PDA

View Full Version : No campaign support?

kiddknapp59
01-24-2005, 08:34 PM
Are they ever going to fix the campaigns? They are broken and have been for a long time. IL2 FB is an old game, and I can€t for the life of me get through a Leningrad campaign no matter how hard I try. Crashes, corruption, lock-ups. Forget about adding more planes; fix what we have now. I am flying a P51 campaign and I get graphic corruption and lock-ups all the time. I have finished three campaigns out of dozens I have attempted. I don€t care about online; I want to play the game I bought. If this is how BoB is going to play out I am not interested.

I have gotten my monies worth out of this game, not including PF, so I can€t complain too much. I think doing a merge install was actually a bad idea because all the nasty habits FB has had for years have now been transferred over to PF.

kiddknapp59
01-24-2005, 08:34 PM
Are they ever going to fix the campaigns? They are broken and have been for a long time. IL2 FB is an old game, and I can€t for the life of me get through a Leningrad campaign no matter how hard I try. Crashes, corruption, lock-ups. Forget about adding more planes; fix what we have now. I am flying a P51 campaign and I get graphic corruption and lock-ups all the time. I have finished three campaigns out of dozens I have attempted. I don€t care about online; I want to play the game I bought. If this is how BoB is going to play out I am not interested.

I have gotten my monies worth out of this game, not including PF, so I can€t complain too much. I think doing a merge install was actually a bad idea because all the nasty habits FB has had for years have now been transferred over to PF.

VW-IceFire
01-25-2005, 08:24 AM
Sounds like you have some issues with the game that are best solved by the technical support section of the forums. They will tell you what drivers and settings you need to get the best out of your computer (for any game).

I don't have these issues. I can play the Leningrad campaign all day long and through the summer (like I did) with no problems at all. So the problem is not specifically with the game...

Breeze147
01-25-2005, 11:26 AM
This is the first time I have ever heard someone say that they can fly campaigns all day long without any problems. It seems the vast majority of people do end up with corruptions sooner or later. Starshoy had posted a solution of copying and pasting the last mission before the corruption. That did not work for me.

Usually, these threads complaining about the campaigns are only answered by handful of people. I'm just convinced that the vast majority of people on this forum (or at SimHQ) just do not care about the offline campaigners. I'm convinced that the "regulars" here are 90% onliners, who could care less about people that they do not fly with or simply because they have no interest in the campaigns. I've never had a user made campaign crash (yet). Maybe that's the solution right there.

My conclusion is that those vocal few of us that complain about the DGEN (and Lowengrin, for me anyway, is no option. It's too dam complicated and many have fits trying to get it to work) are voices crying in to the cold wind. Without somehow discovering that magic combination of computer components that some people have, we are condemned to never seeing how this thing turns out, or know the satisfaction of ultimate victory.

Extreme_One
01-25-2005, 11:35 AM
Graphical corruptions are nothing to do with campaigns but graphics card drivers.

Have you got an Nvidia card with 61.77 drivers by any chance?

If so get the latest drivers.

kiddknapp59
01-25-2005, 11:51 AM
The graphic corruption only happens in one particular campaign, with two different sets of drivers. It is always followed by a total lock up. I have a 6800 GT currently running 71.20 drivers.
What about lock ups, crashes to the desktop and general corruption? Graphic drivers again? My last attempt at Leningrad just failed. No graphic corruption, it just never gave me another mission. The last mission I flew crashed to the desktop when I clicked €œApply€.
There is a "head-in-the-sand" mentality about this issue and others as well. How about that autopilot? Man it is stupid. It has been stupid since the original IL2. Even the guy who reviews simulators for PC Gamer mentioned it in his review of PF. Some issues are ignored. The campaign problem is one of those issues.

Breeze147
01-25-2005, 12:47 PM
kiddnapp - I can practically guarantee that this will fall to page 2 before tomorrow morning.

kiddknapp59
01-25-2005, 12:56 PM
I was actually surprised I got any response at all, not surprised the first response was €œit doesn€t happen to me€ and really glad you spoke up with a similar experience.

Extreme_One
01-25-2005, 01:09 PM
It's not that no-one beleives you - I've had a campaign go tits-up on me maybe three times. But I've been playing for about three years now so I don't think one a year is so awful.

But it happens so infrequently and to so few people that there's not a lot can be done.

Many of the people who've had problems have custom DGen campaigns installed too (not syaing you have - how would I know?) so how can 1C or Starshoy offer support for those?

