PDA

View Full Version : When should a noob...

MrBeave
09-19-2018, 04:30 PM
Hello all,

Super noob here. Just got the game and don't even have anyone at rep 1 yet. When do y'all feel it's a good idea to jump into regular PvP without embarrassing yourself?

I've played through the story & tutorial and been training in the arena and against bots but I don't want to develop bad habits only playing bots and I also don't want to be a complete joke/waste of time when fighting a real person.

What rep do you feel you could hold your own against a real opponent?

P.S. - very casual player, work keeps me away :(

Roseguard_Cpt
09-19-2018, 04:37 PM
The game will try to match you with people of a similar rep, so feel free to jump in. I might recommend restarting the queue after a minute as it might try to match you with more skilled people if it takes too long.

Vrbas1
09-19-2018, 04:40 PM
Fortunately for you (and other newcomers), matchmaking actually does a pretty decent job of pairing you up with those in your skill bracket. Sure you'll get players from time to time that are platform switching and just steamroll the match, but if you were to jump in a PvP match at a super low level chances are you will find other people working through the fundamental mechanics of the game with you.

I say just go for it and see what happens. Try not to get discouraged, and if you do just keep at it. In the end, it's about enjoying the game and playing to your degree of competitiveness (i.e. just for fun vs ELITE PRO).

David_gorda
09-19-2018, 04:49 PM
I think you should stock to one character first until you can play that Class okish. Play duels 3 reps or something and then play other gamemodes Of you like. If switch between classes alot and play 4vs4 first it Will take alot longer to get good.

DefiledDragon
09-19-2018, 06:19 PM
Just jump right in, you'll be fine.

chukblok
09-19-2018, 07:21 PM
Well rep really doesnt matter. play some AI games until you feel comfortable blocking and parrying...then yeah jump in. Dont get discouraged. its a tough game to learn. And dominion can either be amazing....or the most frustrating thing youll do all week. but stick with it. im in the same boat as you. work 50+ a week with 3 kids ages 5-11...and hockey season is starting ahhhh.

chukblok
09-19-2018, 07:26 PM
Honestly learn the basics first until parrying etc is second nature. And find the hero that clicks. you will find one.

UbiJurassic
09-19-2018, 07:55 PM
From time to time, I've heard some players say that the level 3 bots are harder to fight than most real players. If you feel you can hold your own just fine against level 2 and 3 AI bots, then you'll likely do just fine in PvP. Using PvAI will also allow you to collect some gear stats for your hero before jumping into a 4v4 match.

Charmzzz
09-20-2018, 09:11 AM
From time to time, I've heard some players say that the level 3 bots are harder to fight than most real players. If you feel you can hold your own just fine against level 2 and 3 AI bots, then you'll likely do just fine in PvP. Using PvAI will also allow you to collect some gear stats for your hero before jumping into a 4v4 match.

Oh man, that Level 3 Conq Bot yesterday... Parried all freaking Lights and Zones from my PK, then spammed me to death with his SB mixups. It was insane. Bots also don't fall for feints at all, they "know" the inputs, soooo you are fcked. ^^

There is literally no other way to win against some Level 3 Bots other than turtling hard until you get a parry.

Klingentaenz3r
09-20-2018, 09:28 AM
Oh man, that Level 3 Conq Bot yesterday... Parried all freaking Lights and Zones from my PK, then spammed me to death with his SB mixups. It was insane. Bots also don't fall for feints at all, they "know" the inputs, soooo you are fcked. ^^

There is literally no other way to win against some Level 3 Bots other than turtling hard until you get a parry.

Well they fall easily for unblockables or kicks into caber toss (all the time). But yeah, some lvl3 bots are just outstanding. lvl 3 aramusha and conq are in my opinion the crazy good ones =)

@MrBeve: yeah, just jump in :) You only learn player habits by actually experiencing them yourself. Don't forget to try to stay open minded, ask for advice and add some people to your friend list that were nice. Don't overly listen to OP-this-OP-that-talk. Oh and of course put all-talk on in your options so people can actually talk to you.
If you have troubles and none of your friends can help you out, come to the forums and ask for advice. Almost anything can be countered or dealt with. Of course there are plenty of things that are not well balanced or demand a different skill or mindset and hence can be very tricky however overcoming those kind of obstacles can be very rewarding and will polish you as player/fighter.

GL & HF fellow warrior

MrBeave
09-20-2018, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone!

yfkutfui
09-20-2018, 04:27 PM

Lvl 3 Aramausha - 1 in 10 if I'm very lucky... unbelievable blocking/parrying and dodging

E1seNw0Lf
09-20-2018, 10:20 PM
Lets say: If you can deal with lvl2 bots, it's time to jump into pvp. The average player isn't better than that. ;)

Steelsoldier555
09-20-2018, 10:23 PM
HA yall are out of your mind if you think the matchmaking system is fair, for me I dropped the game a few months after it came out because of all the broken BS that was wrong with it. I picked it back up after the first campaign of season 7 so it is still going off of my skill level from back when the game dropped! So Im stuck against veteran players and total meta Trash, and Im just a casual player!

Vrbas1
09-21-2018, 04:33 AM
HA y’all are out of your mind if you think the matchmaking system is fair, for me I dropped the game a few months after it came out because of all the broken BS that was wrong with it. I picked it back up after the first campaign of season 7 so it is still going off of my skill level from back when the game dropped! So I’m stuck against veteran players and total meta Trash, and I’m just a casual player!

I'll speak to this. I started the game on console. Got to rep 100+ overall, then saw the free sale on Steam and picked up PC. When I dropped as a "true" level 0, I was matched up with those who appeared to have picked up the game for the first time ever. From time to time, I came across those who obviously knew the basic mechanics and were either cheating the system or simply platform switching (admittedly what I was doing at the time, just to see the difference framerate offered).

All that being said, the majority of the matches I faced were with true noobs.

vsOroParryOnly
09-21-2018, 05:54 AM
just dont rage quit when you lost 5 duels in a row, it happens all the time, this is where people play and quit, or continue to become long term players

CptMatsumaru
09-21-2018, 08:48 AM
That's true.

I have played many hours against level 3 bots and they were much stronger than most Rep 30+ players.

Make custom games and train against bots. If you beat yourself against lvl 2 bots and still make 3 bots too heavy, you're on the right way.