA. GTA balances their game currency so the grind is too long for most people and they buy cards online, then to compete others have to buy them as well, GTA is the biggest AAA pay2win game on console.

GT sport released with barely any tracks and a meager offering of cars compared to Forza, so releasing cars and tracks is probably just a way to keep players, because everyone complained about it on release, and it's why I personally never bought it.

So while they also give free content like FH, GTA is pay2win, because having the most expensive toys in the game, actually does help you beat other players and GT Sport was bare bones on release.

guest-Nez6tBu0
10-09-2018, 02:27 PM
Steel is earned by playing the game and filling orders. The rate at which you gain steel in my opinion is fine, any slower and it would be frustrating. Sure I'd like to get steel faster but it's a delicate balance of making the unlocks feel valuable. Ubi isn't charging you for the cosmetics, they give you a bunch of stuff to work towards. Buying steel is strictly for convenience nothing more. Nothing is barred behind real money besides the dlc.

What is your problem? If you're one of those people that feels like they need to have everything unlocked for every hero then you need to take a step back and ask yourself why.

why should have I problem? there was a claim there dat new armors are for free...does it means once they are part of the game they will they be automatically added to your account? If not then asking how they are free? I agree that gaining steel by playing game and orders is fine. Even tho you are bit forced to play parts of the game you might not like that much, but that`s different story.

I don`t agree what are you saying. Let me tell you my experience with loot lately. Inferno Dominion, I`ve played only with Cent, and I played lot. At the end of the event, I were buying bundle as I waned to have everything from this event on one of my mains. Shocking part is bundle cost me most for Centurion (20 000 or 25 000 not sure) from of rest characters. So what does this means? with character I played most I got least cosmetics, and i continued getting stuff on heroes I don`t play. I saw many times ppl complains about not able to get certain cosmetics while specifically grinding them. I saw streamers buying steels regularly. I brought edition with the seasonal pass, so I had all characters unlocked when released not spending 15 000 steel on them. I have 449 hours in a game and not even close to everything for one main, I`m still missing like 85% of things you can buy with steel. Hope this open your eyes little bit. If there is option put real money in a game, there is not such this as a "Free" but again this was just reaction for comment earlier. I`m not saying if it is Good or Bad or anything like that.

Archaelion
10-10-2018, 09:59 PM
My thoughts on the new viking armor:

Raider: Scary Halloween Costume butcher. Will steal your candy.
Warlord: Fat Grandpa. Ate too much candy.
Valkyrie: Sexy. Will use her body to get candy.
Berserker: Homeless. Will beg for candy.

yfkutfui
10-10-2018, 11:03 PM
the Shukogi looks like a fat Dragon Ball Z