PDA

View Full Version : Sound in Battle of Britain

XyZspineZyX
11-25-2003, 11:10 PM
Dear Oleg and development team,

Your tantalizing preview pics of the Hurricane and other planes suggest that B.O.B. will be the most advanced, state-of-the-art flight sim ever released for public enjoyment. And no doubt, it will be the funnest, most immersive experience for all of us virtual pilots!

I respectfully ask that you enhance (or completely redesign) the sound engine in B.O.B. as much as you have the graphics models. Sound effects are every bit as important to the gaming experience as visual effects.

The sound in Il2/FB has been problematic, with an inconsistent quality and effect among users (which really isn't seen with other lesser games).

Also, many of the planes and guns have similar sounds, which at times aren't very convincing of the real thing. Perhaps this is due to the use of the advanced "tone" system rather than sound files (e.g. wav).

Regardless of what sound engine is used in B.O.B., I truly hope it will be far more advanced than what is currently used in FB. Furthermore, I hope your team will use real sound sampling to capture authentic engine and gun sounds.

BpK

XyZspineZyX
11-25-2003, 11:10 PM
Dear Oleg and development team,

Your tantalizing preview pics of the Hurricane and other planes suggest that B.O.B. will be the most advanced, state-of-the-art flight sim ever released for public enjoyment. And no doubt, it will be the funnest, most immersive experience for all of us virtual pilots!

I respectfully ask that you enhance (or completely redesign) the sound engine in B.O.B. as much as you have the graphics models. Sound effects are every bit as important to the gaming experience as visual effects.

The sound in Il2/FB has been problematic, with an inconsistent quality and effect among users (which really isn't seen with other lesser games).

Also, many of the planes and guns have similar sounds, which at times aren't very convincing of the real thing. Perhaps this is due to the use of the advanced "tone" system rather than sound files (e.g. wav).

Regardless of what sound engine is used in B.O.B., I truly hope it will be far more advanced than what is currently used in FB. Furthermore, I hope your team will use real sound sampling to capture authentic engine and gun sounds.

BpK

XyZspineZyX
11-26-2003, 12:12 PM
Yes the Merlin MUST sound like a MERLIN,as with with the D-Benz engine,many thanks.

XyZspineZyX
11-26-2003, 12:23 PM
Bump! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

S!

M0NS

----------------------------------------

This Room Is Equipped With

EDISON ELECTRIC LIGHT.

Do not attempt to light with match.
Simply turn key on wall by the door.

XyZspineZyX
11-26-2003, 12:47 PM
The 3D sound engine of Fb is the most advanced sound engine in the game history in terms of modelling real physics (but not only virtual effects). Or you may show me the doppeler effect of engine, supercharger and propeller simulatniously sounding and changine pitch as it should in any other game? Or you may show me the game that simulater the sounding engine+prop when you look around the plane with the proper changes, but not constant sound? Etc... Its hard to tell the list of novations that uses our 3D sound engine.

Using real sound waves like Merlin wave (that really incorrecly recorded and you may some time check it in real life and then with the wave posted somewhere that to be sure that I tell you thuth) is impossible. Really I would say possible in such engines that uses just single waves that to present sound, but that do not simulate the changes in 3D surraunding envirounment, like it is in FB.
In Fb we use the syntezis of engine sound and we only try to make it close to the sound that we recoreded ourselves with binaural equipment (that simulate human head) for some aircraft. With the limit of current syntezis we can use up to 11 sound files that will mix in a different way that to get the sound of piston engine aircraft. That is too small amount that to syntez the very close to real sound of given engine. However our sound engineer now is working over such thing as increasing features of sound syntezis for the piston engine aircraft that to get more closer to real variations of sounding engines.
Another one problem - utilizing of the memory for the great amount of sound files. I don't think that you will like to have very slow working sim just due to very corect sound that will eat a lot of resources and will simulate real 3D envirounment simultaniously.

