PDA

View Full Version : Loot Boxes are terrible

silencedmessage
09-14-2018, 05:04 AM
Other people have said it, and I'm really just echoing their concerns in another thread with the appropriate tag: Loot Boxes make for a terrible gaming experience, and are a real turn off.

Pre-order is $40, and you want people to pay even more for the game?

Death to loot boxes

m3mbran
09-14-2018, 08:03 AM
Also: death to loot box progression. I don't care if you never can buy them for real money. I don't want to get my unlockable stuff at random out of a bunch of boxes. Keep that skinner box **** away from me and out of my paid games and confined to that mobile game trash, thank you very much.

eflixxx
09-14-2018, 08:13 AM
i thought lootboxes was considerd gambling, by european courts of law, thus being outlawed in games tailored to kids. i guess they dont care.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/04/video-game-loot-boxes-are-now-considered-criminal-gambling-in-belgium/

m3mbran
09-14-2018, 08:31 AM
It's only like that in Belgium and The Netherlands, not the whole of Europe, and only if they are sold for money, I think. And it seems they have to call out games for using same on an individual basis, they started to go after some of the big ones (games by Valve, Blizzard, EA) and let the rest keep on lootboxing for the time being.

But it doesn't matter. The loot box cosmetic stuff progression in Trials Rising is just in poor taste and really tarnishes the game's polish. Reminds me of Rocket League's fall from grace.

Thanatan777
09-14-2018, 01:59 PM
Totally agree.
If the finished game contains lootboxes, I will definitively not buy it. End of conversation.

UbiKeeba
09-14-2018, 03:27 PM
You can read all about customization in game in our dedicated Q&A article here: https://news.ubisoft.com/article/Trials-Rising-Customization-and-Progression-Q-and-A

I have let the team know there are concerns regarding Lootboxes, though. Hopefully, the article clears a few things up, though.

silencedmessage
09-14-2018, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate that the product team is being proactive about this topic... however, it also tells me that the product team knew that its core users were not going to like this feature, at all. If they thought users were going to embrace it with open arms, why even have a FAQ on it?

It leaves a bad taste, to be honest.

Thanks for being engaged and taking feedback. :)

Zzzlol94
09-14-2018, 06:19 PM
You can read all about customization in game in our dedicated Q&A article here: https://news.ubisoft.com/article/Trials-Rising-Customization-and-Progression-Q-and-A

I have let the team know there are concerns regarding Lootboxes, though. Hopefully, the article clears a few things up, though.
It does clear things up, that you've become a part of the greedy corporate gaming industry. It makes it clear that you have one choice, and that is to remove paid lootboxes. Increase the price of the game by 10€ instead if you seriously need money. I'm fine with that, but I'm NOT fine with spending even 1 cent for a game with predatory microtransactions.

I was also planning to buy the game and the season pass for PC, PS4 and Switch until now.

I_GETHSEMANE_I
09-14-2018, 06:48 PM

Can you make it abundantly clear to the team that we don't need this, especially if the Premium Crates contain gear that is exclusive to them, nothing in Trials should be paywalled.

If we can earn Acorns in game, it had better not be a crock of excrement where you are awarded 2-3 acorns a time when stuff takes hundreds, even thousands of acorns to unlock.

This is no way a comment on the team, I'm not daft, shareholders want profits and lots of them and probably have had a huge influence on this decision, but, c'mon. The average Joe player hate the damned things, governments (albeit smaller ones with less power) are trying to outlaw them or at least curb their applications.

I highly doubt we won't see them at release, but I can hope. This may be the Ubi way now, but is it really the RedLynx way? They only started this after Ubi had an overall hand in production from Frontier onwards. Seems like corporate are squeezing the soul out of RL and it's really saddening.

UbiKeeba
09-14-2018, 06:56 PM
I am definitely also letting the team know the concerns regarding this subject.

I_GETHSEMANE_I
09-14-2018, 07:07 PM
I am definitely also letting the team know the concerns regarding this subject.
Good to hear, sorry for getting as descriptive and passionate. I didn't want it to seem like I was shooting the messenger, so I tried to keep my usual flamboyant use of swearwords as non-Scottish as possible, while still conveying my displeasure 😂

UbiKeeba
09-14-2018, 07:17 PM
It's ok. :)

https://media.giphy.com/media/OjH5bngvobEeQ/giphy.gif

man_kinda
09-15-2018, 11:56 AM
Not only are loot boxes anti-gamer and very predatory when offered up for real money, they're also a very lazy form of development. Throw every cosmetic in a box and have players roll the dice... Wheres the passion developers use to have? Games made by gamers for gamers with gamers enjoyment as top priority must be a thing of the past.

