PDA

View Full Version : Diagrams or photos of rear compartment (radio operator) of Pe-2: anyone have any?

mandrill7
06-14-2006, 05:35 AM
O/T. I'm making a 1/72 Pe-2 model and even with resin and photoetch after-market products, the detail at the rear of the w/o's compartment and for the ventral UBT mg mounting is almost entirely absent. Ditto almost no photo or diagramatic representations of those areas. Even more problematic, there seemed to be changes to the layout as the War went on and development of the type continued.

Does anyone perchance have or have access to any visual material???

TIA.

mandrill7
06-14-2006, 05:35 AM
O/T. I'm making a 1/72 Pe-2 model and even with resin and photoetch after-market products, the detail at the rear of the w/o's compartment and for the ventral UBT mg mounting is almost entirely absent. Ditto almost no photo or diagramatic representations of those areas. Even more problematic, there seemed to be changes to the layout as the War went on and development of the type continued.

Does anyone perchance have or have access to any visual material???

TIA.

joeap
06-14-2006, 05:52 AM
no, but there was a long onld thread with diagrams for the Pe-2 from 2 years ago or something that also showed the location of the bombsight you asked for IIRC.

BTW I just found out the Avengers had bombsights operated by the radioman.

leitmotiv
06-14-2006, 06:35 AM
Maybe this may have what you need:

http://tinyurl.com/gv7ud

By the way, the two new ICM 1:72 scale SB 2M-100 series models are fabulous---their interior detail is very close to 1:48 scale levels. Which 1:72 Pe are you using? Is it any good?

PBNA-Boosher
06-14-2006, 08:25 AM
I've got interior shots of a Tu-2, but that won't help you.

mandrill7
06-14-2006, 02:47 PM
Okay...

If I wait to December and pay 45 Euros, I might get the diagrams I need. Maybe. Perhaps. If they're in the book.

Re the bombsight, I always try and figure out where the alleged bombsight on the Pe-2 is. The one in the pilot's station is just a gunsight/ dive bombing sight and the navigator/ gunner only has a side or back view.

Wonder if it's possible that the Pe-2's W/O operated the bombsight. Lots of room back there, but I don't think any forward facing window.

Jagdgeschwader2
06-14-2006, 02:57 PM
Aviapress is in Russia and offers rare kits,parts and books. It takes a while for shipping but they have never failed me. They also have the awesome Moskit metal exhaust pipes.

Several books on the Pe-2
http://www.aviapress.com/search.htm?keywords=PE-2&boole...here=all&in_text=yes (http://www.aviapress.com/search.htm?keywords=PE-2&boolean=all&where=all&in_text=yes)

http://home.earthlink.net/~jagdgeschwader26/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/jagdgeschwader2s.jpg

mandrill7
06-14-2006, 08:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jagdgeschwader2:
Aviapress is in Russia and offers rare kits,parts and books. It takes a while for shipping but they have never failed me. They also have the awesome Moskit metal exhaust pipes.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably too mean and lazy to buy books and mags sight unseen in the hope that the exact thing I'm looking for will be inside. I've got the Squadron Pe-2 book which is great on development history and outside views, but sparse on interior.

We seem to have the same tastes. I just picked up the 1/72 Moskit Yak-9 pipes from Jadar in Poland. Their postage rates seem a little tamer than Aviapress. But I'm going to have to hit Aviapress in the next few days to snap up a couple of 1/72 Dako/Modelist Yak-9's which are floating around there.

The other good site for VVS kits is NKR hobbies in Australia.

mandrill7
06-14-2006, 08:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leitmotiv:
Maybe this may have what you need:

http://tinyurl.com/gv7ud

Which 1:72 Pe are you using? Is it any good? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got the Italeri-Zvezda 1/72. Raised panel lines is the major problem. It's supposed to be accurate shape-wise, but I haven't laid it out beside a set of plans. I've spend most of the time working on the interior. I sanded the molding plugs flush and generally thinned out the plastic. I'm using the Neomega cockpit set which is amazing, but skimps off as you move into the rear compartment. Maybe they couldn't find much research material either. I started constructing internal framework for the rear interior, but am going to hold off doing much else until I find some guides.

Fit isn't bad; one of the wing roots needs a bit of filing, as it looks too thick to fit properly against the fuselage. Oh, and the wheel wells are a cruel joke. I almost decided to go wheels-up.

UM is supposed to bring out a brand-new tooling of the Pe-2 in the fall. So I'll probably kick myself for being so impatient and buying the Zvezda.