PDA

View Full Version : Saitek X52 Pro Friction Issues

Cyanidix
09-01-2008, 11:51 AM
Hello everyone,

I hope this thread isn't too out of place, but judging by the large number of you using the X52 Pro, I thought it might be a good place to ask.

I've been a lurker for several months now, and although I'm no hardcore history/flight buff, I really do enjoy the sensation of flying, and in that vein also enjoy combat flight sims very much. IL-2 is chief amongst those!

Now to my question...

Ever since I had my X52 Pro I've noticed that the stick has had a great deal of friction, which makes minute/precise movements quite difficult. A friend of mine also bought the same model, but his is much smoother. I contacted Saitek about this and their tech suggested rubbing candle wax along the shaft to smooth things. Well, doing this didn't really help and just seemed to clog up the stick somewhat.

My question is whether any of you have had similar problems, and if so, how did you resolve them?

The last suggestion for me was silicon grease on the metal shaft (it seems the friction is stemming from there). Before I do this I just wanted to collect some experiences.

Thank you! And once again I hope this thread isn't too out of place.

Cyanidix
09-01-2008, 11:51 AM
Hello everyone,

I hope this thread isn't too out of place, but judging by the large number of you using the X52 Pro, I thought it might be a good place to ask.

I've been a lurker for several months now, and although I'm no hardcore history/flight buff, I really do enjoy the sensation of flying, and in that vein also enjoy combat flight sims very much. IL-2 is chief amongst those!

Now to my question...

Ever since I had my X52 Pro I've noticed that the stick has had a great deal of friction, which makes minute/precise movements quite difficult. A friend of mine also bought the same model, but his is much smoother. I contacted Saitek about this and their tech suggested rubbing candle wax along the shaft to smooth things. Well, doing this didn't really help and just seemed to clog up the stick somewhat.

My question is whether any of you have had similar problems, and if so, how did you resolve them?

The last suggestion for me was silicon grease on the metal shaft (it seems the friction is stemming from there). Before I do this I just wanted to collect some experiences.

Thank you! And once again I hope this thread isn't too out of place.

jayhall0315
09-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Candle wax ? Seriously ?!

I used a X-52 regular version about 2 months back to write up a Newbie's Guide to IL2 Joystick Setup but did not run into friction issues. I did run into dead zone issues though. I might go for a return (RMA) in your case since the Pro setup is about $135 on Amazon.

Jay

Also, having used both Saitek and CH Products for testing, you really might want to consider a CH Fighterstick - very tough, very precise and no stiction.

foxyboy1964
09-01-2008, 12:18 PM
I thought the candle wax was a strange suggestion too. There is a recommended type of grease to use but I can't remember what it is, sorry. You've got to be careful which type you use because the wrong type can attack the plastic on the stick. Silicon may well be the right type, but I would wait till someone can confirm this. Just check this thread later and I'm sure someone will let you know.

It is strange that you find the X52 so stiff. Most people say they find it too slack.

TheFamilyMan
09-01-2008, 02:19 PM
After a couple of weeks of use, my brand new X52 Pro developed stiction which made it impossible to do any slight, precise movements. Lots of threads exist on this problem (check the saitek forum). Silicone grease is recommended; whatever you do, do NOT use a petroleum based product for it will attack the plastic parts. I'm also into mountain biking and had this grease (http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/TL307M00-Buzzys+Slick+Honey+All+Purpose+Grease.aspx) sitting around; I've been using this on my X52 Pro for months now with no problems (but I really don't recommend it unless you also need to rebuild bicycle shocks). I lube the shaft and under the slip ring about every 6 to 8 weeks (basically as needed). Makes it as smooth as silk.

Urufu_Shinjiro
09-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Another option is silicone based lube, and I mean the sex kind. I recommend Eros, for X52 and other uses, lol, can fit an elephant through a keyhole with that stuff, lol.

foxyboy1964
09-01-2008, 02:41 PM
Urufu Shinjiro, The Guru Of Secksy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Cyanidix
09-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Thank you very much for the helpful responses!

Yes, the candle-wax really threw me. It sort of made the movement of the stick more rigid and smooth for a day or so, but really in the end just made a mess.

