PDA

View Full Version : Question about the resolution of Myst

Lord-Creeper
01-04-2005, 01:08 AM
I've of course read through the other threads regarding the restrictions of running Myst at higher resolutions. I did try windowed mode which is OK but my question is if there are any plans for putting support for higher resolutions in any upcoming patchs? 1024x768 is pretty low and although many average users are on that resolution a great number of people playing games are running much higher resolutions. I'd say at-least 1280x1024 as thats a pretty standard res for most LCD monitors would be fair. It would defiantly be nice to play it at the monitors native resolution with the crispest image without the need for windowed mode. Thanks!

Lord-Creeper
01-04-2005, 01:08 AM
I've of course read through the other threads regarding the restrictions of running Myst at higher resolutions. I did try windowed mode which is OK but my question is if there are any plans for putting support for higher resolutions in any upcoming patchs? 1024x768 is pretty low and although many average users are on that resolution a great number of people playing games are running much higher resolutions. I'd say at-least 1280x1024 as thats a pretty standard res for most LCD monitors would be fair. It would defiantly be nice to play it at the monitors native resolution with the crispest image without the need for windowed mode. Thanks!

realXCV
01-04-2005, 08:07 AM
Maybe if you wait until they re-render all in an higher resolution... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Or if you like blurred or aliased pictures... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

Lord-Creeper
01-04-2005, 01:43 PM
Well that didn't exactly answer my question http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif . Personally I highly doubt there actual original material was just 1024x768 as thats not exactly the ideal size for compositing with. Anyways with that aside we know obviously they aren't going to update all the content heh. That doesn't mean they cant allow for people to at-least just set it to higher resolution. For me the image is much nicer in 1280x1024 maximized in windowed mode then it is in 1024x768. I've noticed little difference in image quality displaying it in centered output vs maximized in 1280x1024.

thony216
01-04-2005, 04:28 PM
I have read that the "recommended" screen resolution is 800x600......so I surmise that 800x600 is most detail that is possible.
Personally, I didn't see any difference in detail between 800x600 and 1024x768, so I use the former resolution because it should load faster.

Anthony

realXCV
01-04-2005, 07:02 PM
In prerendered games, original resolution is usually used as final resolution

MYST IV: 768x768 for pictures (nodes), 800x450 for videos (FMV)

Have you ever streched a picture ? Then you probably should know that it becomes blocky or blurred. Not the best thing to put in a game.

Alahmnat
01-05-2005, 12:26 AM
Please understand that this game is not a realtime game (though it has some realtime elemnts in it), and as such the graphics will not scale infinitely as they do in a realtime game such as Half-life 2. You are correct, the source files for the images have no native resolution, because the source files are 3D Studio MAX files consisting of a few million polygons and a few thousand different textures. These source files were rendered out as fixed-size JPG images which are projected onto a cube in realtime, creating the 360-degree view.

The reaason the game maxes out at 1024x768 is because this is all the higher the images were rendered at, and to allow you to increase the resolution beyond that point would negatively impact the game's visual quality because the source images would become stretched and blurry. If you've ever taken an image and increased its size by 150% or more, you know that this is a pretty ugly thing to have to look at while playing a game. Unfortunately, pre-rendered graphics take a very long time to create, especially for a game with environments as complex as the ones in Revelation (Haven's jungle makes me cringe when I think about the render times), and there comes a point at which there is a huge bottleneck at the end of the production line because everyone is sitting on their thumbs waiting for the final renders to be completed. In the previous three games, this trade-off resolution was at 640x480. However, likely heeding the the complaints lodged against Exile for using such a diminutive resolution, the Revelation team upped the output resolution for the game to 1024x768, but even with a 200-processor render farm at their disposal, the images still took months to render. Companies just don't have the resources, budget, or production time to create a pre-rendered game at an immense resolution like 1280x1024 (and yes, in CGI terms, that is a monster resolution at which to have to render your images).