Graphics corruption are not caused by campaigns.
I can promise you that. a campaign is a series scripts - no more than text files - they don't alter game-code.

plumps_
01-25-2005, 01:53 PM
Test your RAM. (Look for Memtest86)

You have trouble with Leningrad campaigns - these play on the huge Gulf of Finnland map that takes very much RAM. I think it's been said that you need at least 768 MB RAM to play on that map (not counting the aircraft and other objects that will add to the memory usage) without using the swap file all the time.

Also, unlike static campaign missions, dynamic campaigns are generated and analyzed by DGen which is an external program that runs before and after a mission (not sure if it runs while you play the mission). FB/PF always takes all the resources it can get, and your computer seems to have trouble with starting and running that additional program correctly when its under the load of that huge map. It might be a driver or memory issue.

Again, ask for help in the community support forum.

kiddknapp59
01-25-2005, 01:57 PM
I have 2gigs of RAM, a PIV 3.6GHZ and the aforementioned 256mb 6800 GT. Graphics corruption is just one problem I have seen in just one campaign. The crashes, and campaign corruptions (not graphics) are more frequent. I have seen the game crash while using over 800mb of RAM (leak?).
My campaigns are pure as far as I know.

I get it, head-in-the-sand.

plumps_
01-25-2005, 02:41 PM
Head-in-the-sand... We're the forum, not the developers. All we can do is try to tell you what helped others:

Go to the community support forum.
Test your RAM. I've heard the same story you're telling us from someone else. Until finally he came back to the forum to tell us that he found out that his problems were caused by a faulty memory chip. I've heard the same story from other NVidia users. Until they found a driver that worked well with their video card and FB.

At the moment you're the one who seems to put his head in the sand.

kiddknapp59
01-25-2005, 02:51 PM
I am trying a reinstall right now. The computer is brand new, so I doubt the RAM is the problem, although it is not outside the realm of possibility. It works fine with everything else, and I have programs that use most of the 2gigs (Photoshop). I'll test it to be sure. PF ran better by itself, and I know I am not alone in that experience. The problems started with the merge install.

denisd71
01-25-2005, 02:54 PM
I am convinced that some files do in fact get corrupted in campaigns. When I first bought IL2 FB I had created 2 different pilots.

To date I have 4 and each one has a couple of campaigns a piece.

Now 2 of my current campaigns are not running as they did before (all prior to PF). Things like some graphical stalls and occasional and completely random issues (like being able to bounce from the ground at over 250KM/h WITHOUT having changed the difficulty settings .. no it has nothing to do with these settings)

If these issues happened with each and every campaign, i'd say fine its a driver issue. but for me its different campaigns for different pilots.

Definately a profile/campaign issue for me .. no doubt about it. Happens to my IL-2 campaign (72 sorties) and my french normandie campaign. none of my newer campaigns are affected at the moment.

PS I have latest ATI catalyst drivers and the card works well at the settings I have it at.

kiddknapp59
01-25-2005, 03:03 PM
Well that sure isn't a popular opinion. It seems we aren't allowed to have a bad experience with the campaign. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I am about done with the reinstall. And I'll test the RAM on my brand new $3000 computer. If things improve, I'll let you know. I have my doubts.

kiddknapp59
01-25-2005, 04:45 PM
I did a complete fresh install, all five CDs. Patched up to current. I started a Leningrad IL2 3M campaign. After the second mission I clicked €œapply€, the button depressed, but did nothing. Eventually it popped back out. Returning to the main menu wouldn€t work so I brought up the task manager and closed the program. I restarted and discovered I my campaign was complete after two missions. Hurray for me.

Extreme_One
01-25-2005, 04:58 PM
"Hurray for me"

Victimisation complex if ever I saw it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

When a DGen campaign crashes, 99% of the time there's an error log generated in your root FB folder.

I can't remember the name of 'em 'cause I haven't seen one in a while - (Hurray for me! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif) but it has an obvious filename.

If it's there it might give us a clue what's wrong...

Although I wouldn't be at all surprised if you turned out to be one of the 1% where an error log isn't created. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

kiddknapp59
01-25-2005, 05:27 PM
I'll check. I am running the memory test now, and it takes forever. When it is done I'll look for an error log. That would be handy.
I wonder if restarting the game between missions would be a good idea?

kiddknapp59
01-25-2005, 07:42 PM
There was no error log. As far as DGen was concerned there was no error. The game sort of locked up. The apply button popped back out; reclicking it did nothing really. None of the other buttons would work. So DGen saw it as a complete campaign after two missions.
My memory seems to be fine. I am going to try again. This time the same campaign, different plane, restart after each mission just in case it is a memory leak, or voodoo.

