PDA

View Full Version : RAF or Luftwaffe

jeffmorgan_947
02-22-2011, 10:36 PM
Hi All. I suppose we can now take it for granted that COD will give us the option of either flying for the RAF or the Luftwaffe. RAF will mean flying Hurrican or Spitfire or perhaps a short stint in the Defient?. Luftwaffe will be the 109, 110 and Stuka. But what of Squadron choice,can the Canadians fly with Bader out of Coltishall with 242 squadron, or Americans with the Eagle squadrons [71,121 133] or those cavalier Poles with 303 squadron,or Germans with Galland flying "Emils" of JG26.There may be some of us who have the distinction of having a father,grandfather, or even a great grandfather who either flew for RAF or Luftwaffe, and to fly for the same squadron as they ? If you want to emerse yourself in the coming battle,there are so many fine books on the subject which see the conflict from both sides. Cheers. JM.

jeffmorgan_947
02-22-2011, 10:36 PM
Hi All. I suppose we can now take it for granted that COD will give us the option of either flying for the RAF or the Luftwaffe. RAF will mean flying Hurrican or Spitfire or perhaps a short stint in the Defient?. Luftwaffe will be the 109, 110 and Stuka. But what of Squadron choice,can the Canadians fly with Bader out of Coltishall with 242 squadron, or Americans with the Eagle squadrons [71,121 133] or those cavalier Poles with 303 squadron,or Germans with Galland flying "Emils" of JG26.There may be some of us who have the distinction of having a father,grandfather, or even a great grandfather who either flew for RAF or Luftwaffe, and to fly for the same squadron as they ? If you want to emerse yourself in the coming battle,there are so many fine books on the subject which see the conflict from both sides. Cheers. JM.

Ba5tard5word
02-23-2011, 12:01 AM
I'm pretty sure the Defiant won't be flyable. It could be kind of fun to pilot but you'd need someone in the back, and aiming with a mouse just isn't the same as flying with a stick. I'd prefer a flyable Fulmar I think.

RSS-Martin
02-23-2011, 01:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jeffmorgan_947:
Hi All. I suppose we can now take it for granted that COD will give us the option of either flying for the RAF or the Luftwaffe. RAF will mean flying Hurrican or Spitfire or perhaps a short stint in the Defient?. Luftwaffe will be the 109, 110 and Stuka. But what of Squadron choice,can the Canadians fly with Bader out of Coltishall with 242 squadron, or Americans with the Eagle squadrons [71,121 133] or those cavalier Poles with 303 squadron,or Germans with Galland flying "Emils" of JG26.There may be some of us who have the distinction of having a father,grandfather, or even a great grandfather who either flew for RAF or Luftwaffe, and to fly for the same squadron as they ? If you want to emerse yourself in the coming battle,there are so many fine books on the subject which see the conflict from both sides. Cheers. JM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You are forgetting the many bomber squadrons, and that many also enjoy flying the heavies.
Also most of the older members here usually have a fair collection of books on the topic.
I only have to smirk that with many the main focus is on the fighter jocks... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

JG53Frankyboy
02-23-2011, 03:05 AM
CoD will mean flying for the Luftwaffe, Regia Aeronautica AND Royal Airforce (alphabetical order http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

DeerHunterUK
02-23-2011, 04:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ba5tard5word:
I'm pretty sure the Defiant won't be flyable. It could be kind of fun to pilot but you'd need someone in the back, and aiming with a mouse just isn't the same as flying with a stick. I'd prefer a flyable Fulmar I think. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For the most part this is true and a fair point. However, there was a switch in the gun turret which turned control of the guns over to the pilot in case the gunner was no longer able to operate the turret. The guns had to be placed at the fully forward position and elevated to 19 or above to clear the prop. Unfortunately, the pilot had no gunsight and it would of been similar to the BF-110 and it's schrage musik gun system.
I haven't read anywhere that this system was ever used in combat but it was there if needed.

thefruitbat
02-23-2011, 06:12 AM
Both.

I don't see the point in denying myself half the game.

shop21BB13F44
02-23-2011, 03:39 PM
I am looking forward to flying for both sides. I remember posting on here about a year or more ago describing not feeling quite right flying axis planes even though I knew it was daft really. well I am well past that and have thoroughly enjoyed the 109 campaign by flatspin man. so bring it all on! Heck, I can't wait to try the tiger moth in the training missions!

