PDA

View Full Version : Bug in 'View Objects' (still present in 4.08m)



fresshness2001
03-09-2008, 02:47 PM
I cannot find the Heinkel Lerche III B-2 in the 'View Objects' feature.

Can anyone confirm this? And is there any chance this is going to be fixed ?

fresshness2001
03-09-2008, 02:47 PM
I cannot find the Heinkel Lerche III B-2 in the 'View Objects' feature.

Can anyone confirm this? And is there any chance this is going to be fixed ?

PBNA-Boosher
03-09-2008, 03:50 PM
There's a lot you won't be able to find in the "View Objects" menu. It just wasn't updated as it took a lot of work to get the write-ups together. It's not a bug, and no, it won't be fixed.

mortoma
03-09-2008, 04:17 PM
Boosh is right, plus there is no real life data on the Lerche since not only did it not fly, but none were even built. It never got past the drawing stage. So things like weight, and even speed are totally hypothetical.

fresshness2001
03-09-2008, 05:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PBNA-Boosher:
There's a lot you won't be able to find in the "View Objects" menu. It just wasn't updated as it took a lot of work to get the write-ups together. It's not a bug, and no, it won't be fixed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe it's not a bug, but it seems to me that at least they could include all flyable planes in it.

They managed to include information in the plane guide, and even the information that it was never was actually built is in itself already good information to know.

mortoma
03-10-2008, 08:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fresshness2001:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PBNA-Boosher:
There's a lot you won't be able to find in the "View Objects" menu. It just wasn't updated as it took a lot of work to get the write-ups together. It's not a bug, and no, it won't be fixed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe it's not a bug, but it seems to me that at least they could include all flyable planes in it.

They managed to include information in the plane guide, and even the information that it was never was actually built is in itself already good information to know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>In the case of the Lerche, what information would they provide? You can't get something from nothing. They could put in the game parameters I suppose, so you could compare it with other aircraft. They probably put in info in the game engine of some sort to give it its speed and turn rate. But other things like engine H.P. would have have to be fantasy.

fresshness2001
03-10-2008, 01:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mortoma:
In the case of the Lerche, what information would they provide? You can't get something from nothing. They could put in the game parameters I suppose, so you could compare it with other aircraft. They probably put in info in the game engine of some sort to give it its speed and turn rate. But other things like engine H.P. would have have to be fantasy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wikipedia yields:


The Heinkel 'Lerche' (German:"Lark") was the name of a set of project studies made by German aircraft designers Heinkel in 1944 and 1945 for a revolutionary VTOL fighter and ground-attack aircraft.

The Lerche was an early coleopter design. It would take off and land sitting on its tail, flying horizontally like a conventional aircraft. The pilot would lie prone in the nose. Most remarkably, it would be powered by two counter-rotating propellers which were contained in a donut-shaped annular wing.

The remarkably futuristic design was developed starting 1944 and concluding in March 1945. The aerodynamic principles of an annular wing were basically sound, but the proposal was faced with a whole host of unsolved problems of manufacture and control which would have made the project highly impractical even were it not for the materials shortages of late World War Germany.

Figures below are given for the 'Lerche II' plan dated 25th Feb 1945.

General characteristics

* Crew: one, pilot
* Length: 10.00 m to wheels (32 ft 10 in)
* Wingspan: 4.55 m max width (14 ft 11 in)
* Height: ()
* Wing area: 12.00 m² (129 ft²)
* Loaded weight: 5,600 kg (12,320 lb)

Performance

* Maximum speed: 750-800 km/h (466-497 mph)

Armament

2 × MK 108 cannon



That's alot of info, and if Oleg's Team can find the blueprints of them, I'm sure they can find even more information such as this.

Am I really that outrageous or out of line for this? You all seem to readily accept the notion of a very hypothetical airplane (plans only) in a WW2 simulator that tries to do it's ultra hard to be authentic, but then dismiss any points raised about having at least some info in game.

Info which is, as I have (hopefully) demonstrated, is out there.

fresshness2001
03-11-2008, 02:45 AM
It would seem people don't like it when I challenge their god(s) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif haha

HotelBushranger
03-11-2008, 05:42 AM
That, or nobody really cares about the object viewer http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Don't take it personally.

fresshness2001
03-11-2008, 10:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HotelBushranger:
That, or nobody really cares about the object viewer http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Don't take it personally. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's probably indeed the only thing left to say when you have no arguments to back up your side of the discussion.

PS: none taken.

SlickStick
03-11-2008, 11:19 AM
Just for anyone's information, the Object Viewer is not a separate file and is embedded in the code. Upon the major releases for FB and PF, they updated the Object Viewer and re-compiled. Oleg stated in a post long ago that they were not going to update the Object Viewer every time a plane got added in a subsequent patch, due to limited time and resources to accomplish said task.

At least that is how I remember it. I tried searching, but that Oleg post was too many years ago I guess.

fresshness2001
03-11-2008, 02:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SlickStick:
Just for anyone's information, the Object Viewer is not a separate file and is embedded in the code. Upon the major releases for FB and PF, they updated the Object Viewer and re-compiled. Oleg stated in a post long ago that they were not going to update the Object Viewer every time a plane got added in a subsequent patch, due to limited time and resources to accomplish said task.

At least that is how I remember it. I tried searching, but that Oleg post was too many years ago I guess. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

at least some good information, thank you.

Quite refreshing after enlightning replies alla "It's not included, move along..."

Skycat_2
03-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Search out Hardball's Aircraft Viewer utility. It's a flipbook instead of a 3-D viewer but it has the advantage that you can compare the strengths vs. weaknesses of any two aircraft.