I'll definitely try out some silicon grease, although it would help if any hardware stores down here actually stocked any.

P.FunkAdelic
09-01-2008, 08:48 PM
I understand what you're saying but I got the feeling that it stems from that plastic circle that sits on top of the opening and is part of what centres the stick. I feel like when I move it the plastic bit gets a bit stuck at times. Like it just is a bit friction friendly and gets a bit caught. Makes perfect precision a bit challenging. I think that maybe thats one of the things the Pro version does better.

I was myself considering putting some vaseline on the rim of where that centring disc rolls.

Urufu_Shinjiro
09-01-2008, 09:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by P.FunkAdelic:
I understand what you're saying but I got the feeling that it stems from that plastic circle that sits on top of the opening and is part of what centres the stick. I feel like when I move it the plastic bit gets a bit stuck at times. Like it just is a bit friction friendly and gets a bit caught. Makes perfect precision a bit challenging. I think that maybe thats one of the things the Pro version does better.

I was myself considering putting some vaseline on the rim of where that centring disc rolls. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

DO NOT use vaseline, it will eat the plastic over time. Use silicone based lube of some sort (recommend a quick trip to your local "novelty" shop).

TheFamilyMan
09-01-2008, 09:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cyanidix:
Thank you very much for the helpful responses!

Yes, the candle-wax really threw me. It sort of made the movement of the stick more rigid and smooth for a day or so, but really in the end just made a mess.

I'll definitely try out some silicon grease, although it would help if any hardware stores down here actually stocked any. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Try an autoparts store. It's used to seal CV boots. BTW, don't use a light, runny lube, it should be nice 'n' gooey. As for the 'joy jelly' variety, do people really use that stuff on saitek sticks? (That'll put some joy into your stick; you should of heard my flying m8's snickers when I asked them about lubing my 'stick).

One nice thing about that bicycle shock lube is that it's formulated specifically not to attack plastics, nylon, etc., and it's made to stay on sliding surfaces under intense duress, which makes it a perfect match for the X52. If only it wasn't so dang expensive.

Cyanidix
09-01-2008, 10:30 PM
Yes I initially had the idea that it was the plastic touching the metal plate which caused the friction, but since then it seems that the more obvious cause is the actual shaft itself.

My local hardware stores only have silicon spray... would that be a good substitute or am I solely after the gooey grease?

TheFamilyMan
09-01-2008, 10:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cyanidix:
Yes I initially had the idea that it was the plastic touching the metal plate which caused the friction, but since then it seems that the more obvious cause is the actual shaft itself.

My local hardware stores only have silicon spray... would that be a good substitute or am I solely after the gooey grease? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The spray is too light and its difficult to control its application. Try an autoparts store for that silicone grease, I hope there is one around where you live.

riggs_SC
09-02-2008, 06:49 AM
Try chapstick. I have a regular X52 and was having similar friction issues. Silicone spray didn't work for me at all...it actually made it worse. Chapstick did the trick...worked perfectly and haven't had a friction problem for a couple of months now. You can check out the thread below to see where I posted about it.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/950...501082556#9501082556 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/9501082556?r=9501082556#9501082556)

Hope this helps!

Riggs

OMK_Hand
09-02-2008, 12:06 PM
If the x52 pro is the same basic design as the x52, then I cured my similar problem by increasing the pressure that the spring exerts on that plastic disk at the foot of the stem. This was done by inserting my own plastic disk - any flat bit of an old plastic bottle should do. I think I used a shampoo bottle - with a slot cut halfway across, pushed horizontally between the top of the spring and the base of the plastic handle, like a washer. This compressed the spring a little, which then pushes against the base a little more, which smoothes everything out. Well, it does for me anyhow.

Hope this makes sense. I'll get my coat...

AuPilot
02-27-2016, 11:13 AM
My saitek x52 pro flight controls were not smooth moving. Made precise flying very difficult.

I Just found this thread and the idea of adding lubricant worked!

I used PBR rubber grease from supercheap auto (Australia). Its designed for sliders in break calipers, and is also safe for plastics and rubbers. I applied top and bottom with a cotton bud/swab. then moved the controller around to work it in.

Just thought i would add for anyone else that finds this thread :cool: