PDA

View Full Version : the definition of "balanced"

hubstacker
08-19-2018, 07:06 AM
Now, don't paint me wrong. I love for honor. not just the game, but I love the constant support the game has received throughout it's lifetime. I love the acknowledgement that the game creators have about the game's flaws. I love the fact that after about a year or two, we still receive updates with FREE content such as maps and game modes that most games would lock behind some sort of paywall. but most importantly, I love the fact that for honor developers treat their fan base as people, and not just a dollar sign. IMO, with all the controversy that has surrounded games involved with big brands like EA and Ubisoft, I think for honor has taken Many small steps in the wright direction. It shows me that they are wiling to at least keep their player base interested with new and interesting content. But there is one glaring fact that I think no one can ignore. For honor Devs have no Idea how to make a balanced character (at least during launch). Now, if you are the type of person to object to this statement, let me give you some reference as to where I am coming from. Point A) every new character that is introduced into the series has some sort of broken mechanic that has never been introduced into the for honor scene. you could take centurion's infinite WS glitch, or shaman's insane tracking on her unlocked top heavy, But I digress. more over, once these character's have "lost their luster" (aka, counters have been found out by the for honor community), the Devs seem to patch their over glaring problems with somewhat sensible solutions (such as a nerf to gladiator's stamina pool/ stamina cost for his moves). Now, I'll say this again, I don't think that the for honor devs are making a bad game at all, I just wish that before that introduced a new character into the for honor line up, they would put a little more thought into the design and the game play mechanics so that people like me would not get overly salty, when some ball-busting mechanics is introduced (like tiandi's infinite dance-doge no-justu). then again, I am writing this at like 2 in the morning after a few shots of vodka, to take this how you will.

sincerely,
husbtacker...

p.s. I hope this game never dies.

DefiledDragon
08-19-2018, 04:01 PM
Ubisoft are one of my favourite publishers. They are one of the few publishers around today that actually try to make their games better than the last one and they do new and unusual things (like For Honor, for example). However, I also believe they lack experience in this particular genre and they're not really sure how to make the characters different without making them too out there (like Shaman) or boring and spammy (Cent, Conq). They should bring somebody in from Capcom/Team Ninja/Namco to assist with character design and balance issues imo.

beerbariandh
08-19-2018, 04:33 PM
Ubisoft are one of my favourite publishers. They are one of the few publishers around today that actually try to make their games better than the last one and they do new and unusual things (like For Honor, for example). However, I also believe they lack experience in this particular genre and they're not really sure how to make the characters different without making them too out there (like Shaman) or boring and spammy (Cent, Conq). They should bring somebody in from Capcom/Team Ninja/Namco to assist with character design and balance issues imo.

I like you Dragon. unlike myself where I get enraged at the aspects of this game and take to the forum sometimes when I shouldn't, your responses are professional but you can clearly read the frustration behind them at the same time. I have always played Ubi games and as I believe they messed up Division to the point that its dead now, im hoping they don't do it here. And bringing in someone like you said would save this game in one update. Good stuff

UrielManX7
08-19-2018, 06:26 PM

A chain is as strong as its weakest link tho.
Myself, haven't bought an ubisoft before, and I'm sure as hell I won't do it again. I'll just wait 2 years after they release a game, and it does so badly they have to give it for free to get ppl to play it.

DefiledDragon
08-19-2018, 06:30 PM
I like you Dragon. unlike myself where I get enraged at the aspects of this game and take to the forum sometimes when I shouldn't, your responses are professional but you can clearly read the frustration behind them at the same time. I have always played Ubi games and as I believe they messed up Division to the point that its dead now, im hoping they don't do it here. And bringing in someone like you said would save this game in one update. Good stuff

Thanks. I do get rage when I'm playing and I fall for cheese, don't get me wrong, but I know it's not easy to design an interesting and varied roster and maintain balance. Fighting games have struggled with this concept for years, but there are designers out there with vast experience in doing just that and it wouldn't hurt for Ubisoft to call on them for assistance. I love this game, I really do and I know it could be absolutely awesome in the right hands.

DefiledDragon
08-19-2018, 06:33 PM
A chain is as strong as its weakest link tho.
Myself, haven't bought an ubisoft before, and I'm sure as hell I won't do it again. I'll just wait 2 years after they release a game, and it does so badly they have to give it for free to get ppl to play it.

I get your frustration, but Ubi are pretty decent overall imo. The Division was an interesting idea and it kept me playing for a good while. Not been back to it for a long time though, got tired of being ganked in DZ. Ghost Recon Wildlands was again another decent game that I put a fair few hours into. The Far Cry series has by far been my favourite from Ubi though and I've sunk 100's of hours into all of them. I never really liked Assassins Creed overly much, nor have I engaged with R6, but overall I would say they get a lot of flak that they don't deserve. They certainly don't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Electronic Arts, unless that sentence is "Ubisoft don't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Electronic Arts".

The_B0G_
08-19-2018, 06:58 PM
My definition of balance is, when no matter what characters are picked on the other team, I think to myself "Ughhh, f***."

When I get that feeling no matter who is picked, the game will be balanced. For me anyway lol