PDA

View Full Version : Countering centurions attacks

RagingtheReturn
09-29-2018, 04:27 AM
Hi all Im looking for some advice on how to effectively counter or survive against centurion on Xbox one. I just can quite figure out how to fight him and i just get frustrated with the stamina drain attack spam. I've tried to practice against him many times in the practice mode but just cant quite figure out how to fight him. I'm just looking for advice on how to counter him. I'm not here to call for a nerf or complain just looking for help from people who have figured out how to fight against him effectively. Thanks for the help.

SicKno86
09-29-2018, 04:59 AM
Can't give you any pro advice since im not that great of a player, but really the trick to get better against certain heroes is to just keep playing (and losing) until everything becomes muscle memory and your moves come out naturally.

When i first started playing i had no idea how to fight Centurion either. Even after training against Centurion bots i was still getting stomped. But there comes a time after many fails when you know what to do at what moment and you don't have to think about it. I never thought i'd stand a chance against Orochi, Highlander, Kensei and Shaman either, but now they give me no problems. But it took many fails.

Im sure others can give you more in depth info, but the one tip i do have for you when fighting Centurion is: Stay away from walls. And if you HAVE to fight near walls then be on the lookout for that guardbreak. Most Cent players will try to throw you into walls as fast as they can for that combo. And when that doesn't work out for them because you're counter guardbreaking them they usually suck.

Also, allot of Cent players use that forward jump attack wich is an easy Parry (practice in the arena)

Last but not least. Don't panic. Stay calm. At first he seems like an threatening hero because he's doing a ton of agressive moves like kicks, jabs, unblockables etc, but again when you figure him out he's really not that threatening anymore. I used to panic after receiving a single kick from him, because i wasn't sure what the follow up would be. Now i don't anymore.

I find it easier to dodge his heavy unblockable than to Parry it. I can do both now because i got the timing right (again, practice this in arena) but just see what works for you.

Knight_Raime
09-29-2018, 07:17 AM
Don't attempt to parry his heavies ever. He'll just soft feint into GB which will catch majority of the heros.
His second heavy in a chain will always flicker unblockable. But you need to understand that once it's been committed to there's about a 400ms window before it lands. If you can get used to that timing then you can always parry a committed to heavy finisher.
Don't spam switch your guard. It guarantees his jab in some instances. His kick has to be used 300ms into his dodge or later. so varrying up the timing doesn't really work.
You should always dodge attack his kick. and dodge into GB his jab.

RagingtheReturn
09-29-2018, 04:30 PM
When you face a centurion who just turtles and waits for you to attack so he can parry. Whats your advice on those players because lately ive ran into a lot of centurions who like to turtle and wait so they can parry

RagingtheReturn
09-29-2018, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. my main is gladiator so its mainly him that im using when facing centurions

yOsHiArTs
09-29-2018, 08:57 PM
The only reason I know how to counter cent, is because I played him t rep 2 or 3. I suggest you play him, just to see how he works, that's the best way to counter any character

Syn.ASUR
09-29-2018, 09:35 PM
Centurian is a character that highly relies on his opponent making mistakes. I main cent, valk etc. so lemme first tell you the mindset of a cent player. cent in itself is weak since his kit is designed around his heavies and punishes. A good player can easily counter his moves. when playing a cent i would recommend keeping you fingers in contact with the gb and parry button so as to stop him in his tracks.

next you should know that cent has a kick that only gives a free light but can be followed with a grab which will deplete opponents stamina, dont throw heavies towards a cent if countered they give a free heavy to cent and can lead to punch etc. His jab when fully charged on hit will lead to unblockable punch and then another heavy and can be soft feinted into gb.

now strategies

1. if you get hit by a heavy you can dodge and avoid getting hit by his punch (unless its a fully charged jab)
2. dont play against a cent in tight corridors or tight spaces or near walls since wall splat gives cent a fully charged unblockable heavy.
3. you can easily dodge the kick and gives you a free gb
4. his heavy even when blocked can lead to a punch be vary of that
5. this jumping leap has hyper armor so be wary of that it can be easily parried as well.

now few things players do some good players will go is hard fient into soft fient gb or hard feint into fully charged jab to catch opponent off gaurd. Dont play against a cent with aggression look for what you opponent does (BE CALM).

RagingtheReturn
09-29-2018, 10:04 PM
Thats a lot of good information thanks. I think my biggest problem is i get frustrated or antsy when he starts using his heavies.

Syn.ASUR
10-01-2018, 06:31 PM
In that case play the game not as to beat your opponent but rather to tire your opponent like once you start countering his moves your opponent will panic and think of something that might work seize that mistakes he makes and round will be yours. Stay calm and even if you do get hit by your opponent think of it as a patten learn from it, we humans by nature are programmed to follow pattern, either we have them or develop them ourselves, even the top players have patterns but what distinguishes them from others is mixing up and hiding their patterns.

This can be said for whole game its a game within a game, you control your character as well as try to deceive your opponent. Once you know how to counter the next step is anticipation for that i recommend playing even if you loose its fine just learn and understand character. It would be helpful if your atleast rep some of the common characters usually played such as orochi, cent, lawbro, conq and pk/glad. going through multiple playstyles can give you more routes to win against any opponent :D. hope this helps if you wish to practice you can add me, i wont mind playing with someone for a change :D

UbiInsulin
10-02-2018, 12:50 AM
Thanks everyone for offering OP advice. I hope you'll check back in with us to report on your progress with this matchup. :)

CRIMS0NM0NKEY
10-02-2018, 01:16 AM
I got the crap beat out of me for the longest time with centurion so I went up against a level 3 bot for a few hours until I could anticipate his moves and parry his unblockables. I do better at facing him with shugoki than others in dominion due to rock steady.

chukblok
10-03-2018, 03:12 AM
I've switched to cent because he is such a fun hero. So much personality. Currently rep 6.
-don't let him GB you
-don't fight near a wall if you can help it. If he GBs you to a wallsplat that's a bad day.
-kick is easy to dodge
-don't try parrying his reg heavies they are quick. But his unblockable heavy is easy to parry
-Dont fall for the jump attack.....it's coming in 4v4 for sure

RagingtheReturn
10-03-2018, 03:24 AM
The advice to ve patient really helped im not the worst at the game on xbox but I always rush in to fight someone so slowing down and not rushing has helped me do a lot better against centurions. still can use a lot more practice but its better. thanks all for the help. :)