BaldieJr
01-25-2005, 07:52 PM
Oflline is garbage. Has been for a long time. Nobody listens, so there really is no need in complaining.

plumps_
01-25-2005, 07:57 PM
Don't listen to BaldieJR. Download some user-made missions and campaigns like my new QDPFSMP Quick & Dirty Pacific Fighters Single Missions Pack (http://home.arcor.de/rayluck/sturmovik/missionen-QDPFSMP-en.html). That's another way to avoid all those problems people have with the dynamic campaigns.

wayno7777
01-25-2005, 08:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Extreme_One:
"Hurray for me"

Victimisation complex if ever I saw it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

When a DGen campaign crashes, 99% of the time there's an error log generated in your root FB folder.

I can't remember the name of 'em 'cause I haven't seen one in a while - (Hurray for me! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif) but it has an obvious filename.

If it's there it might give us a clue what's wrong...

Although I wouldn't be at all surprised if you turned out to be one of the 1% where an error log isn't created. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's called Event Log, I think, Simon. I crash in the campaigns!

kiddknapp59
01-25-2005, 09:30 PM
Funny how all these people are having the same non-existent problem. Must be a case of pandemic victimization. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

plumps_
01-25-2005, 11:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kiddknapp59:
Funny how all these people are having the same non-existent problem. Must be a case of pandemic victimization. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You got that wrong. They're not having the same problem, they have various problems. Long flight times without any action, whole flights crashing into mountains, repetitive missions, AI too easy/too hard, flight paths leading over AAA concentrations that decimate your flights; whatever you like. Many of these issues are rooted in the fact that DGen is not an original part of IL-2 but an external program that was added because people were asking for dynamic campaigns.

plumps_
01-25-2005, 11:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wayno7777:
It's called Event Log, I think, Simon. I crash in the campaigns! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think he meant the DGen.log and DgenERROR.log. Read the Readme to find out what to do in case of Dgen bugs, there's a specific email address for reporting these. During the last weeks the developers have made dozens of changes to the dynamic campaigns in reaction to user requests and bug reports. One must be quite ignorant to say that nobody is listening. Maybe you just hadn't been talking to the right person yet.

There are bugs, which was confirmed by the developers, and I think that this is one of the reasons why we're still waiting for the big add-on: They ARE trying to fix it.

But not everybody has the same errors, and there is a chance that some of them are caused by drivers or hardware issues rather than by PF.

e5kimo
01-26-2005, 12:09 AM
part of the problem might be that not a lot of people fly that many missions on one constant install of il2.

i for example have flown a lot of campaigns for months without issues. however i delete a campaign as soon as the pilot dies. which rarely sees me over 10-20 missions per campaign. or i did formats and reinstalls without backing up profiles so i never approached numbers like 70 per campaign.

i dont think there is head in the sand mentality on either side. i would like to see better ai for sure and a more imersive feel to briefings and menus, more creativity from dgen or different game modes implemented rather than new planes/maps/objects. but in the end i figure it is all good. i exchange missions with friends and gather immersion rather through reading up on history than through the mission briefings.

fixing crashes and hardware incompatibilities is tremendously hard given the endless possible configuration of software running on any given system at the same time.
ironing out bugs that are under represented in comparison to others is something to hope for and other things will more often than not need more urgent addressing. i can understand that.

thats not to say the problems are not degen related but people are looking at it from all angles now trying to help out and suggest fixes.

nope, i dont think there is a head in the sand mentality either side.

verde13
01-26-2005, 12:52 AM
Kiddknapp,as far as the campaign crashes i'd say that something is wrong with your leningrad.DB files located at the Dgen folder.Check them for any wrongly spelled aircraft names or for any inconsistencies with the calendar.

Extreme_One
01-26-2005, 04:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kiddknapp59:
There was no error log. ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surprise surprise. I must be psychic http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Breeze147
01-26-2005, 04:55 AM
Kiddknapp:

Extreme_One and Plumps are the good guys. No need to go off the deep end on them. I, for instance, have just found out by reading through this thread that DGEN is an add-on. I never knew that. That explains a lot of things. I never knew there was a place to lodge complaints outlined in the Readme (I never read readmes).