Anyway, I hope that we will get it in future.
But remember. The things that we got on a home PC with the simulation of aircraft sound never was done before us.
Just compare other sims for just listed in the beginning of my answer effects. I'm sure that you can't find any of such sim that model these things.

bpk1970 wrote:
- Dear Oleg and development team,
-
- Your tantalizing preview pics of the Hurricane and
- other planes suggest that B.O.B. will be the most
- advanced, state-of-the-art flight sim ever released
- for public enjoyment. And no doubt, it will be the
- funnest, most immersive experience for all of us
- virtual pilots!
-
- I respectfully ask that you enhance (or completely
- redesign) the sound engine in B.O.B. as much as you
- have the graphics models. Sound effects are every
- bit as important to the gaming experience as visual
- effects.
-
- The sound in Il2/FB has been problematic, with an
- inconsistent quality and effect among users (which
- really isn't seen with other lesser games).
-
- Also, many of the planes and guns have similar
- sounds, which at times aren't very convincing of the
- real thing. Perhaps this is due to the use of the
- advanced "tone" system rather than sound files (e.g.
- wav).
-
- Regardless of what sound engine is used in B.O.B., I
- truly hope it will be far more advanced than what is
- currently used in FB. Furthermore, I hope your team
- will use real sound sampling to capture authentic
- engine and gun sounds.
-
-
- BpK
-
-

Oleg Maddox
1C:Maddox Games

XyZspineZyX
11-26-2003, 01:06 PM
Sound is fine to mee excpet that I hear planes in my six aclock.

What I hope most from BoB is that it will still be playable with my computerhttp://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

And that is
-Intel2,4GHz P4
-1024GB of ram

XyZspineZyX
11-26-2003, 01:31 PM
This already corrected and will be released during several days from now

As for playbale BoB. Sure you will need upgrade PC if you don't run with good FPS FB in perfect mode of graphics.

LeLv28_Masi wrote:
- Sound is fine to mee excpet that I hear planes in my
- six aclock.
-
- What I hope most from BoB is that it will still be
- playable with my computer/i/smilies/16x16_robot-happy.gif
-
- And that is
--Intel2,4GHz P4
--1024GB of ram
-
-
-
-

Oleg Maddox
1C:Maddox Games

XyZspineZyX
11-26-2003, 01:48 PM
Oh, my computer has aged anyway within tow years, so I quess it is all the same to start saving money for new one,
This WW2 hobby is expensive onehttp://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

PS: Good to hear that "Linda Blair" sound has been fixed.

-Masi-

XyZspineZyX
11-26-2003, 03:46 PM
Well that's good to hear Oleg! I'm glad I'm not the only one imagining planes on my six o'clock (I swear I can hear them on my six) /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
11-26-2003, 08:06 PM
Thank you Mr. Maddox for your response.

I didn't realize how FB's sound engine incorporated Doppler effects, physics, and multiple complex tones. But I do appreciate the realistic change in sound as planes zoom away into the distance, and have always been impressed by the complexity of the in-cockpit sound experience (especially Bf109).

I'm sure B.O.B. will be a smashing hit. We're all looking forward to enjoying the best from you and your team!

Thanks,

BpK

XyZspineZyX
11-26-2003, 09:20 PM
LeLv28_Masi :
"Sound is fine to mee excpet that I hear planes in my six aclock."

Oleg_Maddox :
"This already corrected and will be released during several days from now"

Wow.... sonar sound was fix ?
if YES.... Oh man.. Oleg &Team THANKS SO MUCH ... S! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

after now... some pilot if not care his 6 o'clock ha ha ha... he will get kill with know nothing what's hit him. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

TIME FOR CHECK YOUR SIX NOW....

by the way Mr. Oleg , your game make (not only) me back to study history alot , and I know miss alot of good thing in history ....

S!

XyZspineZyX
11-26-2003, 11:06 PM
Sonar gone = me happy! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

S!

M0NS

EDISON ELECTRIC LIGHT.

XyZspineZyX
11-27-2003, 02:23 AM
sound engine is great in external view,for sure.

but in cockpit i really think that if all external sounds are removed we'll have

1/better frame rate (flying close to impact of 12 B17s bomb loadout exploding KILLS the frame rate for now)

2/more realism

since many fly this sim in cokpit,i think it should be taken into account.

about the binaural head,i think it took the 109 sound quite convincingly,but it was sick the day it recorded the merlin engine /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

anyway if SONAR is removed i'll be happy /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
11-27-2003, 10:30 AM
I have heard the true sound of the Merlin engine in Forgotten Battles Oleg

By sitting and waiting patiently in an aircraft on the runway I have heard the real sound that we hear at airshows

We notice that phasing is a very big part of the real Merlin sound experience and when some Hurricanes are flying around nearby the sound will sound as we like to hear it http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I would modify the Merlin engine sound by adding a few milliseconds delay to the original samples and re-record the engine sound to force phasing - even though this might seem to be cheating a little bit http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

