PDA

View Full Version : P-39 Recovered from Russian Lake Returns to NY

berg417448
10-25-2010, 08:35 PM
"A Bell P-39Q Airacobra that was built in a western New York state factory in 1943 has returned home after resting at the bottom of a Russian lake since 1944. This particular aircraft was part of 4,719 P-39s sent to the Soviet Union under the United States’ Lend-Lease program, which propped up Allied forces with war materiel before and after the U.S. entered World War II. Miss Lend-Lease, as it has been named by the Ira G. Ross/Niagara Aerospace Museum (NAM) that is undertaking the restoration, served in a front line Soviet Air Force squadron along the border with Finland. The discovery in 2004 is rare since remains of the pilot along with key artifacts, found with the aircraft, have provided insights into the mystery of why the aircraft suddenly broke formation as the squadron repositioned to an airfield closer to the front 66 years ago....."

http://www.eaa.org/news/2010/2010-10-21_p-39.asp

berg417448
10-25-2010, 08:35 PM
"A Bell P-39Q Airacobra that was built in a western New York state factory in 1943 has returned home after resting at the bottom of a Russian lake since 1944. This particular aircraft was part of 4,719 P-39s sent to the Soviet Union under the United States’ Lend-Lease program, which propped up Allied forces with war materiel before and after the U.S. entered World War II. Miss Lend-Lease, as it has been named by the Ira G. Ross/Niagara Aerospace Museum (NAM) that is undertaking the restoration, served in a front line Soviet Air Force squadron along the border with Finland. The discovery in 2004 is rare since remains of the pilot along with key artifacts, found with the aircraft, have provided insights into the mystery of why the aircraft suddenly broke formation as the squadron repositioned to an airfield closer to the front 66 years ago....."

http://www.eaa.org/news/2010/2010-10-21_p-39.asp

Bankoletti
10-27-2010, 07:52 AM
Young hero will, after 66 years of waiting underwater in the cockpit of his kite, finally find his peace. 22 years, 7 victories, Order of glory and order of the red banner. May he rest in peace.

CzechTexan
11-01-2010, 08:05 PM
Thanks for sharing this link. I first heard the story when this plane and its hero were discovered. Nice to hear an update on this touching saga.

Friendly_flyer
11-02-2010, 12:45 PM
What a find! Thanks for the link.

Luckily no photo of the pilot this time. I remember a Hurricane find with a white, wrinkly thing being the curled up pilot, preserved by the peat water like a bog body.

R_Target
11-02-2010, 03:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The NAM plans to display Miss Lend-Lease in the moments after it landed, sitting on top of the thin ice of Lake Mart-Yavr. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm only about three hours from Buffalo. I'll definitely be checking this out when it's done.