PDA

View Full Version : sh3.exe crashing, can't load saves

minsc_tdp
08-23-2006, 04:47 PM
It seems like the deeper I get into a patrol, the more I am invested, the more ships I've sunk and the more ships are still lurking, the more likely it is that SH3 will suddenly start crashing whenever I try to load my latest savegame.

It seems especially unstable when clicking "surface cruise mode" shortly after a large battle.

I found the patrols a little boring and installed the U-Boat:Battle in the Mediterranean add-on. I made sure I could still save/load games OK before embarking on a major patrol.

The first patrol was significantly more exciting than all the rest. I ran into a convoy and sunk a few ships, sailed under them through the straits of Gibraltar to sink an Illustrious Fleet Carrier in an enemy port. I'm down to 10% battery, deep behind enemy lines, with ships everywhere, and I'm looking forward to plotting my escape.

Of course, I CAN'T LOAD MY ****ING GAME ANYMORE, sh3.exe crashed during the load sequence, usually during "Initializing..." or "Preparing the battle..." (post add-on).

I uninstalled the U-Boat add-on to see if that would help. I know my savegame files are in My Documents and essentially untouched. After uninstalling, the red progress bar you see on the title screen gets halfway, with no title screen graphics, and crashes - can't even try to load a game now.

SH3 is my favorite game. I try to play every day. But this is getting to the point where I want to give up.

Fortunately I have a backup of my pre-Mediterranean, basic copy of SH3. I guess I could restore that, back up my save games, and try loading games one by one (deleting them as I go further back in time to try to find a stable one.)

If I don't get credit for this carrier and don't get the chance to escape under current conditions, I may stop playing entirely. It's such a great game that losing a patrol progress is too devastating to put up with.

minsc_tdp
08-23-2006, 04:47 PM
It seems like the deeper I get into a patrol, the more I am invested, the more ships I've sunk and the more ships are still lurking, the more likely it is that SH3 will suddenly start crashing whenever I try to load my latest savegame.

It seems especially unstable when clicking "surface cruise mode" shortly after a large battle.

I found the patrols a little boring and installed the U-Boat:Battle in the Mediterranean add-on. I made sure I could still save/load games OK before embarking on a major patrol.

The first patrol was significantly more exciting than all the rest. I ran into a convoy and sunk a few ships, sailed under them through the straits of Gibraltar to sink an Illustrious Fleet Carrier in an enemy port. I'm down to 10% battery, deep behind enemy lines, with ships everywhere, and I'm looking forward to plotting my escape.

Of course, I CAN'T LOAD MY ****ING GAME ANYMORE, sh3.exe crashed during the load sequence, usually during "Initializing..." or "Preparing the battle..." (post add-on).

I uninstalled the U-Boat add-on to see if that would help. I know my savegame files are in My Documents and essentially untouched. After uninstalling, the red progress bar you see on the title screen gets halfway, with no title screen graphics, and crashes - can't even try to load a game now.

SH3 is my favorite game. I try to play every day. But this is getting to the point where I want to give up.

Fortunately I have a backup of my pre-Mediterranean, basic copy of SH3. I guess I could restore that, back up my save games, and try loading games one by one (deleting them as I go further back in time to try to find a stable one.)

If I don't get credit for this carrier and don't get the chance to escape under current conditions, I may stop playing entirely. It's such a great game that losing a patrol progress is too devastating to put up with.

kac4all
08-23-2006, 05:29 PM
navigate to your sh3 saved games folder and try whacking the <wherevermydocumentsis>\SH3\data\cfg\save.tmp

hope that will help

Bootsmann0815
08-23-2006, 05:36 PM
In stock SH3, a cluttered saved games folder is a recipe for desaster, especially if you haven't patched up to 1.4b before installing any addons or mods. The game as straight out of the box creates a whole lot of unnecessary saves, not all of them stable, especially in situations where lots of other ships are around your boat at the time you press "save and exit". One of the patches (I think it was 1.3) corrected that - never mind which patch; 1.4b covers them all. Note: by patching, once you named your Kaleun you get only two loading options: "new career" and "load career" (the latter only if a save exists for that Kaleun) - stock SH3 had a third, unnecessary loading option, I forgot what it was called. And, by the way, after patching you loose the "cheeky" option of ending a patrol by hitting Esc and clicking "return to base" while under water and/or detected by the enemy. You can only end a patrol by Esc / return to base if you are on the surface and undetected. Sounds harsh perhaps but it adds realism, and in terms of game performance it seems to me that any save at a point where battle is in progress or potentially imminent is a potential risk for the stability of the save.

minsc_tdp
08-23-2006, 05:57 PM
Thanks guys. I saw that .TMP file while nosing around and thought I'd try whacking it. Very good suggestion.

I'm quite sure I've been long patched up to 1.4b. The U-Boat:Mediteranean mod forces a 1.4b update at the start, but I already had it. I'm certain that on the career screen I only have "new" and "load". I've never tried to cheat out of a mission by using "return to base" deep behind enemy lines.

I agree that the more ships are around, the more variables the savegame needs to keep track of, the less stable it is.

