PDA

View Full Version : AC Revelations - Ezio's language?

SixKeys
06-22-2011, 12:44 PM
Apologies if this has already been discussed. Just something that occurred to me:

Revelations marks the first time Ezio has been outside Italy. What language will he use to communicate in Constantinople? Surely most people there don't speak Italian, and since Ezio has never traveled outside his own country before, he's never had the need to learn another language.
Sure, there were a couple of missions in Brotherhood where you went to Spain, but since you were fighting Cesare's armies, it made sense you could understand what they were saying, after all they were Italians too.

In AC1, Alta´r could most likely understand Arabic and English. Whenever you encountered German, Turkish or French soldiers, their dialogue was not translated, meaning Alta´r probably didn't understand those languages. It seemed realistic that not everyone around you "magically" spoke your language.

Ezio, so far, has always been surrounded by other Italians. In the Revelations demo we see Yusuf talking to him. Does this mean Yusuf speaks Italian? Why? Or does Ezio speak Yusuf's language? If so, where did he learn it?

SixKeys
06-22-2011, 12:44 PM
Apologies if this has already been discussed. Just something that occurred to me:

Revelations marks the first time Ezio has been outside Italy. What language will he use to communicate in Constantinople? Surely most people there don't speak Italian, and since Ezio has never traveled outside his own country before, he's never had the need to learn another language.
Sure, there were a couple of missions in Brotherhood where you went to Spain, but since you were fighting Cesare's armies, it made sense you could understand what they were saying, after all they were Italians too.

In AC1, Alta´r could most likely understand Arabic and English. Whenever you encountered German, Turkish or French soldiers, their dialogue was not translated, meaning Alta´r probably didn't understand those languages. It seemed realistic that not everyone around you "magically" spoke your language.

Ezio, so far, has always been surrounded by other Italians. In the Revelations demo we see Yusuf talking to him. Does this mean Yusuf speaks Italian? Why? Or does Ezio speak Yusuf's language? If so, where did he learn it?

medcsu11
06-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Constantinople was a major trade center during the time and their main trade partner was the Venician Republic. Anyhow, it is very possible that Italian is widely used.

kriegerdesgottes
06-22-2011, 01:01 PM
Yeah like medcsu11 said, the Italian city states of the time were extremely powerful throughout all of europe and that area.In Constantinople, venician currency was even being used so it's def very plausible that many people there would have spoken some Italian.

Rakudaton
06-22-2011, 01:21 PM
In the gameplay demo:

Ship Captain: You are... Ezio Auditore?
Ezio: Si. Sorry for the delay.

(Cue epic music)

Anyway. He clearly says "si" there, meaning he's speaking Italian. Whether this is deliberate, or the devs are still thinking in AC2/B mode, is anyone's guess.

Jakob4242
06-22-2011, 02:46 PM
Since Constantinople is a central trading hub, then there might be several languages spoken in the game. However, it's hard to say if Ezio has learned several languages or only speaks Italian, but my guess is on the former.

Abeonis
06-22-2011, 03:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SixKeys:

Ezio, so far, has always been surrounded by other Italians. In the Revelations demo we see Yusuf talking to him. Does this mean Yusuf speaks Italian? Why? Or does Ezio speak Yusuf's language? If so, where did he learn it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As you point out yourself, Ezio travels to Spain at the end of Brotherhood, which is not in Italy. The army Cesare commands at Viana is Spanish, not Italian.

medcsu11
06-22-2011, 03:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jakob4242:
Since Constantinople is a central trading hub, then there might be several languages spoken in the game. However, it's hard to say if Ezio has learned several languages or only speaks Italian, but my guess is on the former. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We know he speaks some French so it wouldnt be out of the question he speaks some of something else. Although in the demo, Yusuf wasnt speaking Italian or anything else. If I had to pick, I stick by my earlier idea that being a major hub, Italian was prevalant.

Calvarok
06-22-2011, 06:08 PM
I think that he speaks Turkish with an Italian accent and some Italian words thrown in. So to us, he sounds pretty much the same.

An Assassin leader sounds like someone who would learn lots of languages.

Bipolar Matt
06-22-2011, 08:12 PM
Constantinople was the crossroads of the world at the time, with Italy being a major power at the time, so Italian was likely spoken among some in the city at the time. Or perhaps even English? Who knows.

