PDA

View Full Version : [Suggestion] [Contracts] Contracts in general

lu3mm3l
09-15-2018, 01:52 AM
Maybe I'm the only only but the open map combined with contracts completely change the way this game plays. In every predecessor you tried your best at the first time and made some more runs to fulfill optional stuff or get higher medals. Now, how others wrote: You have to find the next level to progress which, at least in the demo, starts with a contract. Most of them want you to do stuff that was optional before. Like, doing 5 backflips and 5 frontflips. In later levels you're not going to win the race or even get a good time while fulfilling the contract. This doesn't feel good. At least in my opinion. I'm playing trials to finish challenging tracks. Not to jump through hoops. It would be nice to have a choice to do sponsor stuff or at least when. I quit the game a couple of times because everything left to do next was stuff like that. Catching up with someone is fun - but not while doing 15 flips.

It could be a progress window on the map, showing sponsor progress. But it would be nice to either: skip that part entirely and don't use sponsored goods or create missions that don't feel like I'm training for a circus.

To be honest: I've bought every trials game to date. First on my 360, then again on PC. I own every DLC, some twice (360 & pc) with the only exception being "Awesome Level Max". Everything day one. This and the lootboxes are a big turnoff. Not that sure anymore if I'll be there on day 1 :(

fleskeknoke
09-15-2018, 09:23 AM
Totaly agree on this...
Contracts should be a part of a story-mode which you could choose to go through, or not.
"Training for a circus" is a good analogy,
it takes away from the Trials experience just as the fmx did on fusion. Some may like this way of progress through the game but it certainly is not for everyone, so it should be an option.

And yes, a progress window that show where you are, what to do next, what tracks you haven't unlocked and how to get there is very much needed.

Max_Dmg
09-15-2018, 01:24 PM
I want to say thanks to lu3mm3l for perfectly expressing my feelings on contracts, I completely agree and I want to add my support to this suggestion. I'm also a long-time Trials player so perhaps that has something to do with it since we naturally have some preconceptions of what we expect from a Trials game. But for me, the primary goal of any track is to finish it and that's what I want to do before anything else. I don't think contracts are a bad idea since they can provide a wealth of replayability and that's always welcome. I love revisiting tracks especially if I have to play them in a "different" way (for example, instead of setting the best time I'm searching for a hidden area). Fusion did that very nicely with challenges that often had you exploring the map or even working out simple puzzles. But here's the thing, that stuff should all be secondary to the main objective of beating the level. I don't want my first playthrough of a track to mired by arbitrary objectives when I'm trying to race.

Here's a concrete example for you: Ever, Everer and Everest. Amazing track by the way, love it, but when you first play there's a contract to perform 4 backflips. This isn't too hard but it's a particularly vertical track so you won't naturally perform 4 backflips in the standard flow, you have to work out the best places and do it all very carefully (I actually stopped on a forgiving section and did them all in the same spot). So it's not really possible to complete the contract and set a good time, you have to do one or the other. Now, it's the very first time I've played the track so I just want to run it, learn it, set a good time and earn a medal. I naturally feel that's my primary objective as the player but it's not the primary objective the game is giving me. Instead, it's asking me to perform some specific actions that will actually slow me down. So either I fulfil my own goal and fail in the eyes of the game or I fulfil the game's goal and fail in the eyes of myself. As lu3mm3l said: this doesn't feel good.

Here's a slightly different example that stems from the same issue. When I unlocked Car Park the game popped up a message explaining that it was an Extreme track and encouraging me to complete it before the end of the closed beta. Ha ha, it's not like you need to ask, bring it on! So I went straight there and eventually limped over the finish line with a terrible time but very happy that I made it through on my first try without rage-quitting. I completed my personal goal of beating the track and I was happy, even though the game had given me no specific objectives to complete (it didn't have any contracts and didn't provide any progression, it was just there so I did it). After making some further progression elsewhere on the world map, KTM-girl pops up on Car Park with a new contract: finish Car Park. But KTM-girl, I just did that! So the game unlocked a track for me but didn't assume that I'd actually beat it until it presented me with an objective to do so. That's a bit silly because my personal objective is to beat every track so of course I'm going to do that when it unlocks.

I believe the issue here is that the game's objectives don't always align with the player's objectives. As I said before, perhaps this is due to preconceptions from being an old player but I always have a personal goal of beating the track and the game doesn't always seem to understand this.

Hope the feedback's useful.

Cheers, good gaming!

gvr1044
09-15-2018, 02:09 PM
I want to say thanks to lu3mm3l for perfectly expressing my feelings on contracts, I completely agree and I want to add my support to this suggestion. I'm also a long-time Trials player so perhaps that has something to do with it since we naturally have some preconceptions of what we expect from a Trials game. But for me, the primary goal of any track is to finish it and that's what I want to do before anything else. I don't think contracts are a bad idea since they can provide a wealth of replayability and that's always welcome. I love revisiting tracks especially if I have to play them in a "different" way (for example, instead of setting the best time I'm searching for a hidden area). Fusion did that very nicely with challenges that often had you exploring the map or even working out simple puzzles. But here's the thing, that stuff should all be secondary to the main objective of beating the level. I don't want my first playthrough of a track to mired by arbitrary objectives when I'm trying to race.

