PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated Server Questions

DRB_Hookech0
12-15-2004, 10:26 AM
I'm looking into renting a dedicated server for my squadron. Before I spend dang near 200 boes a month on one I need to ask a few things.

Somewhere, I read that the dedicated server is DF only. Is this true? If so, when can we expect to see the ability to also host COOP missions with the dedicated server?

Current dedicated server hosts, can you give me an idea of the average bandwidth usage you are seeing on a monthly basis? We are going to be hosting COOPs about 3-4 times a week and the server will most likely sit idle for the rest of the time.

Server ram requirments? 512 or 1 gig+

Any current Dedicated server admins have a recommendation on a good game hosting provider?

DRB_Hookech0
12-15-2004, 10:26 AM
I'm looking into renting a dedicated server for my squadron. Before I spend dang near 200 boes a month on one I need to ask a few things.

Somewhere, I read that the dedicated server is DF only. Is this true? If so, when can we expect to see the ability to also host COOP missions with the dedicated server?

Current dedicated server hosts, can you give me an idea of the average bandwidth usage you are seeing on a monthly basis? We are going to be hosting COOPs about 3-4 times a week and the server will most likely sit idle for the rest of the time.

Any current Dedicated server admins have a recommendation on a good game hosting provider?

crazyivan1970
12-15-2004, 10:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DRB_Hookech0:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, dedicated server is Dog Fight only.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

On idle it doesn`t use bandwidth.. Loaded... well depence on how many clients on it. With 30 clients server is averaging between 30 to 40 kb/sec

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That depending on the maps that you use and how many clients are going to be in there. 512 is minimum... 1GB is prefferable, but not neccessary.. anything over 1GB is overkill http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Any current Dedicated server admins have a recommendation on a good game hosting provider? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I run it from home... so can`t answer this one for you http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif i am sure others will.

DRB_Hookech0
12-15-2004, 11:13 AM
ok DF only but will we see a COOP added?

We fly COOPs about 3 times a week. When 10-15 people are in the game, most ISP cant handle it, at least none of ours seem to, and the game turns into a slide show.

If renting a low ping server from a data service center (like Dallas) on a backbone would cure this slide show issue then I'd be happy. But if the dedicated server part of PF is DF only then how in the hell are we supposed to have:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> An unsurpassed multiplayer option. Take part in massive live engagements on huge maps that feature plane formations, numerous ships, and ground troops in a variety of modes from free-for-all dogfights to multiplayer campaigns. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats off the PF web page BTW.

crazyivan1970
12-15-2004, 11:22 AM
Yes, it is... it could be done, but not VIA dedicated server. COOPs and On Line campaign could be hosted via regular game. No, COOPs will not be added as far as i know.

As far as COOPs go, i host COOPs at hyperlobby and usually it`s a full house 28ppl + host. Host is my server computer, but i run it via game. And ISP handles it with ease http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Running COOPs or Online campaign on dedicated machine where host does not participate (just parked somewhere)... in the windowed mode with no sound and minimal graphics possible, allows significantly increase amount of participants. If your connection and hardware allows you of course.

Cheers!

DRB_Hookech0
12-15-2004, 11:33 AM
ok....I'll investigate further