PDA

View Full Version : I am dumping ASUS. I have had it!!!

Choctaw111
02-08-2008, 09:36 PM
After a long battle getting my PC up and running again, I finally got a replacement MoBo from ASUS (they were not very quick in getting my new one to me after my other MoBo died) and THAT MoBo went belly up right after all the wires and components were hooked up to it!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif I have decided to go with an EVGA board and it should be at the "PC fix it shop" (where I had my rig custom built) on Tuesday. Maybe then I will finally have my PC back after not having it for OVER A MONTH!!!! I have been VERY disappointed with how slow ASUS was in handling my MoBo issue...and they didn't seem terribly concerned. Let it be known that this is the FOURTH ASUS MoBo I have gone through since I have had this machine...and it is LESS THAN A YEAR OLD!
Since I am such a performance "enthusiast" I will see if there is any performance difference and once again post the numbers for the Black Death and Kamikaze tracks using the EVGA MoBo. Man, I cannot wait to get my PC back. There are so many things I have on there that I have not been able to do for quite a while. My pilot profile is a biggie. I have Il2 on this machine (my son's), which is identical to mine but I cannot get my "Sim Chair" in this room and I am NOT ready to dismantle the thing and reassemble it in his room. I have not been happy. My fingers are crossed, and I am hoping to be up once again in the virtual skies later next week.
Sorry the long-winded text, I just had to vent a little.

Choctaw111
02-08-2008, 09:36 PM
After a long battle getting my PC up and running again, I finally got a replacement MoBo from ASUS (they were not very quick in getting my new one to me after my other MoBo died) and THAT MoBo went belly up right after all the wires and components were hooked up to it!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif I have decided to go with an EVGA board and it should be at the "PC fix it shop" (where I had my rig custom built) on Tuesday. Maybe then I will finally have my PC back after not having it for OVER A MONTH!!!! I have been VERY disappointed with how slow ASUS was in handling my MoBo issue...and they didn't seem terribly concerned. Let it be known that this is the FOURTH ASUS MoBo I have gone through since I have had this machine...and it is LESS THAN A YEAR OLD!
Since I am such a performance "enthusiast" I will see if there is any performance difference and once again post the numbers for the Black Death and Kamikaze tracks using the EVGA MoBo. Man, I cannot wait to get my PC back. There are so many things I have on there that I have not been able to do for quite a while. My pilot profile is a biggie. I have Il2 on this machine (my son's), which is identical to mine but I cannot get my "Sim Chair" in this room and I am NOT ready to dismantle the thing and reassemble it in his room. I have not been happy. My fingers are crossed, and I am hoping to be up once again in the virtual skies later next week.
Sorry the long-winded text, I just had to vent a little.

roybaty
02-08-2008, 09:46 PM
Hmmm, up until I got a dell box x2 years back Asus was great. As for evga I've had mixed experiences.

Are your sure your psu isn't fragging your mobo???

Choctaw111
02-08-2008, 09:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by roybaty:
Hmmm, up until I got a dell box x2 years back Asus was great. As for evga I've had mixed experiences.

Are your sure your psu isn't fragging your mobo??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very sure. The fellow who owns the place (he is VERY knowledgeable) where I bought my rig did all the tests and said after he hooked up everything to run the PC, the MoBo just died. He asked if I wanted to try EVGA and I said, "Sure, why not.".

R_Target
02-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Asus hasn't made a solid board since the A7N8X. I've had good results with Abit, DFI and Epox.

Bearcat99
02-08-2008, 11:06 PM
I hear ya... my last ASUS mobo was an A7N8X... and when it had issues I RMAd it .. and they sent it back to me... just as it was... the two fan headers on the mobo died... They said it was fine.... I haven't bough ASUS since... I'll go with Jetway before ASUS.. I like Gigabyte too... and ABIT.. but I wil not be buying an ASUS board again because IMO they don't stand behind their products...

-HH-Quazi
02-09-2008, 01:00 AM
Back when I was running nVidia it was with eVga graphic cards. I think eVga graphics cards are the best line up for nVidia across the board. One reason is because their customer support is second to none.

And along this time I frequented their forums allot also. I remember reading allot of threads complaining about their motherboards and customers having issues with them. Now this was about 15 months ago for a stretch of around 7 or 8 months. Hopefully for your sake the newer mobo releases are trouble free. But if for some reason you do have issues with this eVga mobo in the future, I believe you will be happy with the customer support you will receive.

Maico_249th
02-09-2008, 01:29 AM
First off let me say, I am really sorry about your luck Choctaw111. It is really frustrating to be without your PC for that long. I am really sorry to hear that the Asus Experince is not a good one. I am chilled to the bone. You see, I am running 3 Asus Mobo's at home. One of them is a 533 FSB. It must be six years old. Other than the usual Format re-install, there has been not other problems. The second board I have is a 800 FSB. It served me well with its 3.4 proc for a number of years. My newest Asus is the P5K3 Deluxe. It brought me into the new generation of Dual Processors and DDR3. So far, so good.
I wonder how much of your problems is your shop?

