PDA

View Full Version : You can not compensate a stinking factory with a ornament.

RazorBlade185
09-24-2018, 05:31 PM
Try to image that you live in a city next to heavy industry and you are getting sick from the polution, how can that be compensated with a museum, a statue or a zoo? I would always be unhappy, no matter how many pink dolphins I can visit. You can not compensate one thing for the other to make you happy. It should be a system where everything should be good in order to make your people happy. In Anno 2070 you could compensate pollution with cleaning machines and that makes sense. You filter the air so it is no longer dirty. Compensating pollution with culture does not make sense.

stylisticsagi
09-25-2018, 12:22 AM
You must look at how everything went in that time.
How did cities look like in 1800
Pollution especially in the air was not something people knew alot about.
Apart from that simple worksmen and townfolk didn't have cars like we have now or horse carts like the nobility.
so where did cities grow? Around the factories as they provided work...
Because of the electrical modernazation alot of farmers came to the cities to have this more luxureous life but instead because of the overflow of workers the theme the explotation of cheap labor and people protest became a thing.

People then also prefered not to life next to a smoking factory but they prefered living there over somewhere where was no work and you would die of starvation...

As for the culture part. Who had the power in those days? (well anytime in history but then more then now)
The rich nobility off course.
And they where happy with museums statue's and zoo's.
Now we put on youtube and can look at any animal you want.
In those days people would more often never even have heard of animals from another country.
Suddenly seeing them in the flesh must have been quite a very very special thing back then.

Perhaps one day they will make an anno that goes in a loop wich starts in i think 1503 was the earliest in time theme towards 2205 and you can experience all of the times in a game wich each time there own problems and rewards. But until now we will have to do with how it was in 1800 And it was an exiting time (to play a game about not really to live haha) so i am very exited about what the dev's will all come up with.

RazorBlade185
09-25-2018, 03:47 PM
You even make my point stronger. What you are basicly saying, which is undoubtly true, is that the people who visit the zoo are typicaly not the same people who live near the heavy industry. So how can a zoo compensate for populution en a lot of noise? Especialy the way it is done is not correct. You get "X" amounts of points for a rare animal in the zoo and that should compensate for "X" amount of polution. So basicly how this system seems to work is that if you put endles amount of rare animals in the zoo, then you can endlesly polute the enviroment without people being uphappy. That is not how it should work. Above a certain ammount of polution everybody will be unhappy no matter how much culture there is in the city.

stylisticsagi
09-27-2018, 10:05 AM
Well for as far as i have seen (meaning everything i say now could be wrong) will there still be a need for workers in your factories wether it to be global or per island based.
I was also under the impression diffrent workplaces require diffrent workers from other civilization levels. Meaning that they would probably balance out that typical workplaces wich require the higher ranks will be found in your main island while lower workers will like it was in history lived near the factories.
Nonetheless the factory bosses did not lived near the factories but on the other side of town wich was still quite near the factory.
I also don't know how other countries have it but here in belgium we still have a few old factory ruins wich also still have the quite impressive mansion of the factory owner wich often stand on the factory ground itself.

But before we start panicking about the freedoms or lack of them we get in the game let's see what the dev's are comming up with.
You must also know that in 1800 the real big factories just started then so there was not yet a long term pollution affecting it's environment.

moryz23
09-28-2018, 03:47 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I've heard, culture isn't compensating for pollution. Citizens living in the vicinity of large factories will still be unhappy and get sick.

Regarding the overall island wide attractiveness as seen by tourist, the presence of heavy industry effects the city attractiveness negatively. Only in this sense can culture compensate for pollution.

RazorBlade185
09-30-2018, 05:52 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I've heard, culture isn't compensating for pollution. Citizens living in the vicinity of large factories will still be unhappy and get sick.

Regarding the overall island wide attractiveness as seen by tourist, the presence of heavy industry effects the city attractiveness negatively. Only in this sense can culture compensate for pollution.

That would indeed make much more sense. Thanks for your reaction.