PDA

View Full Version : Tips for HL vs. Turtles?

mrmistark
09-13-2018, 11:28 PM
At first glance this post probably looks absurd because HL has an amazing OS stance.

First off, I am (not to toot my own horn) a pretty decent HL. The only thing separating me from the players you see on YouTube with him is my dodge timing when in OS (need to get it overall down better especially against quick characters attacking), parrying lights (kind of hard sometimes on console), and canceling from OS into CC instead of a simple parry. I give this background so you can see a basis of weíre Iím at with HL and that I do understand that he has very good tools for a lot of situations.

Anyways though, lately Iíve been running into a lot of people who simply just wait for me to do something. Turtling has always been tough to deal with but I havenít felt with it this bad in a while. They will sit and wait just far enough away that I canít reach with anything but heavies. If I go in with any sort of attacks, they parry. If I am in OS the stay far away so I canít light and parry and just dodge my kicks and grabs.

This leaves me with trying to bait as the only real tactic with them, but they expect it most times after Round 1-2 and stay ready to cancel/ cancel into CGB if they need to.

My question is for other HL players: what is your tactic in this situation? How do you deal with these types of opponents?

Chobbsy99
09-14-2018, 12:58 AM
See if you can back them into a corner? It's difficult tbh. A good turtle is a nightmare. It doesn't seem like you're doing anything particularly wrong. It's just one of those things.

The_B0G_
09-14-2018, 12:28 PM
Try going into the celtic curse startup to close distance, but fast flow into OS and hit him with a light if you are close enough to start off, then go into you OS combos which I'm sure you know what to do there.

Use that a couple times then start using his OS emote instead of the OS light, and he'll probably react, one way or another. I usually would go through with a celtic curse here and there to keep him on his toes but it's risky, never take both swings of the celtic curse though, always fast flow into OS.

Kenzu8
09-14-2018, 12:42 PM
I think HL is one of the best characters to deal with turtles. The basics is to always go OS and get close to your enemy for mixups, preferably towards a wall. There's no point for a kick into grab mixup if they're not close enough for the kick to reach. However, you can gauge your distance and try a heavy-kick-grab mixup which has quite a bit of range. If that's not working, from neutral try forward dash heavy hold into offensive stance, then do a single light attack to throw them off, or go immediately into a mixup. On normal characters it's usually kick into grab, but on characters with side dodge attacks NEVER DO A KICK. Do unblockable heavy feint and see if they're doing a side dodge attack, or just a side dodge. In case they're attacking, parry and counter. If they're not attacking, then do a heavy into grab. This strategy is farily easy and cheap with the amount of 50/50 you give your opponent.

And if they get close to you before you get into OS and just wait to parry your lights, then guardbreak them. When they counter-guarbreak, your should be at a good enough distance to enter OS with just holding heavy attack and you will also be at a good distance for your OS mixups.

I hope this helps.

Klingentaenz3r
09-14-2018, 02:26 PM
there is so much stuff you can do as a highlander.

In your keeping distance scenario I would just chase them down with my quick dodge to get into reach or just as suggested above with celtic curse. You do know you can cancel your OS heavies into kicks as well right? And that again (if needed) into caber toss (or just use that instead of the kick cancel right away). And of course there are also those underused softfeints into OS lights from heavies but those would only work if you would get close enough of course. Usually I get my opponents going for a dodge one way or the other. Often a simple emote does the job. And then of course grabbing them is easy. You might as well try whiffing balors might into emote into fast guard swap to another side. Haven't used this in a while but before his update highlander's guard swap got hidden with that. So the next attack is often extra nifty.

NHLGoldenKnight
09-14-2018, 06:06 PM
As a HL, you really shouldn't have issue with turtles unless it is a one of the best turtles in the world.