PDA

View Full Version : New Realistic Weapons

RebelOfWar
10-04-2018, 04:34 AM
So in response to the recent new armor set showcase (which were all astonishing, something that this game really needed so tremendous work on that), I can't help but feel like our weapons should get the same treatment.

To clarify, I know that we get new looking weapons on a regular basis (really different unlike the armor variations that we've had so far)… but doesn't it feel like most, if not all weapons that a character starts to get after uncommon rarity just look out of place? Rarely if not at all, have I seen a weapon part that I obtained at higher rarity levels, which matches the overall medieval-fantasy setting that the original game tried to accomplish. The newer weapons to put it simply, look way too "fantasy-driven" and too toy-like to be considered tools of war that a battle-hardened warrior would use, apart from having them on display. I don't think that I need to provide photos of proof for that, simply all higher rarity weapons stop looking believable like the default or overall starting ones. They start to become funny-looking and are excessively ornamented with jewels and gold trimmings rather than broad and appealing, at least to the immersionist's eye.

To be fair, all of which I mentioned must be taken as personal tastes, I don't speak for all the community but seeing as you, the developers tried to stick to the game's original designs when creating the new armor sets instead of wanting to turn them into random fantasy garb, tells me that you still care about retaining that immersive feel in the player's customization. You already saw our reaction so far, we LOVE each and every new armor set which you showed days ago and I doubt we'll not love the new ones that will be showcased today.

Honestly, did you get that kind of reaction when you revealed upcoming weapons in so many past Warrior's Dens? Cause my reaction was: "meh, another samey looking weapon to add to the pile". You probably make the rarer weapons look so ornamented as a way for the player to show their high rank (gold often accomodates marvel and well-earned richness), but at this point that particular visual variety has gotten out of hand.

My suggestion would be to add new weapons that befit our heroes' natural looks, more "medieval" or realistic and practical, if you will. Now I know that there's a limit to how many realistic pieces one can put out when looking back at our history but like I said, you simply don't have to make them overly-ornamented. Hell, use old concept art if that helps, that choice turned out great when you decided to revive some old designs with the new armor sets. And it that doesn't go well with how you want to reward higher ranked players, then add them to the already existing common, uncommon or epic pool. An easy way of creating new weapons like these would be to try and make them match each heroes' armor set visually. Because the default variations of all the armor sets that we have so far, do look believable.

So that's it pretty much, any further suggestions from my fellow warriors are welcomed. As I mentioned, the topic heavily relies on my opinion, so if you all really want more practical looking weapons like me, voice it here! Let's show the devs that we are actually interested in such designs!

Tyrjo
10-04-2018, 07:42 AM
I want to see more viking weapons like these:

https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2840/33975837842_d5eb024805_b.jpg

https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4182/33938255284_f0f1bb548c_b.jpg

https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4251/34382908553_46e3589417_b.jpg

Gastgrinder
10-04-2018, 08:27 AM
i want a blank shield for the conqueror without ornaments, spikes etc.
https://images.maskworld.com/is/image/maskworld/an-product-max/soldiers-shield-black-foam-weapon--mw-108046-1.jpg

SangLong524
10-04-2018, 11:40 AM
those starter gears look like what you are asking, OP. why not try to transmog (is that the word?) your current gears? I think the devs are satisfied with those models. Realistic models are, for the lack of better words, simple looking. I think Spikes and more Spikes is something similar like this. Luckily it's less now.
personally, i would love to stride into the battlefield fresh in my shining ceremonial amors and tools. I must look magnificent while I survey the field and chop heads off.

RebelOfWar
10-04-2018, 01:18 PM
Already have changed my rare loot's appearance to the earlier gear ones (the fact that we even have this option is a godsend when it comes to personalisation), like I already stated though if you read my whole post, is that we currently have an overabundance of what you call ceremonial gear.

What I am proposing is that the developers add to the variety of the more believable weapons. Bear in mind that they can still make them look ornamented while sticking close to practical standards. Only difference should be that they'd be less crazy-looking.

Tyrjo above posted a fine example of what I am trying to describe, pretty much mundane weapons in terms of complexity in appearance but still pleasing to the eye nonetheless.

Illyrian_King
10-04-2018, 02:10 PM
I would also like some more accurate gear. It can have engrievings and stuff, but not this over-fetched jewel covered ceremony weapons.

They are beautiful, but we already have enough of this kind. Now we need more brute stuff.

