PDA

View Full Version : I need to host a game on my PC (only 3 players), but had probs. in past,so a question

Mysticpuma2003
04-09-2010, 08:43 AM
Hi, I need to film a sequence with two other players on my home PC (they will be joining online not on a LAN).

I'm guessing it's a case of opening the "Run" command, typing IPConfig (so I can tell them the server address to join), but then what?

In the past (3-years-ago!), I am sure I had problems with Port forwarding through the Router as they couldn't get in, but all I want to do is set up a game, give them the Server IP of my PC and then wait for them to join the game.

Will there be issues that I need to be aware of as I have a short deadline to get the 'team' together for the mission.

Thanks, MP

Mysticpuma2003
04-09-2010, 08:43 AM
Hi, I need to film a sequence with two other players on my home PC (they will be joining online not on a LAN).

I'm guessing it's a case of opening the "Run" command, typing IPConfig (so I can tell them the server address to join), but then what?

In the past (3-years-ago!), I am sure I had problems with Port forwarding through the Router as they couldn't get in, but all I want to do is set up a game, give them the Server IP of my PC and then wait for them to join the game.

Will there be issues that I need to be aware of as I have a short deadline to get the 'team' together for the mission.

Thanks, MP

FoolTrottel
04-09-2010, 09:05 AM
Your server IP will only be retrievable the 'ipconfig' way if you are not using a router.

As it looks like you are behind a router, you need to retrieve the External IP address of your router. IpConfig will only show you your computer's internal address.
Use a site like http://www.whatsmyip.org/ to retrieve the external address.

You will need port forwarding to tell your router to send incoming trafic (UDP port 21000) to your computer's internal IP address.

Your best bet would be to set it up and then test it first. You don't have to test this with those two clients, you can do this with any volounteer...

(Unfortunately, right now my time is limited, otherwise I'd be happy to talk (Teamspeak?) and test you through it...)

sakai2005
04-09-2010, 10:35 AM
you could buy a hub and hook the router to that.then you can just swap the cable over to the hub from the router when you want to host a game.you will still need to check the ip tho as stated in prev post but no port hassels and only takes a sec to get the ip.
I know your time constricted but for ease this is how i do it.got tired of fighting with a cranky router.

Mysticpuma2003
04-09-2010, 10:39 AM
"You will need port forwarding to tell your router to send incoming traffic (UDP port 21000) to your computer's internal IP address."

Getting the external address is pretty easy then, but setting up UDP Port 21000, that's going to be tough (for an un-knowledgeable person).

Still, it has to be done. One more question. Once this is set up, will it run all versions of IL2 through the router as-long-as they go through 21000?

Like HSFX 4.1 or UP 2.0n

Cheers, MP

blairgowrie
04-09-2010, 11:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mysticpuma2003:
"You will need port forwarding to tell your router to send incoming traffic (UDP port 21000) to your computer's internal IP address."

Getting the external address is pretty easy then, but setting up UDP Port 21000, that's going to be tough (for an un-knowledgeable person).

Still, it has to be done. One more question. Once this is set up, will it run all versions of IL2 through the router as-long-as they go through 21000?

Like HSFX 4.1 or UP 2.0n

Cheers, MP </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, they will run all versions but you may have to unblock your firewall if you switch between versions.

TheGrunch
04-09-2010, 11:21 AM
This website (http://www.portforward.com) is pretty helpful for doing the port-forwarding part. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Mysticpuma2003
04-10-2010, 04:33 AM
Thanks Grunch, looking at the list it was just as I expected...my Router isn't there http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Man it's a good job I have Bad Luck or I wouldn't have any luck at all!

I'll have a try in the morning to get the game through the ports.....cross-fingers!

Cheers, MP

Mysticpuma2003
04-11-2010, 05:01 AM
Okay, think I may have cracked this.

The Router allows me to add a game or application and list the port I want to let it through.

I have set this up as UDP 21000

My last question then:

When I pass on the IP address that I want someone to join, do I give them the Router IP address, or my PC IP address?

Secondly, do they enter the Server address as:

124.345.1.189:21000

or do they leave the :21000 off the end?

BTW, the above is an example IP not the one I would be using?

Cheers, MP

blairgowrie
04-11-2010, 06:09 AM
Just type "What is my IP?" into your web browser and that is the one you will give to your friends.

Although not absolutely necessary, it is always a good idea to add :21000 to your IP address.