PDA

View Full Version : What a 100 hours player thinks about this game

SeleucusIII
08-23-2018, 02:57 PM
So I'm a 100 hours player of for honor. I'm not a good one, actually I'm very noob. I'd like to give you my opinion of the game since I've read lots of negative post and reviews from far more experienced players then I am. It's not an expert opinion as you probably have already guessed ,but a man once told me: not all good opinions came from those who knows more.

For Honor is, in general, a good game. It has lots of negative aspects for sure, but considering how video games are made these days I can pretty surely label it as a good game.
The Graphic, the sounds, the visual effects are good, not too refined but overall quite good. Servers seem to be ok but I've heard people suffered from lag from time to time.
For Honor has lots of Heroes, every one of them has his own offensive and defensive kit that really makes each one of them pretty unique. Some of them are better for combos and some for counter-attacking. others prefer spamming and other ones prefer using single but strong attack. The customization feels really good, lots of symbols, colors, patterns, armors , weapons etc. The fight itself is a mix of feint, dodges ,quick attacks , slow attacks, combos , guardbreaks and unblockables. Overhall the game has its own potential and it express it throw a vast gamma of possibilieties and variations. It really feels very good ... somethimes.

I've written sometimes because not all shining thinks are made of gold (as my gramma always used to say.. ). Heroes are not balanced. some of them are really strong and viable (kensei, centurion , shaman etc) some others are too readable or their kit is too limited to be considered decent (raider, shogi , peacekeeper etc.).
The game modes are very limited: dominium, duels sometimes brawl and competitive?(can't really say about that one). The game is a duel game and yet Gangs are a very important part of the game. Devs haven't really solved the problem , instead they've create a mechanic called "revenge" which is what I call a sloppy fix. Revenge is necessary but it really feels like a "legal" cheat. The community in the game is not that bad (I've seen much worst) . There is the occasionally salt player and the occasionally "add me as friend player". Usually players of my level don't talk much but maybe in higher ranks are more talkative. Nevertheless I feel the community is growing in a good way.

So what do you think? am I too young to judge this game or maybe you share some of my opinions?

SpaceJim12
08-23-2018, 03:23 PM
As almost 700 hours player, I could say, that you are right. Game is good. From visual side I can even say great.
But this "negative aspects" you metioned are really makes you more and more frustrating. And after one more laggy and broken match in Dominion, one more duel with obvious cheater, one more limited emote in the event for huge amount of in-game currency you just said "It's enough". And quit.
This little "negative aspects" is something that kills For Honor. It's remove all the fun and make every hour in the game disgusting.

Lord_Cherubi
08-23-2018, 05:05 PM
Imo gankers just need to learn how tge revenge system works. You cant just go in balls deep against one lone wolf, feeding him revenge and get butthurt when he pops the shield and beat you down.

I think it's a great mechanic but i also think you should NEVER be able to gain it in a pure 1v1, that just doesnt make any sense.

bannex19
08-23-2018, 05:49 PM
I love the combat system, it's absolutely brilliant. I think the graphics and at its core the gameplay is great. In all reality the shop offers and limited emotes don't bother me because there is so much other cool stuff to obtain and steel generation isn't horrible.

As far as my absolute negatives I'd say that a few heroes rely on some low risk high reward gimmicks that make them feel unbalanced.

I've been on these forums for awhile and I've seen "xyz is broken OP omgwtf ubi i hate you!!!" So many times regarding virtually every character in every season. Im really not sure who is and who isn't anymore.

I really enjoy this game, yes the devs make some confusing decisions but for the most part its a very well done experience and im not going to pretend i could've done better.

bannex19
08-23-2018, 05:53 PM
Imo gankers just need to learn how tge revenge system works. You cant just go in balls deep against one lone wolf, feeding him revenge and get butthurt when he pops the shield and beat you down.

I think it's a great mechanic but i also think you should NEVER be able to gain it in a pure 1v1, that just doesnt make any sense.