The U-Boat:Battle in the Mediterannean seems to aggravate the situation. There seems to be a definite bug with clicking "surface cruise mode" on the crew management screen, that causes an immediate crash under many situations.

Some more investigation has proven that installing and uninstalling Uboat:Mediterannean deletes files that used to be there (which explains the blank title screen and instability).

The only thing I'm wondering is: If the elements added to my patrol were put there by the Mediterranean mod, and I roll back to standard SH3, will that savegame EVER load, and if so, will I get credit, will all the ships that were nearby vanish...

I really don't know. This is my first trip to the straits of Gibraltar and the Gibraltar port. Is activity around there usually extremely heavy?

kac4all
08-23-2006, 06:43 PM
there are more drastic ways to fix crashing games, but let us know if the tmp fix did it... if not, the there is much more that can be done.

don't despair!

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

if you want to restore your game back to what it was when you first installed it without removing it

msiexec /fa {9720C029-0C2C-4D1E-9DE0-E89971C4C8C7}

(for the US dvd install) should do it.

hueywolf123
08-23-2006, 07:19 PM
Minsc, be sure to use the correct patch

minsc_tdp
08-24-2006, 01:13 PM
I'd like to know more about these "drastic ways" to fix saves. Anyone have a tool that scans savegames for corruption and repairs them? Any hex offsets that could be checked for bad data? If I email my savegame to UBI, how long will I be ignored before I realize they aren't going to repair my save game?

Wiping the .TMP file from the SH3 saves folder didn't work. For fun, nor did Registry Mechanic, defrag, wiping the Windows temp dirs, or anything else done to clean Windows that doesn't affect SH3 and usually just serves to make people feel like they're doing something productive toward repairing a problem the company won't acknowledge.

Huey, I'm sure I have the correct patch. At least I was until you planted that idea in my head. Generally, with most well developed games, the "wrong" patch won't install.

I was a little annoyed to see the 1.4b patch says, during the very first install screen, that "this will upgrade you from 1.0 to 1.3". Support for this game seems a bit half-assed.

I guess I could try reinstalling from the original CD, repatching... but it all seems quite futile. THE GAME WORKS. SAVES DO LOAD. As long as there aren't a lot of ships around. I find it hard to believe I could have the wrong patch. If installing the wrong patch could manifest itself in this way, I'd be absolutely shocked.

Again, I'd like to hear any real methods of actually repairing corrupted save games. Last night I loaded saves backward one by one until it worked, and lo and behold, it happened to be the most recent save where I was in the middle of nowhere with nothing around.

(I have also found a tricky way of escaping a bad situation. I just wanted to end the mission at this point and move on, so I took my sonar guy off duty, causing me to lose all contacts after a short time. I surfaced and removed the watch crew. The game let me exit with "return to port" even though I knew there were tons of people within sonar distance, and with a watch crew, probably within visual distance as well. Since I had no map contacts and was surfaced, I got the all clear to warp back to port. That's just a side note to point out that 1.4b does not entirely prevent you from weaseling out of a mission in this manner.)

Bootsmann0815
08-24-2006, 09:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
I surfaced and removed the watch crew. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you do that? As soon as I remove the last man from the tower manually on the crew management screen, four eager "volunteers" jump up there immediately, automatically. Did you man the deck or flak guns to achieve the removal of the watch crew? With no Officer in the tower a lone flak or deck gunner may not have visual contact with any of the nearby enemy units. I wonder...

J.F.Sebastian
08-25-2006, 05:22 PM
I'm not alone...I seem to be able to load the mission previous to the last which is a fat lot of good! I suspect that the U-Boat install has caused a problem, can anyone confirm (already uninstalled it) before I do the same.

DarkOmen13
08-25-2006, 08:46 PM
Hi,

Well i read somewhere that there's a problem with the surface cruise mode button and that pressing can cause the game to crash.
I don't know how true that is but it's worth not
pressing it for a bit and see what happens i suppose......

D.

J.F.Sebastian
08-26-2006, 04:38 AM
Just noticed in minsc's post he/she has uninstalled U-Boat - who else is running with this expansion?

I very rarely use those buttons for control!Tried again last night, 3 missions saved the first two load without issue, the last fails.

Minsc can you confi

Sgt_Hatcher
08-26-2006, 08:52 AM
I had a similar problem as well. Running stock game, 1.4 patch, and no mods. I discovered that SHIII appears t have a limit to the numer of saved games it can handle for a mission. If you exceed this number, you will not be able to load saves from that mission. I am not sure what the exact limit is, but I'm guessing its more than 100 but less than 200. When I had this problem I had to manually delete games from the mission folder before it would let me load a saved game from that mission.

I've also noticed that the further you get in your career, the longer it takes to load the saved games list. I'm beginning to wonder if that will eventually become a problem as well.

DarkOmen13
08-27-2006, 07:18 AM
I'm running IUB and a few other small littile mods along with the odd modded sound effect.
I NEVER have this save game problem, but then i don't usually save often so maybe it is to do with the number of saves?
I only started saving often after a weird complete system crash i kept getting. I kept playing
for 2 hours or so then the whole system reset.
The problem was me modding something while on a patrol http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

It's all fixed now and never crashes or gives me any other problems.

D.