Good Luck Bud

santini812
02-09-2008, 01:57 AM
After using ASUS for over 10 years I've also said goodbye to a company that has produced less than stellar Mobos for the last few years. My latest disaster was a P5N-E Sli, finally got my new ASUS 8800 video cards, new memory and a new case. This was the 6th computer I've built from scratch, granted I'm not an ITT grad, but I figure it I can fix an AN-TPN 18 (Army Ground Approach Control Radar) I can slap together a killer IL-2 rig. To nake a long story short (because I can't stand the pain of re-living it), after 3 hours of playing Bioshock and falling in love the game all over...the board died. Replaced it and now all is right with the world, and ASUS has one less customer. I will still buy their cases, and I've had no problems with their video cards.

VMF-214_HaVoK
02-09-2008, 02:33 AM
I been using ASUS for my builds for quite some time now with no issues to speak of. Of course I assume my lucky experience does not pertain to all. Just the other day I built an awesome PC for my buddy and I opted for an Abit mobo after reading countless positive reviews. The build went smooth as the mobo recognized the cpu and ram and set them to proper speeds. Its the pro version and overclocking friendly its suppose to be. Bottom line is...there are many builders to choose from and Asus is not the holy grail of mobos it once was. Take the shot on something different or even the no name as you might just be pleasantly surprised.

S!

R_Target
02-09-2008, 02:43 AM
I also have an XFX 680i board that's actually not bad.

Capt.LoneRanger
02-09-2008, 03:14 AM
I built PCs primarily with ASUS until about a year ago. The prices got ridiculously high for the hardware and they justified that with additional equipment 10% of the users really need.
At the same time I had some critical flaws in layout (Chipset-cooler blocked by PCI-E-card) in some PCs I built for friends, so when it was time for me to upgrade I switched to an EVGA 680i.
The goodies are adequate, the BIOS and board-features are awesome. If you want to overclock, you should certainly look for the EVGA-boards. They got a lot of features onboard to actively support overclocking, like automatic voltage-settings and a lot of synchronization features for all kind of components on the board. You should know what you are doing, though, to use the board to it's limits.

Without touching these, I run my C2D E6600 at 3.6Ghz - normal is 2.4Ghz. Took me less than 30 seconds to set up and runs perfectly with plenty of space above. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

steiner562
02-09-2008, 05:19 AM
I can't beleive your vendor(pc builder or whatever you wanna call him)took over four weeks to replace the board in the first place,ASUS always tell you to return it to the vendor for an instant replacement/RMA,sorry to hear you had bad luck dude but ASUS motherboards on the whole are a quality product.

PF_Coastie
02-09-2008, 06:49 AM
Sorry about your problems with ASUS Choctaw. I have always wanted to try them because they were THE board to have back in the day. But, they were always too expensive for my budget. I went with an MSI board for my last build and I have been VERY pleased with its performance and ease of use. The price on the MSI boards is also very good compared to similar offerings by Asus and others.

Xiolablu3
02-09-2008, 07:38 AM
I have a Asus AN8 Deluxe, but I only bought it because it was a bargain at the time.

No problems so far, seems a nice board.

TgD Thunderbolt56
02-09-2008, 08:11 AM
Bummer dude. Been wondering where you've been.

I have a couple ASUS boards, a couple Abit boards and a single Intel board in my pc stable right now with nary a problem, but out of the 15 or so machines I've built in the last 5 years, I've only had an issue with one mobo...and it was an ASUS. Go figure.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Choctaw111
02-09-2008, 09:32 AM
I have three (3) PC's here in my house with EXACTLY the same system specs (makes for some KILLER LAN action between my sons and I http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif) and ALL of them have had MoBo trouble in the past, not just mine. Depending on how well this new EVGA MoBo works out, I may just change my sons' MoBo's to them as well when they finally give way.
I am very glad to hear that the customer support at EVGA is stellar, which is something that I have not been accustomed to during my numerous PC repairs over the last 11 months on my latest batch of rigs (Having a few sons, I usually wind up buying in bulk http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif).

Airmail109
02-09-2008, 09:36 AM
Gigabyte motherboards are LOVELY

Very well made and a nice bios

GAU-8
02-09-2008, 02:39 PM
I have an ASUS K8NS board, and havent had any problems with it, for the past two years. with MILD O.C.

but you said you are a "performance enthusiast"...

are you sure you are not putting to much "performance" into the PC that would cook any other mobo....?

