PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Trials: Feinting

Aeglos00
08-26-2018, 05:54 PM
Block 6 attacks. Sounds simple enough? Put in a good two hours into this task last night and another hour now. I can block the 6 attacks but on the 6th block without fail the opponent kills me instantly after I complete the 6th successful block. The task registers as a failure. Why is this? I know I am making the 6th block because I see a visual animation (sparks, etc), I can see the guard indicator is lit and in the correct position and I can clearly hear the correct audio cue. So what is happening? I have not been able to see if the task tracker in the top right corner of the screen registers a hit because it simply vanishes. The only thing different from other failed attempts is my body has a blue flashing aura for a split second around it - this doesn't happen in other failures. Not sure if this is significant?

If I cannot complete the tutorial is it worth me investing more time into the game? is it simply my reaction speeds are too dull? is my internet connection too slow (I have virgin vivid 200)? are the animations dsync'd to such an exent that I can't read the intentions of the AI? Is the AI cheating by speeding up or slowing down the attacks/feints so it always wins after the 6th block?

I have noticed that the AI's attacks are not all proceeded by a feint. This is kinda wierd because the task is to practice blocking after feints. If I switch my guard away from the impending strike the AI will always register a hit on me. So it is able to essentially "convert a feint" into a guaranteed hit. I guess because it has to read my inputs rather than observe my behaviour. So it never makes a mistake. I can delibrately lose an enounter without the AI feinting even a single attack by quickly switching my guard away from incoming attack at the last split second. I find this frustrating because you would expect some of those attacks to be feints and you would block 50% of these by switching your guard to one of the other two positions as the feint is proceeded by the real attack.

So is there any skill attached to competing against AI or is it just a very complicated game of "whack-a-mole" in which you always win if you can "twitch" the right result in the given window of time where the computer always you to "win"?

The_B0G_
08-26-2018, 07:16 PM
Are you playing on PC or console?

Aeglos00
08-26-2018, 08:20 PM
PC.

I managed to complete it by repeatedly standing idle on the 6th block attempt, eventually the AI launched an attack that was where I had left my guard. I noticed when I was getting frustrated with the game and just walked away from the keyboard that the AI would often attack in the direction I had left the guard when I afk'd. So even if I was NOT actively inputting commands I would often get a couple of blocks before dying. The rest of the challenge was pretty damn easy, completed it on first try including the extra tasks.

However I still don't know if I am too slow to play the game or my computer is not good enough to sync the animations or my internet is too slow. At least now I feel confident enough to play the storymode on the easiest setting to see if I can complete it.

Edited to add:

The blue flash I saw is part of the mission completion animation. Secondly, you need to hit the E key really quickly when you see that blue flash to acknowledge the completion or you will fail!

EvoX.
08-26-2018, 08:42 PM
What a weird occurrence. I would very much like to see a video of this.