Here's a concrete example for you: Ever, Everer and Everest. Amazing track by the way, love it, but when you first play there's a contract to perform 4 backflips. This isn't too hard but it's a particularly vertical track so you won't naturally perform 4 backflips in the standard flow, you have to work out the best places and do it all very carefully (I actually stopped on a forgiving section and did them all in the same spot). So it's not really possible to complete the contract and set a good time, you have to do one or the other. Now, it's the very first time I've played the track so I just want to run it, learn it, set a good time and earn a medal. I naturally feel that's my primary objective as the player but it's not the primary objective the game is giving me. Instead, it's asking me to perform some specific actions that will actually slow me down. So either I fulfil my own goal and fail in the eyes of the game or I fulfil the game's goal and fail in the eyes of myself. As lu3mm3l said: this doesn't feel good.

Here's a slightly different example that stems from the same issue. When I unlocked Car Park the game popped up a message explaining that it was an Extreme track and encouraging me to complete it before the end of the closed beta. Ha ha, it's not like you need to ask, bring it on! So I went straight there and eventually limped over the finish line with a terrible time but very happy that I made it through on my first try without rage-quitting. I completed my personal goal of beating the track and I was happy, even though the game had given me no specific objectives to complete (it didn't have any contracts and didn't provide any progression, it was just there so I did it). After making some further progression elsewhere on the world map, KTM-girl pops up on Car Park with a new contract: finish Car Park. But KTM-girl, I just did that! So the game unlocked a track for me but didn't assume that I'd actually beat it until it presented me with an objective to do so. That's a bit silly because my personal objective is to beat every track so of course I'm going to do that when it unlocks.

I believe the issue here is that the game's objectives don't always align with the player's objectives. As I said before, perhaps this is due to preconceptions from being an old player but I always have a personal goal of beating the track and the game doesn't always seem to understand this.

Hope the feedback's useful.

Cheers, good gaming!
I fully agree.

TheeDesecrator
09-15-2018, 04:26 PM
I also believe it should be optional, or at least toned down in regards to progression, for those that just want to play tracks. But actually, on a personal level, I love them. I always felt that I played prior Trials games until I reached a plateau and couldn't improve much and just sort of quit for a while. This is something that'll help keep me going.

I do fear the issue I had with Frontier is that contracts will become incredibly hard to pass by taking a time ahead of yours. There were so many tracks I accidentally got a decent time I'd never be able to attain again so when I moved to Android and started a new game, I purposefully got bad time and tons of faults so I could beat ANBA.

Rus18
09-15-2018, 04:54 PM
I agree with all of this, I just prefer the older way of playing the track to get the best possible time and then going back to do the challenges. Having the ghosts on while doing the contracts is pretty pointless most of the time seeing as you will never set a good time while doing them. Tbh the ghosts annoy me in general.

CorruptedSan1ty
09-15-2018, 07:00 PM
Add another to the agree list. The everest one is pretty bad for having to find a spot to specifically complete the contract. Another one was the stoppie levels for me.

camand87
09-15-2018, 07:32 PM
I agree to all of the above.

Lukeyy19
09-15-2018, 10:25 PM
I agree with all this too, the contracts are cool and a nice way to add replay-ability to tracks, but that's exactly what it should be - replay-ability, not given as a primary objective the first time you are seeing the track.

SapienOwl
09-16-2018, 02:17 PM
I might be wrong but are you sure the contracts are needed to progress? I thought you could press y to skip and just get a medal on the track to progress. Aren't the contracts just for loot and coins?

Max_Dmg
09-16-2018, 05:17 PM
I might be wrong but are you sure the contracts are needed to progress? I thought you could press y to skip and just get a medal on the track to progress. Aren't the contracts just for loot and coins?
Actually I think you're right. Each continent constitutes a separate league that culminates in a stadium final. Beating the stadium final leads to the next continent and, as far as I can tell, it's your medal progress that unlocks the tracks in each league and ultimately the finals.

So this highlights a slightly different problem which may simply come down to presentation. The criteria for progression in the game isn't adequately conveyed to the player. Was it medals that unlocked those tracks? It probably was, but the game certainly didn't make it very clear (I don't recall any indication of "X number of medals until next track" or anything like that). So perhaps the game just needs to make it a bit more obvious what we're working towards. Provide a very clear tally of medals earned so far and medals required for the next unlock, or whatever the criteria may be, just make it obvious to the player.

I think it's worth adding that this issue does still relate to the contracts and what we were dicussing earlier in this thread. Because the objective of earning medals isn't clearly conveyed, the (presumably secondary) objective of completing the contract appears to be the main goal. And that leads to the frustrations we were talking about, since it feels like the contract is getting in the way of just beating the track and setting a good time. So perhaps I could suggest this change: don't start spawning contracts on a track until the player has earned a bronze medal or above. That will mean no contracts to worry about on your first playthrough of a track and the secondary objectives (contracts) won't get in your way until you've completed the primary obective (earning a medal).

I think that would help a lot.

Cheers, good gaming!

thekingheeb
09-17-2018, 03:58 AM
Iím going to have to agree about the contracts. The whole front flip/back flip thing seems like an afterthought idea to stretch out the gameplay unnecessarily. I mean, I still did it, but didnít feel any sense of accomplishment by doing it.