PDA

View Full Version : dcg

tonedog2005
12-26-2005, 06:59 AM
can someone explain the differences between the stock dynamic campaigns, the expansion pack dynamic campaigns like "the last days" and dcg? are the stock FB/PA dynamic campaigns even worth tryin.

tonedog2005
12-26-2005, 06:59 AM
can someone explain the differences between the stock dynamic campaigns, the expansion pack dynamic campaigns like "the last days" and dcg? are the stock FB/PA dynamic campaigns even worth tryin.

dieg777
12-26-2005, 08:33 AM
skycat has a good explination here on expansion packs

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m...341039093#4341039093 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/8191058093/r/4341039093#4341039093)

basically campaigns come in four varieties, stock generated DGEN, tweaked stock generated, DCG and scripted

my opinion on each

1) stock is ok but a little repetative

2) tweaked stock e.g. west front add on and disaster on the frontiers are better, as the guys put in more historical planesets and tweak the action

3) DCG is a replacement for DGEN- it allows you to tailor many things so you can fly the types of planes and missions you prefer- a bit of work initially but better still

4) Scripted- a mixed bag - when done well I feel these are the best e.g. when tigers could fly and Battle of britain but you will have to find one that appeals to your preferred planes and theatre of operations.

again these are only my personal opinion- I have flown and enjoyed all of the above but have had most fun with scripted missions

oh and I havnt tried pacific theatre as this does not interest me- for reviews on some of the commercial add ons see here

http://www.airwarfare.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=26&sid...aa5fd68741da70f4ff2d (http://www.airwarfare.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=26&sid=d9b712d86b00aa5fd68741da70f 4ff2d)

hope this helps

Skycat_2
12-27-2005, 01:11 AM
The stock campaigns ("DGen" campaigns) are simply one method of offering pilot careers for various maps. On one hand it solves a complaint that people had from the original IL-2 Sturmovik where the missions were all scripted and had limited replay value. On the other hand, DGen randomizes various conditions like mission type, enemy opponents, weather and target so it has to be more 'general' than specific to make the ranomized elements mesh -- this tends to cause bland, repetitive and uninspired missions.

DGen is fine if you simply want to fire up the game, receive a briefing and fly a combat mission with guaranteed enemy contact. The 'dynamic' nature of DGen is reflected by destroyed buildings staying destroyed and bridges being unusable for a certain number of missions to simulate their repair. Also, units can be reduced in strength -- have you ever shot down a famous ace? Perhaps front lines are affected by your actions (I'm not sure) but ultimately campaigns follow historic progress so you can't 'win' a campaign that your army lost in true history.

DGen isn't a perfect campaign generator but it gives you missions to fly and it doesn't cost you any money to use. Some campaigns are better than others in my opinion. DCG is a free replacement that also randomly generates missions; Paul Lowengrin has put a lot of work into it and it offers a slightly different ambiance to campaigns, mostly (in my experience) by generating air traffic that is unrelated to the mission you are flying. Once you get DCG running and know how to generate subsequent missions then it actually isn't very much different than DGen in that it uses the same setup menus, briefing maps and roster windows that DGen does.

I suggest that before you go spend a lot of money on addons you try out some custom campaigns from sites like Netwings; they are free and they won't interfere with DGen (or DCG). Also, some of the addon products have demo versions available at their websites -- I've played demos of "Operation Barbarossa," "Rebirth of Honor" and I think "Fall Blau." These were 'scripted' campaigns.