PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane FM/radiator infos needed...

XyZspineZyX
10-29-2003, 05:39 PM
Hi, 2 questions..

1-- When I use the Hurricane in a dive at high speed, if I pull the joystick, the recovery is very small and maneuverability is next to zero unless speed decrease. Is this normal and why this behavior? I always thought that the elevators are responsible for this and since they are roughly the same shape/size as the other aircrafts, the plane should respond better than that. I assume something else is involved in dive recovery...

2--Radiator.. I saw that when closed, a panel behind the radiator closes and prevent the air from coming out of the radiator. Different from the 109 in that closing the radiator reduces drag. In the Hurricane, I fail to see why I should close it. It seems to me that leaving the radiator open will allow cooling at maximum while have little of no effect in drag compared to having it closed...
Why this type of radiator instead of the one in the 109/Spit?

Thanks

Stef

XyZspineZyX
10-29-2003, 05:39 PM
Hi, 2 questions..

1-- When I use the Hurricane in a dive at high speed, if I pull the joystick, the recovery is very small and maneuverability is next to zero unless speed decrease. Is this normal and why this behavior? I always thought that the elevators are responsible for this and since they are roughly the same shape/size as the other aircrafts, the plane should respond better than that. I assume something else is involved in dive recovery...

2--Radiator.. I saw that when closed, a panel behind the radiator closes and prevent the air from coming out of the radiator. Different from the 109 in that closing the radiator reduces drag. In the Hurricane, I fail to see why I should close it. It seems to me that leaving the radiator open will allow cooling at maximum while have little of no effect in drag compared to having it closed...
Why this type of radiator instead of the one in the 109/Spit?

Thanks

Stef

XyZspineZyX
10-29-2003, 07:03 PM
stef51 wrote:
- Hi, 2 questions..
-
-
- 1-- When I use the Hurricane in a dive at high
- speed, if I pull the joystick, the recovery is very
- small and maneuverability is next to zero unless
- speed decrease. Is this normal and why this
- behavior? I always thought that the elevators are
- responsible for this and since they are roughly the
- same shape/size as the other aircrafts, the plane
- should respond better than that. I assume something
- else is involved in dive recovery...

Yes, its normal. The reason for the behavior is because the force required to pull the stick at that speed was greater than what a pilot could produce. In other words: you'd have to be He-man if you wanted to pull out of a dive.

- 2--Radiator.. I saw that when closed, a panel behind
- the radiator closes and prevent the air from coming
- out of the radiator. Different from the 109 in that
- closing the radiator reduces drag. In the Hurricane,
- I fail to see why I should close it. It seems to me
- that leaving the radiator open will allow cooling at
- maximum while have little of no effect in drag
- compared to having it closed...
- Why this type of radiator instead of the one in the
- 109/Spit?

Drag is a funny thing to understand. If you have an opening in the front of a plane, with a closable flap behing the opening, you can design it to no cause drag when the flap is closed. Remember: Air is compressable.

If the flap is closed, air will accumulate at the opening and form a 'bubble' of high pressure. This bubble is not "firm", its more like gelatin... its shape will be defined by the on coming air. Needless to say, it will become as aerodynamicly efficient as nature would allow.

Once you open the flap, you take away the compressed bubble and the shape of the opening, along with built in restrictsions (radiator) determine the aerodynamic loss.

So, closing the flap makes the opening seem more aerodynmic, while opening the flap makes it seem less aerodynmic.

In the case of the P-51, throw out all of this theory because it does something completely different http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

<font face="Courier New">

_____ | _____
_\__(o)__/_
./ \.

</font>

XyZspineZyX
10-29-2003, 09:58 PM
Hehe, thanks for the reply... For the radiator, I knew all that stuff was complicated but for something so "simple" as a small opening for the radiator, never knew it would affect the aerodynamic at all... /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Oh well, you can't understand everything.. It's nice to have people sharing their knowledge like that.. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Thanks

Stephen