PDA

View Full Version : Bringing home a damaged plane.

Talamir
05-24-2007, 03:09 AM
Out of curiosity, which is better to bring home a plane with a damaged engine and which method do you prefer?

Full throttle, getting everything you can out of it before it goes.

Or

Nursing it home, trying to make it last as long as possible.

I usually just go full throttle and try to gain as much altitude as possible before it goes and then glide home (mainly because I don't really know how to keep a dying engine going).

Talamir
05-24-2007, 03:09 AM
Out of curiosity, which is better to bring home a plane with a damaged engine and which method do you prefer?

Or

I usually just go full throttle and try to gain as much altitude as possible before it goes and then glide home (mainly because I don't really know how to keep a dying engine going).

Yellonet
05-24-2007, 03:44 AM
Depends on how far from home you are. If you're close you can take the chance with full throttle, otherwise I'd try to save the engine so that you can still make defensive manuevering if you're attacked on the way home.

Friendly_flyer
05-24-2007, 04:45 AM
As Yellonet says, it depends on distance. It also depends on what kind of engien damage you have.

Having said that, it's much more imersive trying to nurse a damaged engine home.

Philipscdrw
05-24-2007, 04:56 AM
How does the engine damage work then? I'd assumed that, if your engine was damaged, it'll break completely after x minutes/seconds regardless of the throttle settings.

Of course it's impossible to do tests on this unless you find a way to send a bullet through exactly the same part of the engine more than once...

UnknownTarget
05-24-2007, 05:44 AM
Generally I'm in the combat zone and have someone nearby, so I pour on the gas until I reach home. I'm usually flying an F4U or a P51 though, and those engines can overheat until eternity (the F4U more so). Otherwise I fly a MiG-3, and if my engine gets hit, my fuel tanks usually do too, which means I'm going down soon anyway http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Although last night online I was flying an F4U and the engine got hit, sticking my throttle at full WEP, so I didn't have much of a choice there http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Had to shut the engine off on final so I could actually slow down http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Snodrvr
05-24-2007, 06:28 AM
It really depends on the damage and if I'm in a multiengined bird. If it's just an oil leak, I watch the pressure and keep the rads open and reduce prop pitch in the damaged engine.

If the Engine governor is damaged and I have a runaway prop, I climb as high as I can before the engine burns out, as there is not much you can do to delay the failure.

XyZspineZyX
05-24-2007, 06:55 AM
Of course the best thing would be to keep or gain altitude, and turn for home, but engine damage is one of the those things that always happens when you're in hot and low, and thus gaining altitude suddenly becomes impossible to do...for me anyway

Usually if I feel I cant make it back home I atleast try to make it across the front lines, and then either belly land it in a field or on a road.

Breeze147
05-24-2007, 07:32 AM
This leads me to a question: On planes equipped with Fire Extinguishers, are they supposed to work? Because mine don't seem to work. I do believe that shutting the failed engine down and feathering the prop DOES work in helping to save the still working engine.

A TIP: If you are on the New Guinea map in a B-25 and lose an engine, you will never make it back over the Owen Stanley Range on one engine.

Divine-Wind
05-24-2007, 09:20 AM
That's funny, the fire extinguishers work fine for me. Usually. They'll at least delay failure or total meltdown for a couple seconds.

Warrington_Wolf
05-24-2007, 02:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Talamir:

Or

I usually just go full throttle and try to gain as much altitude as possible before it goes and then glide home (mainly because I don't really know how to keep a dying engine going). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I remember reading an article in Flypast about a ME-109 pilot in the Battle of Britain, who took hits to his radiator system.
In order to get back to friendly territory he started to climb at full throttle, when the engine started to overheat he pulled the throttle to idle and glided for several minutes until the engine cooled down. He would let the plane glide until he judged that he was too low, the firewall the engine again and gain altitude.
He did this all the way to Calais where he made an emergency landing.