PDA

View Full Version : Yak-1 "razorback" with 105PF engine and 12.5's?

mandrill7
06-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Did this variant exist? Or was the increase in armament and the new engine only found with the bubbletop Yak-1B?

mandrill7
06-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Did this variant exist? Or was the increase in armament and the new engine only found with the bubbletop Yak-1B?

TinyTim
06-12-2009, 12:38 PM
As far as I know the only razorback version of Yaks armed with UBS and sporting a 105PF was a Yak-7B.

There however was a razorback Yak-1 with a PF engine, but it retained two ShKAS LMGs. Click (http://www.airwar.ru/enc/fww2/yak1-105pf.html).

na85
06-12-2009, 12:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Did this variant exist? Or was the increase in armament and the new engine only found with the bubbletop Yak-1B? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well the ShKAS is a 7.62mm gun, and the Berezin UBS is 12.7mm.

As far as I know there are no 12.5mm Russian aircraft weapons. I assume you meant 12.7mm.

As for the engine, Yak-1's were being built with VK-105PF engines starting in late May/early June of 1942.

Yak-1b's and field-modified yak-1's with bubble canopies didn't start appearing until mid to late July of the same year.

So there definitely were 'razorback' yak-1's with VK-105PF but it is very very unlikely that they had UBS (12.7x108mm) guns, as these were not even field tested until July 1942.

EDIT: TinyTim and I posted at the same time

na85
06-12-2009, 12:46 PM
Hey TT that link you gave is in Cyrillic. Can you read it? If so where did you learn?

mandrill7
06-12-2009, 12:56 PM
Spassiba, Komrades!

Just what I wanted to know. Perfect!

na85, the best book/ audio set for learning Russian I've discovered is "Ultimate Russian", published by Random House in the Living Language series. It's just a really tough language for an English speaker to master and I never progressed beyond rookie.

You can probably look up the Cyrillic alphabet and the sounds of each letter on line for free.

na85
06-12-2009, 01:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mandrill7:

na85, the best book/ audio set for learning Russian I've discovered is "Ultimate Russian", published by Random House in the Living Language series. It's just a really tough language for an English speaker to master and I never progressed beyond rookie. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've found that being fluent in two languages from early childhood (english/french) has helped me pick up others easily, but then again Slavic languages share little in common with the romances and with english, so... hard to say.

Thanks though, I'll check it out.

TinyTim
06-12-2009, 02:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by na85:
Hey TT that link you gave is in Cyrillic. Can you read it? If so where did you learn? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can, slowly though, my Russian is far from fluent. Cyrillic itself isn't a problem, since we had an obligatory Serbo-Croat language in primary school (besides English) - Serbs use Cyrillic. Learning Russian is also much easier if your mother language is Slavic.

Unfortunately the excellent avio-encyclopedia that link is from is only in Russian - there's plenty of really good stuff there.

mandrill7
06-12-2009, 02:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by na85:
I've found that being fluent in two languages from early childhood (english/french) has helped me pick up others easily, but then again Slavic languages share little in common with the romances and with english, so... hard to say. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The lack of any vocabulary or grammar in common with Western European languages is the killer. I can speak okay French and Spanish and enough German to stay out of trouble when I visit Europe, but Russian is totally different.

I have some Russian friends and "show off" my 40 or so Russian words every now and again. But as far as making any real headway, well.... not so much.