Chamboozer
06-22-2011, 09:50 PM
Yeah, what people have said is true. The Genoans have always had a large presence in Constantinople (They controlled Galata before the Ottoman conquest) and the Venetians were major trading partners for the Turks. It's reasonable to expect that many well-educated people can speak Italian.

ThaWhistle
06-23-2011, 12:31 AM
duh, they are speaking galactic basic.

/nerd mode off

payrob07
06-23-2011, 12:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rakudaton:
In the gameplay demo:

Ship Captain: You are... Ezio Auditore?
Ezio: Si. Sorry for the delay.

(Cue epic music)

Spanish, Italian, or French! OOOO

I had to be that guy

Anyway. He clearly says "si" there, meaning he's speaking Italian. Whether this is deliberate, or the devs are still thinking in AC2/B mode, is anyone's guess. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

reini03
06-23-2011, 03:10 AM
Maybe there were some turkish girls in Firenze... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

JJTHoukes
06-23-2011, 05:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Calvarok:
I think that he speaks Turkish with an Italian accent and some Italian words thrown in. So to us, he sounds pretty much the same. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This, in combination with what everyone else said, I think.

I think that to those that don't speak Italian, he speaks Turkish.. with his Italian accent and words, ofcourse. Because without that, Ezio wouldn't be Ezio. Besides, nobody that barely speaks a certain language speaks without an accent. Especially not an Italian. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

I also think Ezio speaks Italian to those that speak Italian, like that writer from Venice?
His new love interest?

Azugo
06-23-2011, 06:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MagnifyHope:
Maybe there were some turkish girls in Firenze... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's gotta be it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

El_Sjietah
06-23-2011, 06:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BipolarMatt:
Constantinople was the crossroads of the world at the time, with Italy being a major power at the time, so Italian was likely spoken among some in the city at the time. Or perhaps even English? Who knows. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
English wasn't as widespread back then as it is today. It'd be more likely to hear Spanish, German or French than English.

Inorganic9_2
06-23-2011, 07:07 AM
[QUOTE]In AC1, Alta´r could most likely understand Arabic and English. Whenever you encountered German, Turkish or French soldiers, their dialogue was not translated, meaning Alta´r probably didn't understand those languages. It seemed realistic that not everyone around you "magically" spoke your language. QUOTE]

I think Alta´r would probably have spoken French, rather than English. He speaks to Garnier and Robert easily. The big giveaway is that he speaks to King Richard, who couldn't speak English.

I imagine the people in Constantinople probably speak Italian, with Ezio learning Turkish along the way. I doubt he can speak any at the beginning.

Also, it's possible Ezio can speak Spanish, seeing as he went to Spain twice and Italian and Spanish are very similar.

Also, I like the way that Yusuf does an Ezio and throws Turkish into the English translation (perhaps him speaking Italian but throwing Turkish in?). He greats Ezio with the Turkish equivalent of "Signor" I believe (I don't speak Turkish, so I'm just guessing)

an-assassin
06-23-2011, 09:24 AM
Maybe the same explaination as that he can speak french. "There where a couple girls from Constantinople in Firenze.

Turkiye96
06-23-2011, 10:02 AM
well at the time the official language was ottoman, ( sort of a blend between turkish and arabic) but seeing as very few people still know that language the reasonable language to pick as a substitute would be Turkish. Also im not too sure i agree with the statement that most of Istanbul would speak Italian.. even though Ezio is likely to run into a couple of italians over there (and italian speaking Tukrs) its highly unlikely that most of Istanbul would speak Italian, it is as though you would say most of Germany or England would speak Italian (which doesn't make sence).sure Italy has infuenced the area in a couple of places (in the past)but not enough for Italian to become a major language. it is said in AC1 that the animus translates ONLY THE IMPORTANT speech and that it wont bother translating the unimportant stuff (BUT it wouldn't translate easy stuff like ''bene'' which means good). so it is very possible that Altair could speak English, Turkish, French, and many other languages, we dont know, all we can know is he could Speak to his assassination targets so if you look into that, you couple find out some or all of the languages he spoke. Looking at Ezio's past, we know he is a noble and it is very possible that he could have learnt a lot of languages, ( we currently know that he speaks Italian and French) so it wouldn't be too hard to assume he could speak Ottoman too. furthermore, we know Ezio in his old age has become wiser and probabally has has the oppertunity and time to learn more languages, as a master assassin with his goal of fighting the templars on a GLOBAL scale (previously stated by Ubisoft) would encourage him to learn multipul languages. i just dont think it would be accurate to use Italian in the whole of Istanbul just for Ezio. while it would seem more plausable if Ezio had learn Turkish in the past along with a lot of other languages.

also seeing as Yusuf says ''sayun'' and it isn't translated because it doesn't need translating (the animus picks what to translate), we can assume that he is speaking Turkish and Ezio understands him so, by that logic, he must know Turkish.