Swivet
02-09-2008, 02:53 PM
Running two rigs with ASUS P4S800D-X. They are very "Ram Specific" and hadda problem when i first built the machines, but now they run fine, so far.I wont jinx myself on that quote, i promise http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif..Anyway, so far so good. My last rig was Asus P4P or something and it fried after about 3yrs, which is not very long... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif
Must depend on the model...

PapaLazarou.LoG
02-09-2008, 05:30 PM
Along time, I've only had 3 asus mobos. A7v133, a7a266, k8v-dx. All dead.

JSG72
02-09-2008, 06:14 PM
Have been running an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe for 2 and 1/2 years now . No probs apart from the Motherboard Fan going AWOL. Easily cured by pennies.

Bearcat99
02-09-2008, 06:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aimail101:
Gigabyte motherboards are LOVELY

Very well made and a nice bios </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Totally agree.... great boards. That is what I wanted... but I had to settle for a Jetway... that was the only 939 PCIE board I could find..

mbfRoy
02-09-2008, 07:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by R_Target:
Asus hasn't made a solid board since the A7N8X. I've had good results with Abit, DFI and Epox. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Cold hard fact!

GF_Mastiff
02-09-2008, 08:03 PM
I thopught I was the only one haveing problems with ASUS I bought K8vse and a p5dhdelux and both boards wont post at all after a 12 hour off period so now Im with out a mobo.

Looking at Abit or MSI I need my crossfire back.

DHC2Pilot
02-10-2008, 01:14 AM
ABIT is the best....forget the rest. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

Codex1971
02-10-2008, 03:58 AM
You know Gigabyte boards now come out of ASUS factories? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

http://news.soft32.com/asus-and-gigabyte-shake-hands_2084.html

R_Target
02-10-2008, 04:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DHC2Pilot:
ABIT is the best....forget the rest. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm real pleased with the IP35Pro.

erco415
02-10-2008, 08:23 AM
For the record, I've run mobo's from Asus, Evga, and Asrock, and I've had trouble and had to rma each of them for one reason or another. I'm two for two now having to rma multiple times (Asus and evga) to get up and running. That said, my impression is that my asus A8N32SLI is all around better (if not faster) than my evga NF68-122-CK-A1. Customer service has been good with asus and great at evga. Overall, I'd lean towards asus for my next build- perhaps Gigabyte.

Monterey13
02-10-2008, 09:07 AM
Biostar FTW!!!

I build several systems a week, and I use mostly Biostar. I have never had to RMA one(knocks on wood). My K8M800 is very user friendly, and very easy to overclock with the warpspeeder onboard OC utility. The board rocks!

-HH-Quazi
02-10-2008, 12:00 PM
DFI here guys for the last two builds. No problems with either their SLI-DR or their CFX3200 both 939-pin boards.

Choctaw111
02-11-2008, 12:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GAU-8:
I have an ASUS K8NS board, and havent had any problems with it, for the past two years. with MILD O.C.

but you said you are a "performance enthusiast"...

are you sure you are not putting to much "performance" into the PC that would cook any other mobo....? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was waiting for someone to say something like that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
I did a mild OC on the CPU, that's it. Nothing that should have fried the MoBo...and the OC on the CPU was done ONLY on my LATEST MoBo, not the first THREE (3) that I went through. This is just ridiculous to say the least. FOUR MoBo's in less than a year...there is no excuse for that. You have all seen my system specs. I know that my sons' systems have gone through a couple as well. I should call the place where I got my PC's and see how many RMA's I have done for these MoBo's. There have been quite a few.

TheFamilyMan
02-11-2008, 01:50 PM
About 2.5 years ago, asus took about 4 weeks to 'fix' a graphics for a new rig that I just put together. The vendor sent it in, and when I got it back it had the exact same problem!!!! So it was sent back again, this time it took about 7 weeks(!!!), after which asus sent back a totally different replacement (which turned to be a much better brand new card, though discontinued) which ended up being sold on ebay as NIB since by that time I had had it with waiting and bought an evga 7800gt co that is still going strong in SLI. My asus a8n-sli premium has been rock solid running oc'ed cpu & ram for those 2.5 years, but I doubt that I'll use asus for my next build. I'll definately never buy another asus graphics card (they are overpriced anyways).

mortoma
02-11-2008, 05:26 PM
I have had nothing but Asus for a long time and never had any trouble at all. I think what is happening is people are not taking proper anti-static precautions, the boards burn out early as a result ( almost never right away ) and then they blame the manufacturer on everything.
Learn how to properly handle electronics before you make any assessments. The next mobo I will buy will be an Asus and I will not have any trouble with it either.

Airmail109
02-11-2008, 05:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Codex1971:
You know Gigabyte boards now come out of ASUS factories? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

http://news.soft32.com/asus-and-gigabyte-shake-hands_2084.html </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't mean the designs are the same, or in fact the quality.

