PDA

View Full Version : Using the decoys

U734
02-04-2007, 02:59 PM
I read that decoys start working some 5-6 mins after launch, so won't it be too late if a destroyer is pinging me and I have to wait 5 mins for decoy to 'cover' it's (destroyer's) pings? I mean that we both (me and DD) could be away from the place where decoy was deployed before it starts working.

U734
02-04-2007, 02:59 PM
I read that decoys start working some 5-6 mins after launch, so won't it be too late if a destroyer is pinging me and I have to wait 5 mins for decoy to 'cover' it's (destroyer's) pings? I mean that we both (me and DD) could be away from the place where decoy was deployed before it starts working.

hueywolf123
02-04-2007, 03:06 PM
No, if the DD is pining you, you'll know if he has sighted you by a slight echo on each ping. Until then, he's just looking for you. The decoy sets up a false echo, so, launch it, then turn away from it and head off at depth.
It won't be long before you hear them depth charging the false echo. Everytime a series of charges goes off, that is your time to speed up but only in bursts or they'll hear you when the decoy runs out

demigod151
02-04-2007, 03:29 PM
Before I began using GWX I used a decoy in stock game to trick a Destroyer.

When I used it that one time, I allowed the Destroyer to positively ping me. I was at 70m having executed a crash dive. I knewn I was showing the Destroyer my broadside even without using external view. So as he drew nearer I punched to ahead flank, hit hard to port and hit D to dive.

The boat was turning away and going down, as our depth was beginning to increase from 70m I launched the decoy, it worked. The Destroyer then proceeded to depthcharge hell out of this decoy. While I was at 160m slinking away at silent speed.

The only thing is, Decoys are not infallible and you only have a limited amount. One is usually enough. You will have to keep your wits about you in making sure your acoustic profile is as minimal as possible when trying to trick the Destroyer with Decoys.

Also, one other thing to add, if you play with the little indicator which changed colours as the U-Boat is more or less detectable. When they lock onto the Decoy and start an attack run. The meter will change to red. This happened to me. I panicked, went to external view and saw the Destroyer was nowhere near me at all! He then proceeded to depthcharge the decoy again.

When the Decoy stopped working, he swept the area for a little while then he cleared off, so I am guessing I succeeded in my duplicitous act! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Foehammer-1
02-04-2007, 03:50 PM
It may seem that you have a limited number of decoys, since you can only launch about 3 i tink, after short time intervals. However, if you launch them far apart (say after gettign away from a DD), you can once again launch more. Oh, and it is safe to hit ahead flank before launching a decoy. This will give you some speed, and the DD will know where you are anyway, because of the decoy. Don't forget to slow down after a couple seconds, and change your heading and depth

U734
02-05-2007, 05:20 AM
Thanks for replies.

Goose_Green
02-05-2007, 05:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Foehammer-1:
It may seem that you have a limited number of decoys, since you can only launch about 3 i tink, after short time intervals. However, if you launch them far apart (say after gettign away from a DD), you can once again launch more. Oh, and it is safe to hit ahead flank before launching a decoy. This will give you some speed, and the DD will know where you are anyway, because of the decoy. Don't forget to slow down after a couple seconds, and change your heading and depth </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

Excellent post. I have learned to use them prior to making any change in depth - it kind of fools the DD as to where you are. I normally release them when I'm about 60 to 70 meters down when in the crash dive process and at ahead flank - I then cut the engines back to 1/3 speed and let the initial momentum enbale me to get deeper without making any more noise than the decoy. It goes without saying that it's best to be in silent running from the get go.

logman01
02-05-2007, 01:14 PM
How many decoys do you get? I just got the Bold 2. They work great when you just hit a convoy and are going deep to reload. However, I always run out at the worst time. It would be nice to have a counter or something in the game. I guess I will have to keep track on my own.

Also, what is the significant difference in the different types of Bold decoys?

Foehammer-1
02-05-2007, 06:02 PM
Difference is in time they are active, Bold 5 i believe is the best one. Don't shoot one out unless you are absolutely sure the DD has a bead on you, as it will blow your cover. This way you shouldn't run out

dauntlessdave
02-06-2007, 09:32 AM
I believe I tested this once, you have 10 shots of Bold 2 Decoy. I did not try to see if they recharged after an encounter to be used again on the same patrol.

logman01
02-08-2007, 01:18 PM
Yeah, I counted this patrol. I got 10 decoys before they ran out. Of course that was the precise moment that I had a Hunt II bearing down on me. He DC me for an hour before I got sick of it and made a quick run to periscope depth and got him with a lucky stern tube shot.

Those decoys work well when used properly.

Realjambo
02-08-2007, 03:07 PM
Found this on UBoat War (http://www.uboatwar.net/equipment.htm) about Bold. The last paragraph is interesting....

On 28th September 1942 Adolf Hitler and senior Kriegsmarine officers engaged in conference in Berlin, one of the prime reasons being Hitler's desire for a "decoy torpedo" to simulate the destruction of U-boat. His original opinion was that special torpedoes carrying oil and various items of wreckage could be carried and launched in the event of a prolonged hunt by enemy destroyers. However the loss of an operational torpedo tube for the carrying of such a device was unacceptable to U-boat officers.

The compromise that was reached resulted in probably the most effective of the German anti sonar counter-measures. Named Bold (short for Kobold meaning "deceiving spirit" or "goblin") this device comprised a 15cm diameter capsule filled with 370grams of calcium and zinc that was expelled from the stern compartment of a U-boat through a purpose built ejector (named the Pillenwerfer - pill-thrower - by crewmen). The calcium-zinc compound was packed within a wire mesh bag, in turn stored inside an aluminium canister. Sealed within a waterproof outer layer there was a hydrostatic valve that controlled the entry of seawater into the canister. Upon contact with sea water the compound within the capsule produced hydrogen gas resulting in a large mass of bubbles that resembled on ASDIC the echo produced by a submarine contact. The hydrostatic valve regulated the entry of seawater to such an extent that the Bold capsule could continue to emit bubbles for up to 25 minutes.

Two other canisters were developed to be launched by the U-boat's Pillenwerfer. The first was a miniature torpedo that carried no warhead but only an electric motor that would circle at a given depth and simulate the noise created by a U-boat's electric drive before its small battery was exhausted. The second more closely mirrored Hitler's original intention and contained oil which rose to the surface creating a small oil slick for attackers to see.

dauntlessdave
02-09-2007, 07:53 AM
25 minutes of bubble time? I don't recall bold 2 working for longer than 5 minutes in SH3.

logman01
02-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Do the BOLDS work on active or passive sonar better? Do the bubbles draw their hydrophones to it and the also cause an echo for their ASDIC?

danurve
02-12-2007, 01:34 PM
Realjambo; that was good information, thanx for the post.

While I've yet to break into `41 I have hopes to one day check into the 'Bold 2' device. But now I'm also wondering if dauntlessdave's time is a game mechanic issue then is there a cfg or txt edit possible to correct that.

Kaleun1961
02-12-2007, 01:53 PM
This Wiki page has a diagram:

Pillenwerfer Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pillenwerfer)

Another link:

Sonar Decoys (http://www.uboataces.com/sonar-decoys.shtml)