Inorganic9_2
06-23-2011, 11:55 AM
The assumption that because "sayun" isn't translated means Ezio can speak Ottoman/Turkish makes no sense. I doubt Ezio can speak German, but some German from Papal guards isn't translated either. Just because something isn't translated, doesn't mean Ezio understands it.

Chamboozer
06-23-2011, 02:23 PM
Rather, I think the translation represents what Desmond can understand. If it were what Ezio could understand then the ACII + ACB would be entirely in the Italian language.

It's very likely that one of Ezio's students whom has been to Constantinople taught him to speak Ottoman. After all, you did send assassins there in ACB.

Oatkeeper
06-23-2011, 03:19 PM
Ezio speaks French as well, so perhaps he is talented at picking up other languages. Plus, like someone else said, Constantinople was a huge trading center.

BK-110
11-20-2011, 04:49 PM
I hope it's alright to revive this thread, now that the game is out...

I still wonder what language Ezio is speaking throughout the game. It's very unlikely that most people he meets understand Italian. One would think that he learned Turkish at some point. But while (minor spoiler) <span class="ev_code_WHITE">singing as a minstrel</span>, he says himself that his Turkish is absurd...

LieutenantJojo
11-20-2011, 05:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BK-110:
I hope it's alright to revive this thread, now that the game is out...

I still wonder what language Ezio is speaking throughout the game. It's very unlikely that most people he meets understand Italian. One would think that he learned Turkish at some point. But while (minor spoiler) <span class="ev_code_WHITE">singing as a minstrel</span>, he says himself that his Turkish is absurd... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And Yusuf mentions in the beginning that he has a hard time speaking/understanding that italian "gibberish". So it must have been damn funny to hear those 2 talk to each other. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Krayus Korianis
11-20-2011, 05:11 PM
Ezio knows Turkish. He speaks it at certain parts of the game.

BK-110
11-20-2011, 05:56 PM
My best guess is that he speaks Turkish with a thick Italian accent, which might be what he means by "my Turkish is absurd". Or perhaps he just jokes about his Turkish being absurd, since he does <span class="ev_code_WHITE">assume the role of an Italian minstrel</span>...

LieutenantJojo
11-20-2011, 05:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Krayus_Korianis:
Ezio knows Turkish. He speaks it at certain parts of the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, he says certain words in the game, but never a full dialogue.

Krayus Korianis
11-20-2011, 05:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LieutenantJojo:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Krayus_Korianis:
Ezio knows Turkish. He speaks it at certain parts of the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, he says certain words in the game, but never a full dialogue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because of the Animus. It has a glitchy translation software. lol. Blame the Animus for all things! Seriously, it works.

Saqaliba
11-20-2011, 06:09 PM
How would a Constantinopolitan and an Italian converse in the 17th century?

Considering that the residence of this area would be speaking Latin, Greek and Turkish... most likely, it would be plausible to consider that they spoke in a common tongue. That could be Latin between a Byzantine and an Italian, but not so for a Turk and an Italian.

NewBlade200
11-20-2011, 06:37 PM
Well, back then Klingon was the universally spoken language so it is reasonable that Yusuf and Ezio would have spoken that with some Turkish and Italian thrown in. Or they speak sign language. It would explain why they move their hands so much.

rileypoole1234
11-20-2011, 07:18 PM
Ezio's a smart man. He probably knows quite a few languages.

E-Zekiel
11-21-2011, 12:28 AM
1. Given the fact he uses a number of Arabic phrases when speaking in Revelations, it's safe to say that on top of Italian and French, he likely speaks Arabic.