Erkki_M
02-24-2011, 09:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qtiqu7Y7G0

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

VW-IceFire
02-24-2011, 04:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jeffmorgan_947:
Hi All. I suppose we can now take it for granted that COD will give us the option of either flying for the RAF or the Luftwaffe. RAF will mean flying Hurrican or Spitfire or perhaps a short stint in the Defient?. Luftwaffe will be the 109, 110 and Stuka. But what of Squadron choice,can the Canadians fly with Bader out of Coltishall with 242 squadron, or Americans with the Eagle squadrons [71,121 133] or those cavalier Poles with 303 squadron,or Germans with Galland flying "Emils" of JG26.There may be some of us who have the distinction of having a father,grandfather, or even a great grandfather who either flew for RAF or Luftwaffe, and to fly for the same squadron as they ? If you want to emerse yourself in the coming battle,there are so many fine books on the subject which see the conflict from both sides. Cheers. JM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well 303 squadron was featured in one of the latest screen shots we saw so my assumption is that yes... we will see all of these historical squadrons. I'm sure a 242 squadron campaign is in my campaign making future http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

redmanekadrin
02-25-2011, 05:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ba5tard5word:
I'm pretty sure the Defiant won't be flyable. It could be kind of fun to pilot but you'd need someone in the back, and aiming with a mouse just isn't the same as flying with a stick. I'd prefer a flyable Fulmar I think. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahh! Don't say that! The Defiant is the plane I'm looking forward to the most (2nd being the Fulmar, but I don't think that served in the BoB).

RSS-Martin
02-25-2011, 08:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by redmanekadrin:

Ahh! Don't say that! The Defiant is the plane I'm looking forward to the most (2nd being the Fulmar, but I don't think that served in the BoB). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well one can hope with the next patch or patches, that a few aircraft that are in the original release as AI will become flyable. I too have hopes for flying the Sunderland or the Fw 200.

VW-IceFire
02-25-2011, 04:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by redmanekadrin:

Ahh! Don't say that! The Defiant is the plane I'm looking forward to the most (2nd being the Fulmar, but I don't think that served in the BoB). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's never ever been shown to be on the flyable list. I'm not even sure if references are available for the Defiant. Do any exist in fully restored condition? It's a small miracle that it's appearing in a simulator in the first place - most gloss over it. Fortunately not Oleg.

redmanekadrin
02-25-2011, 06:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
It's never ever been shown to be on the flyable list. I'm not even sure if references are available for the Defiant. Do any exist in fully restored condition? It's a small miracle that it's appearing in a simulator in the first place - most gloss over it. Fortunately not Oleg. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure if it's in flying condition but there is one in London at a museum. There's also one Fulmar left in an FAA museum, again not sure if it's in flyable condition.

DeerHunterUK
02-26-2011, 03:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
It's never ever been shown to be on the flyable list. I'm not even sure if references are available for the Defiant. Do any exist in fully restored condition? It's a small miracle that it's appearing in a simulator in the first place - most gloss over it. Fortunately not Oleg. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well if Oleg and co ever decided to try to make the Defiant flyable, I've got a wealth of information on the Defiant just waiting.

jeffmorgan_947
02-27-2011, 01:22 AM
Some who have read the post get the point, the rest just seem more concerned about whether they can fly the Boulten Paul Defiant or not. JM.

DeerHunterUK
02-27-2011, 04:40 AM
Some who have read the post get the point, the rest just seem more concerned about whether they can fly the Boulten Paul Defiant or not. JM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh absolutely but then again there's not going to be an option in CoD to follow in my Grandfather's footsteps and be an anti aircraft gunner.
In case you were wondering he served in the Royal Artillery using the 3.7" and 40mm Bofors gun.

robtek1957
02-27-2011, 04:51 AM
For those which avoid arcade settings, switching planes easily should be history.
Without help enabled in the sim one has his hands full to master one or maybe two planes, i assume.
Of course one can decide to be a mediocre to bad pilot in all planes, more fun for the rest of the online crowd :-D