Check out my story in the Combat Story Thread. Sometimes, you just have to make something up. I know that sometimes, you just have to be patient and believe that someone is working on this. Keep reporting problems to the right people and maybe we can get it worked out. I know that I have been a big voice in the "Nobody Cares" whine, but that is getting us no where. We have to keep pestering the people who write the programs to change this.

And if it doesn't: Well, it's not like someone boiled your cat. It isn't the end of the world.

kiddknapp59
01-26-2005, 09:57 AM
Just a couple of points first.
If there is something wrong with my Leningrad campaign it would be wrong for everyone. I did a fresh install and still had problems.
I don€t have one single problem. The campaign has crashed, or failed, in a half dozen different ways. And I have had other problems that don€t lead to a crash. Wingmen that fly into the ground, air show missions in which the other side has dozens of planes in the air, all kinds of oddities. I have also finished at least three campaigns, so all is not lost.
If this is the current state of affairs, fine. I can live with it, wait, and hope a solution arises. I just didn€t want to hear that it isn€t a problem at all, or that it was just me. I really thought this thread would be ignored altogether.
DGen did write three logs for the short campaign I tried (two or three missions). I went through them looking for some obvious reason why the campaign only lasted two days, but I don€t know what I am looking for. There was no error log because DGen just never saw it as an error. The game semi-locked up; the apply button depressed, did nothing, then popped back out. No other button would respond forcing me to use the task manager to shut down the game. When I restartd, I had finished the campaign.

dieg777
01-26-2005, 10:29 AM
kiddknapp59

There have always been various problems with DGEN
and ai - like wingmen crashing into you on landing and just lawndarting or ignoring bandits etc but it is listned to and generally fixs are put in place.
the guy who develops this program is called starshoy and he is always willing to listen to bug reports-if put politley.
He can be contacted via the address in the readme or you might be able to contact him through this forum.

http://www.simhq.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=114;DaysPrune=10

there is an independant mission generator from here that many- including myself rate highly

http://www.lowengrin.com/news.php

but please be warned that it can cause problems if you use this in an existing campaign if substitute for existing games generator- ok to use to generate new campaigns.

but with either there has sometimes been problems when the game is updated by patching

you might also like to generate your own individually tailored missions - if so then go here

http://www.uberdemon.com/

the community also develop their own campaigns which are generally more varied and interesting
there can be found on

http://www.netwings.org/library/Forgotten_Battles/Missions/index-10.html

and

http://www.pacific-fighters.com/en/missions.php

so hopefully you will find something in the above that will help

good luck

kiddknapp59
01-26-2005, 10:36 AM
I have a copy of DCG, in fact Paul sent me a beta of 3.08 that I intend to try later today. I have also played with the FMB, but that is a hobby unto itself.

dieg777
01-26-2005, 10:52 AM
Please note that Pauls program will take longer to generate and end missions so you will have to be patient and allow it to complete.
If you ctrl-alt-del while it is starting or ending you will lose that campaign

On the plus side it has more control and is more
realistic with your actions effecting the outcome

good luck

Atomic_Marten
01-26-2005, 10:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Breeze147:
This is the first time I have ever heard someone say that they can fly campaigns all day long without any problems. It seems the vast majority of people do end up with corruptions sooner or later. Starshoy had posted a solution of copying and pasting the last mission before the corruption. That did not work for me.

Usually, these threads complaining about the campaigns are only answered by handful of people. I'm just convinced that the vast majority of people on this forum (or at SimHQ) just do not care about the offline campaigners. I'm convinced that the "regulars" here are 90% onliners, who could care less about people that they do not fly with or simply because they have no interest in the campaigns. I've never had a user made campaign crash (yet). Maybe that's the solution right there.

My conclusion is that those vocal few of us that complain about the DGEN (and Lowengrin, for me anyway, is no option. It's too dam complicated and many have fits trying to get it to work) are voices crying in to the cold wind. Without somehow discovering that magic combination of computer components that some people have, we are condemned to never seeing how this thing turns out, or know the satisfaction of ultimate victory. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

120% agreed. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Especially that part about online/offline community..