2. As an additional note, Alta´r's codexes are more than likely in Arabic, and Ezio read those as well.

He does speak Italian in a few instances (mainly to people that also appear to speak Italian), but he often uses Arabic phrases in conversation. So I think this is enough to assume that to Italian speakers, he speaks Italian. To Arabic speakers that do not speak Italian, he speaks Arabic.

vorenus73
11-21-2011, 01:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SixKeys:

Ezio, so far, has always been surrounded by other Italians. In the Revelations demo we see Yusuf talking to him. Does this mean Yusuf speaks Italian? Why? Or does Ezio speak Yusuf's language? If so, where did he learn it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really good question. IF we think about Ezio... he sure wasn't in Turkish class while he was screwing around in Florence before all this started.

The Venetians ran Constantinople for a while, so historically it is accurate that many of the Turks there would know how to speak Italian.

My best guess though is that this is something the game developers hoped nobody would notice. :-)

scope2005
11-21-2011, 01:50 AM
I have also thought about this.

I'm quite sure that on the boat when we first speak to Sulieman, that he says something in Italian to Ezio - then asks him if he said it correctly. Ezio tells him its close enough.

This would imply that whatever language they are speaking - it isn't Itallian.

Ezio seems to have a bit of a knack for picking up languages - we know from brotherhood that he speaks french (the excuse being that he learned it from a couple of french girls in Florence).

As Ezio was brought up in nobility - it is likely that his education involved the learning of the major languages of the day and possibly even Latin.

JJTHoukes
11-21-2011, 02:07 AM
Even more proof that he's not speaking Italian is in one of his songs when he's dressed up as a minstrel.

I don't remember it completely, but it went a bit like:
"I'm singing in Italian, something you don't understand...".

Pr0metheus 1962
11-21-2011, 03:47 AM
The official language of pre-fall Constantinople was Greek, but I believe the general population spoke either Greek or Turkish as their everyday language and citizens probably would have known both languages. Also, since Constantinople was a commercial hub, and with Italy being a big influence, residents involved in international commerce would probably have known Italian, just as modern Istanbul merchants know English. Although the fall of Byzantine Constantinople was only about 60 years earlier, my guess is that, by the time of Ezio's visit, Greek would have been quickly dying out as a language in common usage.

So the short answer is that Ezio could have spoken Italian and would have been understood by many of the people he talks with in the game. However, as a Florentine nobleman, he would surely know Greek too, if needed. Perhaps we wouldn't expect him to speak Turkish fluently, but we already know he's adept at languages - he speaks French pretty well, albeit with an appalling accent.

Scystab
11-21-2011, 09:37 AM
Hey!

So I know the talk is more or less about Ezio, but there were also some questions about how Altair could speak so many languages. I think I can aid with an answer. The whole Assassin's Creed is strongly taken up on a very interesting book from Vladimir Bartol, called Alamut (great read, fyi).

The books in detail shows the life of the warriors, called fedais (or Assassins, if you want to relate), who lived behind the fortified walls of a stronghold up on a hill, surrounded and guarded by a river (the place being called Alamut). There, the lifestyle was very strick, clean ("pure") and everyday the chosen students (fedais) had hard physical training (climbing walls, swordsmanship and other combat-assassin's creed-style thingies) as well as intelectual classes - learning foreign cultures and languages. At the end of the book, the grandmaster and the leader of the fortess ordered one of his generals to conquer a stronghold with the same stratigic advantages - the stronghold being Masyaf - and establish the same school for fedais there.

Ok, so this is the rough story from Alamut, but if you read the book "The secret crusade - the untold story of Altair", you learn that the main assassin headquarters are based in Alamut, so here is the connection. Also, in the Asssassin's Creed novel, Altair told the story of his life as a young assassin to Nicolo Polo and he did mention a strick lifestyle, training and education, just as you can read in Alamut. So i guess it's safe to assume that this is how Altair learned other languages.

As for Ezio, I don't know those details, I do however know, that he did not know Spanish. In the novel Brotherhood, you can read that when he, Machiavelli and Da Vinci went to Spain and tried to gather some informations from the locals about Michelleto's whereabouts, they couldn't understand them.

Other thant that, Beeryus made a good argument with Ezio being an educated nobleman.

Looking forward to see where this conversation heads,
/scy out

BK-110
11-21-2011, 10:20 AM
I don't know whether this should be considered a spoiler, so I'll make some parts white just to be sure.