Scrubnubloard
10-04-2018, 05:26 PM
I agree with this. I want more realistic looking stuff. It can have some fancy elements to it like the pole-arm holdin cross uses. It doesn't have to be gold and flashy in my own opinion.

EIGHTYYARDS NYC
10-04-2018, 05:47 PM
Here we go again. I disagree completely. I dont want my Conqs shield to have holes in it. I dont want it to look as if it could barely withstand a blow. I want it to look like my Conq is the Queen of all her lands. And in doing so she needs her innate looking armor. The intricate designs and jewels that my Wardens sword reflect that he is no commoner. So Im sorry, I dont want rusty, dusty armor and weapons. I want ones that after the blood is spilt, I can remove them, clean them, and hang them on my walls so all can see the legendary armor of my Knights.

On top of that what you propose is a snooze fest.

NHLGoldenKnight
10-04-2018, 06:02 PM
Agree with OP. Most of the higher tier weapons are really ugly and distasteful. I guess it varies from hero to hero, but I really hate most of the Warden swords. Only pimp would carry that around, not to mention it would be useless in battle.
Warden deserves to get 1 or 2 realistic sets inspired by real longswords from history. Simple blade, black or dark brown leather, steel guard with just a little bit of detail and pommel with engraved cross.

EIGHTYYARDS NYC
10-04-2018, 06:08 PM
Agree with OP. Most of the higher tier weapons are really ugly and distasteful. I guess it varies from hero to hero, but I really hate most of the Warden swords. Only pimp would carry that around, not to mention it would be useless in battle.
Warden deserves to get 1 or 2 realistic sets inspired by real longswords from history. Simple blade, black or dark brown leather, steel guard with just a little bit of detail and pommel with engraved cross.

They want to sell games, and not just to people that work in a museum. Simple is boring, you guys already have that option any way with lower level equipment. And useless to who? I know if I was king I would make the most intricate blade, serviceable, but detailed and lined with enough jewels that no other can be confused with my sword.

OoKaMi_79
10-04-2018, 07:05 PM
I would also like some more accurate gear. It can have engrievings and stuff, but not this over-fetched jewel covered ceremony weapons.

They are beautiful, but we already have enough of this kind. Now we need more brute stuff.

Just use the looks of the initial Weapons we get in the game (white level)....those look normal, without all the fancy

UrbanGlitch
10-04-2018, 10:49 PM
Don't know about you, but not all weapons that aren't ornate are dirty or rusty. I agree OP, we do need more realistic weapons

RebelOfWar
10-04-2018, 11:03 PM
Ok so there seems to be some misunderstanding or confusion regarding my post since I saw a couple of people pointing out that we could just use the default ones if we are so bothered by high rarity gear. I already pointed out that I get why a higher ranked player would prefer shiny and jeweled weapons instead of the more broad ones that we find on common and uncommon rarities. It makes perfect sense that one would want their weapons to match their prestige visually. But like I said, for the 100th time, I feel like we have a ton of such varying options already. All I am proposing is that they simply add to the "realistic" variety - NOTE: realistic doesn't mean garbage that some random hobo built up from scraps of wood and iron, it can also be ornamented just not out of believable proportions. What I pretty much mean is that most higher rarity "fancy" weapons, while indeed looking gleamy and precious and whatnot, also happen to go off-topic and more into crazy book-material or anime fantasy visual style, instead of retaining a more gritty feel. I dare you to go compare how aggressive the rarer weapons feel versus the most earlier ones, I can guarantee you that most blades manage to somehow become thinner and smaller in some shape or form, the guards, hilts and handles sometimes half the originals' size. That, is not appealing to me. I don't want a gold needle when I can have a same type of weapon that indeed looks like it can carve you in half.

You are completely missing my point if you think that I, including most of us that support what I suggested, simply want to look like peasants. I bought the game because the medieval feel it brought to the table looked unique, I am not some history geek that craved a historically accurate game in terms of weapon and armor designs and then again simply because the game tried to give you a similar feel while also offering you the Hollywood style of coolness (slightly making weapons bigger and trying to in some extent match the type of outfits that each faction would wear), I was blown away.