I really hope ubisoft doesn't wait till they are forced to remove crates from their games. Be pro active just get rid of them. Unlocking items as we progress with in game currency is much more gamer friendly.

Also It's pretty obvious there is a lot more money to be made by offering choice to players. Fortnite BR is a testament to this. A store that offers new cosmetics daily for individual sales is way better for both dev's and gamers.

Core2TOM
09-16-2018, 01:49 PM
In addition to earning Gear Crates for hitting Fame milestones, you can also purchase them using Trials Coins or Acorns. [...] Acorns are another currency that players can earn by playing Trials Rising and completing special contracts or competing in online multiplayer seasons. Players can also purchase Acorns using real money. As with Trials Coins, Acorns can be used to purchase customization items and some post-launch content. There will also be some premium items that are available to buy with Acorns, like Legendary gear and premium gear crates.

i do understand you guys need to do something to get extra money, but lootboxes are NOT the way you should go and i think you should decide for one system. according to the quoted article you can buy premium items and premium lootboxes (that will contain premium items?) :confused:
lootboxes in general are known for beeing a anti-consumer system and even if you´re trying to make it as fair as possible still people won´t be happy about it.

furthermore i miss some sort of creativity the way this system is made. just some boxes that drop out of nowhere and opening with a pointless lightning doesn´t feel creative or rewarding to me and doesn´t motivate me to spend my real money on. instead of using different types of boxes how about something that fits more to trials? a garage sale or a squirrel in a treehouse that offer you the items?

if you want (or need) to stick to a system that rewards the player with random items, there needs to be an ingame marketplace to trade unwanted items with other players.
by doing contracts or finals the shopkeeper could give the player a discount for a few hours or something like that.

trials is worth 150€ to me and if you do a fair, rewarding and creative system i´m willing to pay that. thanks for reading

IImayneII
09-16-2018, 02:16 PM
Added this in another thread, but I'll do it here aswell

Lootboxes are considered gambling and therefore illegal in Belgium recently https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-43906306

So this needs to be disable for Belgium. If this gets traction troughout the whole EU at some point in the future, be aware this might have to be disabled in the future. Just let rng drops be free and let people buy specific items seperatly.

Elipsys
09-16-2018, 10:56 PM
Not to dogpile, but ignoring the principal of lootboxes and nasty trend they have to make games insufferable... do I really need to go to a separate screen to open up every single one? Can't I just get a screen that says "these are the items you unlocked" and move on? Going in and out of the lootbox screen every time I level, or complete a contract, or do anything really... is disruptive and unfun.

CannedSquidd
09-17-2018, 12:11 AM
I don't think it's that bad, honestly. It could be worse. They don't speed up progression, don't give advantages, are purely cosmetic, and are easy to earn. If you really care that much about cosmetics then yeah, go ahead and buy them.

SuburbanJohnny
09-17-2018, 03:30 AM
I don't think it's that bad, honestly. It could be worse. They don't speed up progression, don't give advantages, are purely cosmetic, and are easy to earn. If you really care that much about cosmetics then yeah, go ahead and buy them.

You're defending a game mechanic as "it could be worse". What does that say about that game mechanic?

JolanXBL
09-17-2018, 07:52 AM
You can buy everything from the crates separately, it says so in the article. And you can buy crates using credits from the game.
And if they work like in the Beta, you can sell the parts you do not need back to the game for credits.

If you are worried that you are going to get a gambling addiction from a Loot Crate in a video game, that's a problem with you and your brain. Stop finding other people to look after you, do it yourself.

Discussing Loot Crates is like the paid-mods argument. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BUY AN ITEM, THEN DON'T BUY IT. Show restraint or seek help, stop trying to dumb-down the rest of the world. And for the parents, stop trading family time for electronic entertainment. Your child does not need an iPad.

silencedmessage
09-19-2018, 10:03 PM
Discussing Loot Crates is like the paid-mods argument. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BUY AN ITEM, THEN DON'T BUY IT

Don't participate in the forums of an open beta if you don't want to see other players feedback.

If you like loot crates, that's totally fine. There's also nothing wrong with people who don't like loot crates. It's a money grab, and lots of people are getting sick of it. Nobody is asking anyone to "look after them", they're providing feedback, which is exactly what this forum is designed for.

Next time someone craps in your cheerios, stay offline, there's no need to lash out at people because you like something they don't.