PDA

View Full Version : Skill level and reputation in matchmaking

St0rmDog
09-18-2018, 07:31 PM
On the matchmaking screen there is always a message along the lines of 'Your skill level is slightly higher/lower than/on par with your allies/enemies'. What exactly does it mean by 'skill level'? I assume this is separate from reputation because the search screen shows that as a separate search parameter.

Also curious as to whether 'skill level' or reputation takes priority in matchmaking.

Wes8504
09-18-2018, 07:52 PM
My assumption is that "skill level" is taking stats like K/D ratio, W/L %, and possibly even Games Played and coming up with weighted scores for each of them to give you a skill level value. As for Skill vs Rep levels for match making, during matchmaking, I'm pretty sure I see it expanding the search by skill level from Strict to Wide or whatever the terms are, then widens the Rep Level by an increment and goes through skill level, Strict to Wide again.

St0rmDog
09-18-2018, 09:44 PM
I've seen some threads complaining about the matchmaker while referring only to differences in rep levels, which seems to ignore the relevance of skill level. I suppose this may be because nobody (apart from the devs) knows for sure how skill level works. And I guess this info is kept secret to avoid people 'gaming the system'.

DefiledDragon
09-18-2018, 10:00 PM
I find the quality of the matchmaking varies wildly from hour to hour. I put this down to variations in player activity. On PC we have a smaller playerbase, so a smaller pool of players to matchmake you with. When I was single figure rep I was matchmade with players from rep 0 to rep 130 something. Since I got to mid to high 20's (rep 30 atm) I find myself being matched with players between 10 to 50 odd with the occasional 100+ in there. Sometimes I'll be matched with 7 other players all within one or two rep of me, but that's pretty rare and there are usually at least two or three players who are either a few tens higher or mid teens.

UbiInsulin
09-19-2018, 02:42 AM
On the matchmaking screen there is always a message along the lines of 'Your skill level is slightly higher/lower than/on par with your allies/enemies'. What exactly does it mean by 'skill level'? I assume this is separate from reputation because the search screen shows that as a separate search parameter.

Also curious as to whether 'skill level' or reputation takes priority in matchmaking.

Here's our FAQ (https://support.ubi.com/en-US/Faqs/000033550/Matchmaking-in-For-Honor-dedicated-servers-FH) on how matchmaking works, which doesn't define MMR exactly but should give you some idea.