For example some 1500 quid Specialized bikes come out of the same Taiwanese factory as 50 quid unbranded POS bikes.

TooCooL34
02-12-2008, 11:05 AM
I will never use ASUS again.
Mine is ASUS p5w-DH-deluxe and all the usb part is sick.
Remote control function was dead 5 months ago. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
$200 nicely looking garbage.

Zoom2136
02-12-2008, 11:32 AM
ASUS MB are great as long as they don't go belly up... when they do go up in smoke... ASUS' customer service SUCKS the big one...

JG6_Oddball
02-12-2008, 04:09 PM
i remember when ABIT,ASUS,SOYO were the kings of the hill...but they have all taken a dip in quality http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif , I use newegg reviews as a reference point now... i NEVER would have bought a ROSEWILL PSU till i read the over %90 positive reviews (4-5 combined) I have never had a problem with giglebyte..they are not for over clockers but they have always run solid for me.

S!

R_Target
02-12-2008, 05:57 PM
Rosewill is just a re-brand imprint on a design made by one of the big PSU companies. Most of them are this way.

-HH-Quazi
02-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Yea there are several lesser know products\manufacturers stepping up & out for enthusiasts these days. One such manufacturer is the Foxconn motherboard. The Foxconn X38A motherboard has been reviewed and put up against what is considered the best for the X38 chipset, the Asus Maximus Formulae & Extreme. The Foxconnheld its own and even surpassed the Asus offering in some areas. What is unique about the Foxconn X38A is that Intel is finally giving both PCI-E slots x16 bandwidth but the Foxconn goes one step further for enthusiasts and those looking to build a rig with an upgrade path. It is capable of running DDR2 or DDR3 memory. So until DDR3 matures and its latency & timings get better one can use the more affordable DDR2 then make an upgrade to DDR3 without having to purchase\replace their current motherboard. The P35 chipset also offer a few mobos that are capable of DDR2 or DDR3 but the secong PCI-E graphics slot is only running at x4 bandwidth while the other PCI-E graphics slot is running at x16.

NFRANGA
02-13-2008, 05:03 AM
I always heard that ASUS made high quality motherboards.

Choctaw111
02-13-2008, 12:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NFRANGA:
I always heard that ASUS made high quality motherboards. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I spent a LOT of money on my rigs, so that's why I chose ASUS. I thought they were supposed to be good. After having gone through several per each PC, I have come to the point where I was having second thoughts, to put it mildly.

Vacillator
02-14-2008, 08:27 AM
Perhaps I'm lucky.

I recently put together these:

ASUS P5n-e SLI Motherboard
Core2Duo E6750 2.66GHz OC@ 3.2GHz
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro CPU cooler
ASUS EN8800 GT 512MB OC@ 700Mhz / 2000MHz
Thermaltake DuoOrb VGA cooler
2GB RAM Corsair XMS6400 800MHz

It was slightly twitchy with my old 480W PSU, so I replaced this with a Hiper M 630W PSU and so far it been nice and steady and pretty powerful (3DMark06 score is 12000 for what it's worth).
Temperatures with the after market coolers are generally in the 30s to low 40s.

PapaLazarou.LoG
02-14-2008, 09:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GF_Mastiff:
I thopught I was the only one haveing problems with ASUS I bought K8vse and a p5dhdelux and both boards wont post at all after a 12 hour off period so now Im with out a mobo.

Looking at Abit or MSI I need my crossfire back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At it's time, the kv8 SE replaced the original k8v because they were plagged with bad caps (fgs, that was already in late 03, and in their top of the line board for 754!). My k8v-dx died after 2 weeks of use, so as a very early a64 adopter I was mad about it. The worse part was that it couldn't be replaced because there was no stock, as the model was suddenly removed out of market and slowly being replaced with the later kv8 SE dx model which supposedly solved the bad caps (and reputation) issue (but they ketp on dying!). Went for an abit kv8-max3 (direct rival product), wich has been working nonstop for the last 4 years. Still, abit's bios support was awful, and abandoned the product too soon, not to mention the dang uguru on it's first version that has stuff can can ONLY be controlled via abit soft under windows xp such as fan alarms that can make you go crazy with default settings.
As time went by, for my work/game/overclock rigs I went with imho the best mobo dfi/oskar wu ever made, the nf3 250gb ut, one new at it's time in 04, and the other second hand about a year ago to swap out the abit. Their nf4 was good (and the one people are more used to as late a64 adopters), but never as rock solid because of small annoying stuff (cold boots, 4v jumper problems prone to fry my beloved BH-5s, not to mention the never ending bios versions crazyness for bh or tccd etc).
I'm still on 754 rigs and feel no need to change so soon as I feel almost retired as a gamer lol.