PDA

View Full Version : help fighter career in patched IL2, fuel bug?

vorxio
12-13-2004, 12:39 PM
Hi,
I'm a newbie to IL2 Sturmovik.
I patched the original CD to v1.1 then to v1.2.
Now, after a few good take offs/landings, I started the fighter career (lowest rank) BUT I'M IN TROUBLE WITH THE FIRST PATROL MISSION:

* I'm the fourth airplane
* when the first 3 planes of my squadron take off I raise power to 100%, put flaps in "take off" position, switch power boost on
* after take off I pull up the gears, retire the flaps (power still to 100% and boosters on)

But the other airplanes are too much faster than me and I loose contact with them.

I tried to reduce the fuel quantity in the mission briefing window (I thought the problem was the excessive quantity of fuel), but the combo box is disabled and I MUST take off with 100% of fuel.

PLEASE HELP, I think IL2 is better than CFS3 but I cannot enjoy it if I don't resolve this problem.

I got the same problem in the second mission of the bomber career.

Am I missing something?

Tank you in advance,
vorxio

vorxio
12-13-2004, 12:39 PM
Hi,
I'm a newbie to IL2 Sturmovik.
I patched the original CD to v1.1 then to v1.2.
Now, after a few good take offs/landings, I started the fighter career (lowest rank) BUT I'M IN TROUBLE WITH THE FIRST PATROL MISSION:

* I'm the fourth airplane
* when the first 3 planes of my squadron take off I raise power to 100%, put flaps in "take off" position, switch power boost on
* after take off I pull up the gears, retire the flaps (power still to 100% and boosters on)

But the other airplanes are too much faster than me and I loose contact with them.

I tried to reduce the fuel quantity in the mission briefing window (I thought the problem was the excessive quantity of fuel), but the combo box is disabled and I MUST take off with 100% of fuel.

PLEASE HELP, I think IL2 is better than CFS3 but I cannot enjoy it if I don't resolve this problem.

I got the same problem in the second mission of the bomber career.

Am I missing something?

Tank you in advance,
vorxio

plumps_
12-13-2004, 01:06 PM
FAQ - Why can't I keep up with the AI when we start for a mission? (http://www.airwarfare.com/sturmovik_101/FAQ_Pilots.htm#031)

plumps_
12-13-2004, 01:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vorxio:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Flaps create drag and slow you down. In a fighter you won't need flaps at take-off unless you're carrying bombs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
I tried to reduce the fuel quantity in the mission briefing window (I thought the problem was the excessive quantity of fuel), but the combo box is disabled and I MUST take off with 100% of fuel. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The easiest cure to your problem is to select a higher rank when you start a career. Then you will lead the flight and you'll be able to change the amount of fuel and the weapon loadouts.

Until you're a flight leader yourself don't start to climb before you're close to your flight.

tjaika1910
12-13-2004, 04:50 PM
Check your settings. With manual prog pitch you will need to set correct settings to follow AI.

horseback
12-13-2004, 05:21 PM
I'm assuming from your description of your patches that you're playing Il-2 Sturmovik rather than Il-2 Forgotten Battles, which patched up to 1.22, I believe. Unfortunately, and this is especially true of the original sim/game, the Artificial Intelligence (AI) wingmen are not bound by the same physics that the player is, and they have a schedule (waypoints) to meet.

The static campaigns were designed with the original game FMs (flight models)in mind, and all the patches changed the capabilities of your aircraft. The AI are able to ignore this: you are not.

There is a work around, though. Just hit Autopilot (default is A on your keyboard), and let the game do all your flying to the target for you. Then, when the enemy shows up, you hit A again, take over control of your aircraft, blaze away at your enemies, and then hit A so you can make it back to your home base with your flight.

Or, you can try to trim your aircraft as efficiently as possible, open your radiator, and haul fanny as much as you can, and hope your wingmen haven't hogged all the kills.

The canned missions/campaigns in Il-2 are not particularly rewarding, so I'd recommend finding the Operation Barbarossa campaign from Just Flight (which was designed with the limits of the player's aircraft in mind, with over 250 missions), or checking out what's available for download at the Missions section of the homepage.

cheers

horseback

SithSpeeder
12-13-2004, 05:28 PM
Another possible solution is cheat http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif ...well, I really mean, "take cuts" in line. If it's a wide runway, you can skooch up parallel to your flight leader and take off with (or in front of) him...or even get on the taxiway and run parallel with them.

I have used this "trick" when the mission is a scramble/intercept and the sirens are going off as the game starts. You don't have time to wait patiently in line for an orderly takeoff--you need to get off the ground and grab as much E as possible. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

* _54th_Speeder *

vorxio
12-14-2004, 02:00 AM
Thanks to everyone for the quick reply!!!

I think that the problem is the modified FMs (as stated by horseback) in the patched (v1.2) IL2.

Solutions are:
* cheating (the sithspeeder way :-)
or
* trying to optimize the climbing: mantain 260/270 mph and climb slower than the other airplanes (you can reach 'em after two waypoints)

This evening I'll try the (A)utopilot trick.

I'll try the Operation Barbarossa missions too.

Best regards,
vorxio