PDA

View Full Version : low caliber machinegun damage

XyZspineZyX
09-12-2003, 07:27 PM
When I fly the Hurrcane MkIIb or the B239, I can hit other planes a lot, but still not destroy them. I only managed to destroy a blennheim after I used all the ammo of my hurricane. Do others have this problem as well? If these planes can't do any serious damage, what's the use of them then.

XyZspineZyX
09-12-2003, 07:27 PM
When I fly the Hurrcane MkIIb or the B239, I can hit other planes a lot, but still not destroy them. I only managed to destroy a blennheim after I used all the ammo of my hurricane. Do others have this problem as well? If these planes can't do any serious damage, what's the use of them then.

XyZspineZyX
09-12-2003, 07:39 PM
theres some maj problem aparently 10 .303s dont do much damage in olegs world

6 or 8 .50 incediary or explosive rounds work like a pistol

20mm are useless

Im not sure whats on the p11 but they are a joke as well and takes just about all your ammo to get a pilot kill on another p11

but the vvs small cal can exlode just about anything into a million pieces at very far range.

Hopefully in patch FB1.due we will get some justification, but its not likely seeing the past and present day screwups

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4jz7i/ls.gif

Good dogfighters bring ammo home, Great ones don't. (c) Leadspitter

XyZspineZyX
09-12-2003, 08:01 PM
In the P-47 with it's 8 x .50 cals I was able to rip off a lot of stuka wings. Still no luck with hurricane and B-239.

I also have 2 other questions.

Why won't the flak hit anything at altitudes of 3 km? I flew a campaign once, but I was never hit by flak. I thought the flak did shoot down quite a lot of planes in WW2?

When you're aircraft is damaged and you see bulletholes in your cockpit window everywhere, why didn't I get wounded or killed if the bulletholes are so very close to the pilots body? This happened multiple times, but I rarely got hit.

XyZspineZyX
09-12-2003, 09:17 PM
Good, I thought I was the only one experiencing this. Unfortunately you need to have proof that what you say is unrealistic, otherwise you don't have much chances in changing anything... /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Stef

XyZspineZyX
09-12-2003, 09:58 PM
Hard to say where the DM of .30 caliber is concerned. I'm just reading now how in the Battle Of Britain certain squadrons started to adopt head-on attacks against German bombers. Although it was nerve racking they were very pleased with the results because as they remarked: "...you could see the nose of the bomber 'crumple' under the fire of the machine guns.". And they were usually using 8 .30 cal machine guns.

They also managed to shoot down German bombers from other angles as well, of course. Even He-111s. Try taking down a 111 in FB with just .30 cal. Good luck.

XyZspineZyX
09-12-2003, 10:30 PM
well my ecperience told me:

P-11: those four guns are good for destroying ground AAA

MG 15/17: dumb - no effect - like shooting the enemy with styropor balls. (wonder how the Bf110C works with those)

ShKAS: Damn good gun against un- or low-armoured objects like the bf109E - easy jit => engine blow ...

Conclusion: The MG15/17 is undermodeleded. Otherwise guns work about accurate (exept for the MG151).

XyZspineZyX
09-12-2003, 10:35 PM
in my humble opinion the P-47 needs to beable to fire its guns more accurately - the plane shakes around WAY to much. The difficulty you have in actually hitting your target once you start shooting is a primary resson why people think the .50 sucks. The P-47 weighs 7 tons, it would NOT shake around this much.

As for the hurricane I also agree that its 8 guns are a little 2 weak. Everything I have read about 8 .303 indicates that they were stronger than depicted here. The .303 was by no means powerful compared to other weapons, but in a hurri you are shooting over 90 rounds a second. a long burst of fire at convergance should be enough to cause structural failure to planes like the 109.

XyZspineZyX
09-13-2003, 02:31 AM
What I hate is when u damage planes enough for them to lose fuel, control lines, or what have u, damage enough to crash, but u get no credit(online). This has happened to me in P40 and especially 6 MG's on P39-N1; it seems like if u don't hit it with cannon, computer doesn't respect it.

"Remember, that's war. We're all in one boat. He who thinks only of himself will destroy himself too. Such selfishness will not be tolerated!"

Kambei Shimada, Seven Samurai

http://www.filmsondisc.com/images/7samurai4.jpg

XyZspineZyX
09-13-2003, 01:28 PM
Remember that a .303 is only a 7.7mm gun. you have to be right up close in the hurricane to kill anything. in the hurri you would have to be close enough to smell the exhaust fumes from your target to kill him. get in close! The .303 browning was a good weapon up close but was terrible at 100m+. I remember reading that from 70m a 2-3 second burst should kill a fighter.

I find i have a much worse problem with Bf-109E/F models. when I run out of cannon ammunition i can never kill anything with just the MG's.

XyZspineZyX
09-13-2003, 01:36 PM
Many planes that were fitted with MG's only were soon needing to be upgraded to accept Cannons...(The Hurricane to name one) Better armour etc, etc meant that MG's were pretty much redundant by mid-way through the war.
Maybe FB is accurate in this respect after all...

S! Simon.
<center>

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Download the USAAF campaign folder here (http://www.downloadcounter.com/cgi-bin/download.pl?username=James_Jones&account=705).

http://extremeone.4t.com/images/USsig.jpg
<font color="#000000">It's my attitude not my aptitude that determines my altitude.</font></center>

XyZspineZyX
09-13-2003, 01:40 PM
Unless you're really near, bringing down a sturdy plane with an I-16 t.18 spends all your ammo.

Low-caliber MGs had a feeble punch by 1941. That's why they began to put cannons in all aircraft.

- Dux Corvan -

http://www.theinformationminister.com/press.php?ID=612322300

</span></blockquote></font></td></tr>