(Possible spoiler) Well, judging by the languages <span class="ev_code_WHITE">Suleiman spoke</span> -- Ottoman Turkish, Arabic, Chagatai (a dialect of Turkic languages and related to Uyghur), and Persian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suleiman_the_Magnificent) (thanks, Wikipedia -- Ezio had to be able to speak one of these, as he does <span class="ev_code_WHITE">speak alone with Suleiman several times.</span>

The argument for his Arabic ability is invalid, as the codex was encoded by Alta´r and each individual page was deciphered by Leonardo. What Leonardo says suggests that the code consisted of a mix of languages.

I'd say that it's most likely that Ezio had learned Turkish at some point, as it was the official language of the Ottoman Empire.

E-Zekiel
11-21-2011, 03:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BK-110:
I don't know whether this should be considered a spoiler, so I'll make some parts white just to be sure.

(Possible spoiler) Well, judging by the languages <span class="ev_code_WHITE">Suleiman spoke</span> -- Ottoman Turkish, Arabic, Chagatai (a dialect of Turkic languages and related to Uyghur), and Persian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suleiman_the_Magnificent) (thanks, Wikipedia -- Ezio had to be able to speak one of these, as he does <span class="ev_code_WHITE">speak alone with Suleiman several times.</span>

The argument for his Arabic ability is invalid, as the codex was encoded by Alta´r and each individual page was deciphered by Leonardo. What Leonardo says suggests that the code consisted of a mix of languages.

I'd say that it's most likely that Ezio had learned Turkish at some point, as it was the official language of the Ottoman Empire. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok? But you ignored the other thing I said. Where Ezio uses Arabic phrases frequently.

I dunno why it's so hard for people to figure out that he speaks Arabic for the most part, only speaking Italian to those who understand it, lol. (like Sofia).

Was even talking to the bomb-maker and he tried out an Italian phrase on Ezio to see if he pronounced it right. But yeah. It's very clear to me from the context and set up of the game that he speaks Arabic.

BK-110
11-21-2011, 04:19 PM
I'm rather sure that the phrases he speaks are Turkish or Ottoman Turkish. For instance, "evet" is Turkish for "yes", "arkada??m" is Turkish as well and means something like "my friend".

E-Zekiel
11-21-2011, 04:22 PM
You could be right. I don't know any Turkish but I know a few Arabic phrases and they rang as familiar. I'll admit I didn't exactly research it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

But, my point was more than he's obviously not speaking Italian, and is speaking the tongue(s?) of the people he's talking to. In this case, either Turkish or Arabic - whichever it actually is.

Seje12
11-24-2011, 12:06 PM
I think they speak turkish, because there is a lot of moments when Ezio or some others characters are saying Turkish words such as "Evet" Wich mean "yes" in Turkish and "Kardas" which mean "friend". There are a lot of Turkish words used and sometimes people in the background talks Turkish.
My parents come from Turkey and because of that i know tŘrkish. I gotta admit that it was pretty fun to hear them talk TŘrkish every time they did http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

vorenus73
11-25-2011, 05:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Seje12:
My parents come from Turkey and because of that i know tŘrkish. I gotta admit that it was pretty fun to hear them talk TŘrkish every time they did http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It is really cool, isn't it? I grew up in a house where I heard a lot of Italian... in ACII and ACB sometimes I would just start laughing at something one of the people on the street would say, or little phrases Ezio throws into conversation. Now that we are in Constantinople I am totally lost but for anyone familiar with Turkish it must be an extra bonus!!

Seje12
11-27-2011, 08:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by vorenus73:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Seje12:
My parents come from Turkey and because of that i know tŘrkish. I gotta admit that it was pretty fun to hear them talk TŘrkish every time they did http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It is really cool, isn't it? I grew up in a house where I heard a lot of Italian... in ACII and ACB sometimes I would just start laughing at something one of the people on the street would say, or little phrases Ezio throws into conversation. Now that we are in Constantinople I am totally lost but for anyone familiar with Turkish it must be an extra bonus!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes it┤s pretty funny http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Few of the guards in AC1 actually also talked a little Turkish, but they talk it much more in AC:R

Will_Lucky
11-27-2011, 10:32 AM
Well Ezio was travelling for two years before Revelations in the area near Masayf, he might have picked up Arabic from those two years.