PDA

View Full Version : It was the joystick!

XyZspineZyX
08-02-2003, 01:00 AM
I put this here instead of the tech support forum because it's not linked *directly* to IL-2.

Have any of you ever had your joystick stop responding for 2-3 seconds? This happens every once in a while, and it makes me SO mad! I have missed so many shots because of this, crashed so often while doing ground attack. You get the idea. It's enough to ruin the fun. I even mapped the pause function to the spacebar so I can hit it quickly when I feel my joystick leave me.

Details: It's a logitech wingman extreme 3d. (logitech has been little help in the last two weeks). it's brand spanking new, and I know it's not a hardware problem. My logitech wheel does the same thing, but MUCH less often and sometimes not for a few days. This joystick does this every few seconds.

I read somewhere that it's a calibration problem, but could not find a calibration function within IL2 or even the wingman software.

My only hope is that some of you have this same joystick (or similar) and can at least point me to the calibration utility. I've reinstalled the software, upgraded the software, installed DX9.0 to no avail.

I'm desperate, please help me. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Thanks for reading this at least.

XyZspineZyX
08-02-2003, 01:00 AM
I put this here instead of the tech support forum because it's not linked *directly* to IL-2.

Have any of you ever had your joystick stop responding for 2-3 seconds? This happens every once in a while, and it makes me SO mad! I have missed so many shots because of this, crashed so often while doing ground attack. You get the idea. It's enough to ruin the fun. I even mapped the pause function to the spacebar so I can hit it quickly when I feel my joystick leave me.

Details: It's a logitech wingman extreme 3d. (logitech has been little help in the last two weeks). it's brand spanking new, and I know it's not a hardware problem. My logitech wheel does the same thing, but MUCH less often and sometimes not for a few days. This joystick does this every few seconds.

I read somewhere that it's a calibration problem, but could not find a calibration function within IL2 or even the wingman software.

My only hope is that some of you have this same joystick (or similar) and can at least point me to the calibration utility. I've reinstalled the software, upgraded the software, installed DX9.0 to no avail.

I'm desperate, please help me. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Thanks for reading this at least.

XyZspineZyX
08-02-2003, 01:15 AM
Hmm,,, I have a logitech wingman extreme 3D. You mentioned software, but have you tried the Profiler? I`ve never had the stick not responding for 2-3 seconds though- Never! Is the USB connection properly inserted? Check it.

All I can say is I did have jumpy problems and a jitteryness with the stick I could never solve until I tried the Profiler. Now dogfighting is sweet. My effectiveness must have jumped greatly (2-4 klls per mission, where normally ONE if I was lucky. And invaluable online).

Profiler should be on CD. If not try d/l it from the site.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm

XyZspineZyX
08-02-2003, 01:40 AM
control panel/game controllers/wingman/properties/calibrate

and there ya go!

http://www.stuartairshow.com/images/p51mustangs.jpg

XyZspineZyX
08-02-2003, 01:47 AM
Got the same joysick 2 days ago and have problems that right after take off my plane just rolls to the right uncontrollably I uninstalled the software and removed the hardware and installed it again and have been fine since

XyZspineZyX
08-02-2003, 05:50 AM
Best Buy......MSFFB2....$49...no rebate.......nuff said.

<CENTER>http://www.world-wide-net.com/tuskegeeairmen/ta-1943.jpg <marquee><FONT COLOR="RED"><FONT SIZE="+1">"Straighten up.......Fly right..~S~"<FONT SIZE> </marquee> http://www.geocities.com/rt_bearcat

<CENTER><FONT COLOR="ORANGE">vflyer@comcast.net<FONT COLOR>
<Center><div style="width:200;color:red;font-size:18pt;filter:shadow Blur[color=red,strength=8)">99th Pursuit Squadron

XyZspineZyX
08-02-2003, 12:11 PM
Bearcat99 wrote:
- Best Buy......MSFFB2....$49...no rebate.......nuff
- said.