Back on topic what I am suggesting is to add more than like 4 - 8 realistic looking weapons that we have for each hero, instead of increasing the current pool of "shiny" gear which is over 25+ per hero. I would even be happy with 3 more for each hero, tell me if that is unfair to ask.

mrbobyub
10-05-2018, 01:58 AM
I'd love to see some realistic equipment added to the game.

https://i.pinimg.com/474x/e3/b1/63/e3b163beff9cc4f471a5ecf857f95ff1--th-century-armors.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/474x/a7/61/66/a76166f18b14599dd03223bcfebaf0f9.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/70/16/6e/70166e67f3e4f2d558df5abe0b8997e1.jpg
https://myarmoury.com/images/features/pic_spot_poleaxe08.jpghttp://www.regenyei.com/imagesB/data/images/img_7045.jpg

NHLGoldenKnight
10-05-2018, 05:00 AM
They want to sell games, and not just to people that work in a museum. Simple is boring, you guys already have that option any way with lower level equipment. And useless to who? I know if I was king I would make the most intricate blade, serviceable, but detailed and lined with enough jewels that no other can be confused with my sword.

Simple is boring? But going around like a medieval pimp is cool? Let me guess, millennial born after 1991?

If you were a king and you sword was highly decorated in jewels you would be an *** king who would :
1. Die in a battle because your sword sucks
2. Assassinated by your own people because you are too flashy and greedy
3. Somehow survive but remembered as clown king with no taste.

EIGHTYYARDS NYC
10-05-2018, 05:18 PM
Simple is boring? But going around like a medieval pimp is cool? Let me guess, millennial born after 1991?

If you were a king and you sword was highly decorated in jewels you would be an *** king who would :
1. Die in a battle because your sword sucks
2. Assassinated by your own people because you are too flashy and greedy
3. Somehow survive but remembered as clown king with no taste.

Assuming makes you one thing...my age has ZERO bearing on anything discussed in this thread. Not only are you wrong but you make yourself look idiotic.

Simple is boring when you want to appeal to the masses. And yes Ubi would like to have a LARGE population on this game. And simple will not accomplish that. Because believe it or not, they need to make money. And they need new players.

Now for your other points.

1. 1st I don't use a sword, so yeah. Also this is a fictional land, and guess what? The rams head on the handle to my flail, the one encrusted with diamonds and jewels, the one I use to strike down all that oppose the Knights, that flail, it never falls apart, it never breaks. Like a Knights resolve and concentration.

2. My people love my Conqueror's rule. She is fair, she is of the people, having been persecuted herself, she shares the spoils of war with the other men and women alike. My PK and Gladiator have been given lands, titles, men at their command, and steel stacked as high as the eye can see, their coffers filled to the brim with this steel. The people, the commoners? They all share in that wealth. Free healthcare for all. Conqcare they call it.

3. King? There is no King on these lands, but a Queen who Conquered this land and slayed the pathetic "king" who was unfit to sit upon this Iron Throne. Drunk off of arrogance she removed his crown with his head still attached, all but with a swift swipe of her shield.

Vivat Conqueror!!!!!!!!!!

NHLGoldenKnight
10-05-2018, 06:40 PM
If Ubi wants large population for this game, they will get that by improving connection issues, resolving bugs and balancing heroes in timely fashion. Not by adding gold and emeralds on every f.... piece of weapon so they could attract couple of 13 year old "gangstas" and wannabe pimps.

Also, guys like you have more choice then guys like me or OP. Weapon sets for us are available only at low tier which means we always have to pay for change and we have less options than you do. No one asked for your sets to be removed so we can get more. We only ask for extra sets according to our taste.

UbiInsulin
10-05-2018, 06:53 PM
Appreciate all the feedback on more authentic/realistic gear, everyone. I'll send this thread to the team to let them know that this appeals to people.

EIGHTYYARDS NYC
10-05-2018, 07:12 PM
If Ubi wants large population for this game, they will get that by improving connection issues, resolving bugs and balancing heroes in timely fashion. Not by adding gold and emeralds on every f.... piece of weapon so they could attract couple of 13 year old "gangstas" and wannabe pimps.

Also, guys like you have more choice then guys like me or OP. Weapon sets for us are available only at low tier which means we always have to pay for change and we have less options than you do. No one asked for your sets to be removed so we can get more. We only ask for extra sets according to our taste.

Yeah I get that, I get youre not asking other to be removed but youre still asking something Id rather not be implemented.I dont mind if you get what youre asking for but if Ihad the option I wouldnt create them. But Im not Ubi.

Bugs, balance issues, blah, blah, blah. This all needs to happen but advertising bug resolutions will not make people want to go out and buy the game. New game modes, new characters, maps, armor, FANCY armor, that will do it and theyve done this with a nice balance.