We are very familiar with the Merlin engine sound as perceived from the ground, with forced phasing because the aircraft's engine sound is bouncing around the ground and ground objects and causing interference, peaks and dips in the frequency response, phasing - but of course up in the air the engine sounds completely different and this is why we hear the 'wrong' word. I'm sure that your Merlin sample is correct but there is more poetry-of-sound if you cheat a little I think http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'm not phased anyway, I can sit on the airfield and eat my sandwiches and listen to that glorious sound in the distance, but I want more of that wonderful phasing sound please and closer to the airfield. Preferably in the cockpit too even though I would be wearing earplugs in a real aircraft http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ming

XyZspineZyX
11-27-2003, 11:59 AM
Oleg_Maddox wrote:
- This already corrected and will be released during
- several days from now
-
- As for playbale BoB. Sure you will need upgrade PC
- if you don't run with good FPS FB in perfect mode of
- graphics.
-
-
- LeLv28_Masi wrote:
-- Sound is fine to mee excpet that I hear planes in my
-- six aclock.
--

This deserves a bump!

<hr width="400">Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and have their
shoes!
http://members.rogers.com/teemaz/sig.jpg (http://www.jagdgeschwader1.com)

XyZspineZyX
11-28-2003, 02:28 AM
Phasing?
Is this refering to the effect you get when multiple engines that are not running at exactly the same RPM, when the exhaust notes go in and out of harmony with each other so that you get that rapidly rising and falling drone?

I love that effect and ride my old Triumph motorbike behind lorries so I can create it for myself,

The Lancasters used to carry a Triumph motorbike engine powered generator, will we get to hear that too?

Imagining myself flying to all the waypoints at normal speed so I dont miss any aural delights.

Nambo

XyZspineZyX
11-28-2003, 03:21 AM
most important !

"This already corrected and will be released
during several days from now"

"...SEVERAL DAYS FROM NOW"

stated 11-26-03 by the MAN himself.

XyZspineZyX
11-28-2003, 11:12 AM
The 3D sound engine of Fb is the most advanced sound engine in the game history in terms of modelling real physics (but not only virtual effects). Or you may show me the doppeler effect of engine, supercharger and propeller simulatniously sounding and changine pitch as it should in any other game? Or you may show me the game that simulater the sounding engine+prop when you look around the plane with the proper changes, but not constant sound? Etc... Its hard to tell the list of novations that uses our 3D sound engine.

Using real sound waves like Merlin wave (that really incorrecly recorded and you may some time check it in real life and then with the wave posted somewhere that to be sure that I tell you thuth) is impossible. Really I would say possible in such engines that uses just single waves that to present sound, but that do not simulate the changes in 3D surraunding envirounment, like it is in FB.
In Fb we use the syntezis of engine sound and we only try to make it close to the sound that we recoreded ourselves with binaural equipment (that simulate human head) for some aircraft. With the limit of current syntezis we can use up to 11 sound files that will mix in a different way that to get the sound of piston engine aircraft. That is too small amount that to syntez the very close to real sound of given engine. However our sound engineer now is working over such thing as increasing features of sound syntezis for the piston engine aircraft that to get more closer to real variations of sounding engines.
Another one problem - utilizing of the memory for the great amount of sound files. I don't think that you will like to have very slow working sim just due to very corect sound that will eat a lot of resources and will simulate real 3D envirounment simultaniously.

Anyway, I hope that we will get it in future.
But remember. The things that we got on a home PC with the simulation of aircraft sound never was done before us.
Just compare other sims for just listed in the beginning of my answer effects. I'm sure that you can't find any of such sim that model these things.

Most advanced sound system that sounds the worst out of any sim i have to admit oleg, please redesign a simplicitic sound engine that can use real dat recordings, sound really adds to a game. I think you can tell the majority of the people think the sound is really bad in this sim and even in the videos they dub in real engine sounds. Being the most advanced dont mean it sounds the best. I hope you consider a new sound engine and weather effects

<center>http://www.geocities.com/leadspittersig/LS1.txt
Good dogfighters bring ammo home, Great ones don't. (c) Leadspitter
<a HREF="http://www.il2skins.com/?action=list&authoridfilter=:Leadspitter:&comefrom=top5&ts=1068087655"> LeadSpitters Skins
</center>

XyZspineZyX
11-28-2003, 11:17 AM
Phaser? - look here:

http://www.jimdunlop.com/site/products/electronics/mxr/products/m107.html

S!

M0NS

EDISON ELECTRIC LIGHT.