Geez, Bearcat, are you on commission? :-) The guy wants some help with his POS joystick. Don't tell him how good the MSFF2 is. You know and I know it, but until he gets one, I have a chance of beating him. I'm such a crappy pilot I need all the help I can get!

MB

Message Edited on 08/02/0308:12PM by MildBill

XyZspineZyX
08-03-2003, 02:57 AM
Thanks for the responses.

SeaFireLIV: what do I do with the Profiler? I've checked and rechecked every option, but no hardware config of any kind, it's just button mappings, etc. The connector snaps firmly into place.

Bamatt: I did that, and all I get is two panels, one for Test, and one for About. It even does that lockup thing in the Test. Sad, really. Nothing about any calibration

LtFred: That's pretty much what happens to me, but I've wised up and hover my left hand over the pause button so I can wait it out and then continue. Reinstalling didn't fix it.

I get this hunch that it might be my computer. My Logitech steering wheel does the same, but very rarely, so I can live with it. However, it works perfectly on my friend's computer. I'd like to get a hold of him and try out the js on his box. 10 bucks says it'll work fine on his.

I used DXTweak on the CD and did the calibration by hand. It works nicely (maybe a bit better), but still loses control every once in a while.

Bearcat99: I only use windows for the games (Linux!!!), I didn't buy CFS, and I'm sure not to buy a M$ js.

XyZspineZyX
08-03-2003, 04:24 AM
Never experienced that, I have a Saitek X-35 USB and still going strong. It does have a loose connection though, and once in a month it stops working until you hit it really hard with a solid object/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

rgds

XyZspineZyX
08-04-2003, 01:46 AM
lol. It's still new, and as far as I know it still works ok physically. maybe I'll try that later.

I was looking at that js too, but my puter doesn't have a gameport so I needed something with USB (or an adapter in this case)

XyZspineZyX
08-04-2003, 02:13 AM
I've had the Digital 3D for about 6 months and have noticed that the twist handle has recently caused the plane to sway from side to side .. which makes lining up shot extremely hard. I heard that some of these sticks have done the same?

<center>http://www.medals.org.uk/united-kingdom/images/uk654.jpg

XyZspineZyX
08-04-2003, 02:23 AM
How do you have the stick connected? Threw a Powered/unpowered hub, or directly to the back of the comp? However you have it connected try a different usb port maybe even two or three different ones. Sounds like you could have a bad connection.

XyZspineZyX
08-04-2003, 02:24 AM
No expert but it could be that your USB ports aren't supplying enough power.
I had a scanner that I just couldn't get working till they told me about power output from the USB ports.

Are you connected through a USB HUB or directly to your motherboard.

Are you using "internal extensions" for the USB.

Suggestion 1:

Make sure your plugged into the real onboard USB ports.

Suggestion 2:

Get a powered USB hub, that will supply the requisite power. This is what fixed my scanner problem.

Rog - out.

XyZspineZyX
08-04-2003, 09:33 AM
hello!

I think its a IRQ problem if u are using a usb connection to pc.
Otherwise get the newest patches for your computer at the logitech site.

Goodluck!!
cd_turbo

XyZspineZyX
08-04-2003, 11:19 AM
@sasKuatch
I had the same problem with my X45, it was the USB controller of the motherboard
buying an additional USB card solved the problem

with my new computer the stick also works with the onboard USB

hope that helps

quiet_man

second foundation member of the EURO_Snoopy fan club!

I'm quiet_man, but if I post I post quiet much /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-04-2003, 11:30 AM
I have had 2 Logicteck Joysticks the same type as you talked about and they both wore out fast. I had probems with the rudder controles. I dont think I will buy another Logic teck joysick ever again.

http://www.hardrockhotel.com/rock/memorabilia/elvis.jpg

Thankya Thankya very much
Van Elvis

XyZspineZyX
08-04-2003, 11:43 AM
sasKuatch, I`m beginning to think you`re probs not to do with the profiler. Could it be some kind of conflict with something else?I did have a prob with my stick once and SWAPPED the port to my other USB port. If you have 2 you could try that.