Also all of the campaign crashing problems are related to encrypted campaigns.ini file; another words you are UNABLE to save your campaign. The latest one I crashed was DE fighter Center after 176 completed missions (late april 1945). I was on 61.77 and crashed my campaign, leaving the 'next' mission with blank campaign mission (map and briefing) screen. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

And only some time later I have picked up information that these drivers are 'bad'. How I'm suppose to know that? I have ruined months of playing just before the very end (completing) the campaign.

And I was very angy about that. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

Extreme_One
01-26-2005, 04:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Atomic_Marten:
....Also _all of the campaign crashing problems are related to encrypted _campaigns.ini_ file_; another words you are UNABLE to save your campaign. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not true!
The campaign.ini file is never corrupted. What happens is the next mission is never generated so on the last line of your campaign.ini file you have a reference to a file - say 1234567.mis - which was never generated - therefore you have no 1234567.mis file to load.

To fix this you simply delete the line 123467.mis and replace it with a copy of the line before. In other words you'll force the campaign to play the last mission again. If that doesn't work (extremely rare) then use the previous line.

It is a cobbled fix I know but you can continue a campaign.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The latest one I crashed was DE fighter Center after 176 completed missions (late april 1945). I was on 61.77 and crashed my campaign, leaving the 'next' mission with blank campaign mission (map and briefing) screen. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

And only some time later I have picked up information that these drivers are 'bad'. How I'm suppose to know that?
I have ruined months of playing just before the very end (completing) the campaign.

And I was very angy about that. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So that's somehow Oleg or Starshoy's fault that you didn't know about the 61.77 driver being bad?

BTW the bad 61.77 driver had nothing to do with campaigns crashing - it just meant you couldn't load the Finland map (in a campaign or single mission or whatever)

@kiddknapp59 - You might want to post the [DGen] section of your conf.ini?

kiddknapp59
01-26-2005, 05:14 PM
I don't have a [DGen] section in my conf.ini.
I just had a crash on the second mission I tried in a DCG campaign, skipped that mission and the third mission locked up hard. I am just about done now. I am going back to the DGen, but only for one more try. There are other games. I may just go back to a solo install of PF. The merge install is a mess.

Extreme_One
01-27-2005, 06:19 AM
So you've had a DCG campaign crash too now!

So are you going to blame this time? Paul Lowengrin, UBI, Oleg, Starshoy, me? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

One user -&gt; multiple problems.

I can see a pattern emerging...

Ever though about getting an X-Box? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

kiddknapp59
01-27-2005, 09:31 AM
Hey easy dude, that was kind of harsh. Acne getting you down?

I found a solution I can live with for this problem. I installed PF stand alone. I started this way and never had any real trouble with it. The merge was the problem. I am still playing around with the merge install, however I restart the game between missions. It may or may not help, but on the outside chance it is a memory leak it might be advisable.
Staying away from Leningrad seems to help too. The IL2 3M is often the plane in question when I have a problem, but it is part of the Leningrad campaign, so it is one variable out of many.
As for DCG I don€t blame anyone, least of all Paul. He made a program that interfaces with an obviously buggy game. I gave him all the information I could before I gave up on it. Stability was never the reason I was using the beta DCG; there were specific changes he made that I (and others) were looking at.
And despite the insults, I may try your campaigns. And as soon as there is a better alternative, I€ll switch video drivers; I won€t back date them so I need to wait for a new version.

Extreme_One
01-27-2005, 10:18 AM
Look mate - insults they may be but they are intended as tongue-in-cheek.

Do you really think that if I was having a go at someone I'd punctuate it with a "http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif" ??

Many people have attempted to help you - even though you posted this thread "expecting it to be ignored" - and you been constant with your accusations of "head-in-the-sand" etc...etc...

I've given detailed explantaions of what the dodgy 61.77 drivers mean (dfor the benefit of another poster in this thread) - I've explained the fact that graphical corruption is unrelated to campaign crashing and a (not perfect but still working) fix for a crashed campaign....

What more do you want - blood?

kiddknapp59
01-27-2005, 10:37 AM
No, I wanted what I got; conformation that I was not alone. And I did expect to be ignored, you can€t blame me for expectation.
And for about the third time, I have had far more troubles with the campaign that have nothing to do with graphic corruption. The campaigns themselves get corrupt, or lock up, or crash to the desk top. Graphic corruption can be a side effect of some other problem, so you can€t exclude it. You€re making causal statements about a correlation.
I just found some more current, albeit leaked, drivers that I am going to try. I€ll continue to play with it.
And for the record I wasn't using the 61.77 drivers at any point.