Insults do nothing for your cause, or anyone for that matter. They never work when trying to debate something. Saying only "13 year old "gangstas" and wannabe pimps" are the only ones that want as I described is false and simply does not further your cause. Because last I checked Im not 13, nor a "gangsta", and not a wannabe, a real life, or a pimp in training. I unfortunately have zero pimpage.

Scrubnubloard
10-05-2018, 09:30 PM
Yeah I get that, I get youre not asking other to be removed but youre still asking something Id rather not be implemented.I dont mind if you get what youre asking for but if Ihad the option I wouldnt create them. But Im not Ubi

There is already alot of weapons looking fancy and royal why not let the others that want some authentic looking ones get some. They release like 3 new ones every season and one during an event. I dont use all of them and infact I'm still using alot of gear from season five.They can be authentic and cool looking at the same time. Who knows you might like it more.

chukblok
10-06-2018, 02:51 AM
I am more interested in simple...yet brutal and crude looking weapons. Definitely a lot less gold and jewel ugly looking handles, guards etc. I, like the OP, have switched appearances to earlier models.
-simple doesn't have to be boring. I want terrifying looking weapons. A shiny completely black notched raider axe head...perfect for the new raider bag helm. Or an axe head with the edge side consisting purely of saw teeth?
-A simple straight warden longsword guard...but wrapped in a cloth which blows in the wind? (Or handle). With a simple gleaming thick steel blade (perhaps with a blood smear on?)

Velentix
10-06-2018, 04:59 AM
I would like to see some stock looking weapons and armor (ones that don't look old and broken up), so that you can play around with paint and embossing, with out making them look like an epilepsy waiting to happen. just nice plain lines so you can leave all the aesthetic appeal to paint patterns/embossing/symbols.

SangLong524
10-06-2018, 08:23 AM
This topic can easily devolve into a foolish “debating” personal preference.
Tbh, i think there are plenty of simple looking aka realistic weapons already, about as much as the jewel-studded ones. Okay, some may want to copy realistic warriors of old because bla bla bla, while some others, like me, are happy with the gameplay as it is, now we want to look flashy. So?
Sure, you can ask for more realistic stuffs, as long as i can ask for more ornamental gears.
Deal?

chukblok
10-06-2018, 12:36 PM
Deal.
At the end of the day we want gear diversity so we are all happy with our hero. Its hard to play a hero if you dont like his/her appearance.

RebelOfWar
10-07-2018, 06:17 AM
Thanks everyone for voicing your opinion on this topic, be it negative or positive regarding what I was asking. I didn't make the thread hoping to ignite furious debates on who's choice of appearance should be considered better. For those of you coming in here to post asking about "what's really the point of having more simplistic looking weapons" clearly you should have read who this thread was addressed to (those that shared the same idea of more of that weapon variety like mine) and the obvious explanations I gave regarding "inequality" among choices of visuals when it comes to weapons.

So, since our voices at least gathered Ubisoft's attention on this matter, I am willing to call this effort well worth it. We as a community still want new choices when it comes to believable gear, we like it when our character looks different than others. The real difference though comes through true variety in possible appearances. I don't care if you want to be a golden-plate Lawbringer with a halberd that shines so bright I become blinded or a black-skinned Raider that carries a 24-carat gold axe. When I want to look like a simple and normal (to my eyes) Warden, Highlander, Kensei or whatever, I want to have just as many different options to choose from, at this point I am fine with *just more*. Options that are not limited to like 5 or 7 (and that's being generous). If none of these choices appeal to my taste then I am to choose one of the other 20 heavily adorned weapons (fortunately I think I am satisfied with what I have now).

So the matter is simple, my real concern is that the company started neglecting the common or broader weapons for too long while expanding the "bling" variety by too large a number. I think they are more than enough for those that want to look prestigious, now it's time to show some more love to the side of the community that appreciated the originals. We want more of that. Simple as that. By no means do we want them to stop making shiny and bejeweled weapons.

At any rate, if any Ubisoft representative happened to even read until now, know that all of us appreciated the reply of consideration and are excited to see what's to come.

Elhantas
10-07-2018, 10:09 AM
I completely agree with OP... These latest weapon looks are simply ceremonial. Traditional looks are the best. Etched, maybe bent in places, battle tested equipment that wouldn't break on the first fight.