PDA

View Full Version : Should the animus be nixed?

Tyrannohotep
08-16-2018, 07:23 PM
I will admit right off the bat that I'm not the most loyal AC fan. My experience with the games is limited to the very first one and Origins, and I've yet to complete either of these. But going off what I have played so far, I can't see any practical reason for the whole animus subplot that has recurred throughout the series. The scenes where you cut away to some modern-day person playing around in this sci-fi VR-type thingamabob always feel obtrusive in a game that's supposed to be an action-packed historical adventure about assassins and similar warriors. As far as I can tell, the only reason this subplot ever came into being is because the main conflict in the first game was supposed to have somehow been carried all the way over into modern times. In which case, why not simply mention that in an epilogue cinematic after you complete the game, without all these useless scenes about the animus cutting into the main storyline?

In my humble opinion, the entire theme of the animus should be cut out of the franchise altogether. You can have an overarching storyline about this ancient order of assassins that has lasted through the ages without the pointless animus scenes interrupting the story. They add nothing to the game. I recently saw a Youtube video where some guy was complaining about the theme of choice in the upcoming AC: Odyssey game, because he thought it contradicted the main point of the animus (namely that it only replayed "genetic memories" encoded in the subject's genome and therefore didn't give them any actual choice over how their ancestors' life played out). If that is the case, the animus might even be getting in the way of the series's evolution. In the end, these games are about assassins in history, not science fiction or "genetic memories".

Or is the entire animus thing somehow too central to the game in a way that I don't appreciate?

Locopells
08-17-2018, 05:18 PM
Oh boy.

OK, short version - some of the games, in particular the later ones, where the modern day plots have been more sidelined, could manage without the Animus. But to understand the Animus's importance, you really need to play AC II/B/R & III - they can't completely standalone, without their MD plots.