Revenge needs to go back to the drawing board imo. It shouldn't allow you to obliterate in a 1v4 situation. I think it should be massive, strictly defensive buffs ie. Rocksteady + bonus hp + unguardbreakable + no stam drain on double roll. It should be used to get you the f out of there not go super saiyan on a whole team.

DefiledDragon
08-23-2018, 06:43 PM
Revenge needs to go back to the drawing board imo. It shouldn't allow you to obliterate in a 1v4 situation. I think it should be massive, strictly defensive buffs ie. Rocksteady + bonus hp + unguardbreakable + no stam drain on double roll. It should be used to get you the f out of there not go super saiyan on a whole team.

Revenge is only useful in a 1 v 2 or more situation if you're already a decent player and you stay in control of your aggression when you initiate revenge. The vast majority of people don't. The 2 scenarios I seem to see regularly are these.

First and by far the most common one is when the player being ganked pops revenge and immediately start spamming their hardest hitting combo at the nearest target while the rest of the players in the gank freely wail on them until they drop which usually takes about 5 - 10 seconds.

Second but much less common one is when the player being ganked pops revenge, keeps his aggression in check but the gankers all suddenly forget how to play and just keep wailing on him while he blocks/parries filling up his revenge meter again, giving him pretty much infinite revenge.

Dealing with players in revenge state isn't really any more difficult than dealing with players in non revenge state. Just remember how to fight. Most people under revenge throw heavies, so just parry them until revenge wears off, or until they die because your teammates are wailing on them in the openings you create with your parries.

It's really not that difficult to deal with, just keep your head on straight when somebody pops it.

As for my thoughts on the game itself, after 166 hours I still really like the game and it's still the most played multiplayer game in my library and it's still a lot of fun. It has far too much cheese to be taken seriously as s 1 v 1 fighter, but for a casual 4 v 4 or 2 v 2 it's pretty decent. Could use a few more maps maybe, better servers definitely, faster matchmaking or just put players in with bots much earlier so real players can just replace them during the game or whatever but overall I would say it's decent.

Grind levels for cosmetics/emotes/executions are free to play levels and the cash value of steel is beyond disgusting but I haven't spent a penny on steel yet and I never will, so that's the players choice really. Condone it by buying steel, or condemn it by keeping your debit card in your wallet/purse.

bannex19
08-23-2018, 06:53 PM
I mean you're not wrong about revenge but I've seen plenty of raiders unlock aoe spam their way to victory lol.

Again I don't claim to think I could design a better for honor. I think all my suggestions come from a crap player that frequently falls into the noobie pitfalls ;)

CRIMS0NM0NKEY
08-23-2018, 09:03 PM
I've been here since the beginning. When the game was first demonstrated I know I had to have it. I Love the game mechanics... Utterly brilliant. What I would add is a cycle button though. Players get more toxic the better you are at beating them. The graphics are good but a bit cartoony for my taste. Ubi made a major mistake with ptp connection but they have redeemed themselves. The rework schedule is based on popularity not balance. The problem of spam vs meta is a tough one. If regular dominion becomes more like inferno I think that would be a good step to a better game. All and all I still love this game even with the massive obvious flaws that don't get fixed for many many months.

...And no matter how hard I try to deny it I'm completely addicted to ledgeing people.

DefiledDragon
08-23-2018, 09:31 PM
I've been here since the beginning. When the game was first demonstrated I know I had to have it. I Love the game mechanics... Utterly brilliant. What I would add is a cycle button though. Players get more toxic the better you are at beating them. The graphics are good but a bit cartoony for my taste. Ubi made a major mistake with ptp connection but they have redeemed themselves. The rework schedule is based on popularity not balance. The problem of spam vs meta is a tough one. If regular dominion becomes more like inferno I think that would be a good step to a better game. All and all I still love this game even with the massive obvious flaws that don't get fixed for many many months.

...And no matter how hard I try to deny it I'm completely addicted to ledgeing people.

Ledge kills are pure cheese but they are so funny. They even had ledge kills in LOTR, when Aragorn and Theoden are riding out of helms deep. Check all these ledge kills. So much Uruk salt was mined on this day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzvAAAHVFBI&t=1m55s