To check for conflicts do this: (XP)
Go into Control Panel, System , Device Manager, Human Interface Devices, and check out your joystick there. If there`s a red X or a question mark you may have a conflict.

The profiler really helps for smooth joystick settings in game. I have settings I could provide, but I don`t think it will help in this case.

XyZspineZyX
08-04-2003, 12:47 PM
I had that joystick. It worked for a few weeks and then its readings were totally unreliable and inaccurate. When I gently moved the stick to the left its readings would jump to the right side half the time (try taking off like this). You can fix some stuff, like the rudder (twist handle), just open it up and reposition the reader. Anyway I got a different joystick, no more logitech joysticks for me.

http://www.gtacenter.com/sig/sig.php (http://lomac.gtacenter.com)

dsweiner
10-18-2004, 03:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
sasKuatch, I`m beginning to think you`re probs not to do with the profiler. Could it be some kind of conflict with something else?I did have a prob with my stick once and SWAPPED the port to my other USB port. If you have 2 you could try that.

To check for conflicts do this: (XP)
Go into Control Panel, System , Device Manager, Human Interface Devices, and check out your joystick there. If there`s a red X or a question mark you may have a conflict.

Hi:
I have a Logitech Wingman Strike Force 3-D Joystick. Went into Control Panel,System, Device Manager, Human Interface Devices and there are two(2) entries there both for the Joystick. The only difference is that one(1) entry ends with HID. Is that correct?

Thank you,

David Weiner dsweiner@fl1.powerflite.net

The profiler really helps for smooth joystick settings in game. I have settings I could provide, but I don`t think it will help in this case. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lateralus_14
10-18-2004, 03:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by h009291:
I've had the Digital 3D for about 6 months and have noticed that the twist handle has recently caused the plane to sway from side to side .. which makes lining up shot extremely hard. I heard that some of these sticks have done the same?

&lt;center&gt;http://www.medals.org.uk/united-kingdom/images/uk654.jpg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's exactly what happened to mine. It worked fine for a few months, then the joystick input started to become extremely erratic. When I ruddered left a little, it would jump all over the **** place.

Many, many people have had the exact same problem with this joystick. Avoid Logitech joysticks, they suck.

WTE_Galway
10-18-2004, 09:55 PM
not sure what i am gunna get when my beloved MSFFB2 dies but i doubt i would get another logitech .. probably go CH

JG27_Aristo
10-19-2004, 12:20 AM
Bearcat99: I only use windows for the games (Linux!!!), I didn't buy CFS, and I'm sure not to buy a M$ js. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

well its your loss.microshafts sims stink but the msffb2 is the bomb http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

WTE_Galway
10-19-2004, 12:28 AM
the MSFFB2 was probably the only reasonable product MS ever made

naturally they have withdrawn it from the market and its no longer available

antifreeze
10-19-2004, 12:54 AM
I have to agree with the four other posts:

1st wingman joystick (not ForceFeedback) lasted 6 months before it broke completely. But even from the day I got it, the raw data being sent to il2 was terrible; jumping about all over the place.

2nd wingman joystick (FF this time) went back to the shop after two solid days of testing and configuring; same problems as the old one, and new problems introduced by the FF.

The wingman series are awful joysticks in my experience, at least for playing FB; don't know about for other games. Not only for their actual faults, but how can you seriously control a plane on the edge of its flight envelope with only 2cm of stick travel??

I thought I was krap at FB, but the day I stopped using wingman joysticks was the day that I began to enjoy the game to the fullest, and started hitting things, being able to take-off and land easily and doing tight turns without stalling.

Daiichidoku
10-19-2004, 07:34 AM
hehe I dont even mess with the FF...I have a ms pp2, no FF to get broken....not many buttons, but with this reliability, who cares?

Im even thinking about trying to buy the really old store demo model at my local radio shack, hehe...