PDA

View Full Version : Simple interface feature that would improve the game a lot: Tile count

unique_n4m3
08-09-2018, 03:34 PM
Hello,
In order to maintain the correct layout and not to waste too much space one is faced with the very tedious but unfortunately necessary task to count the tiles when building various structures such as roads.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/4222298-3x2-940x627.jpg
Please display the length of each leg, first the leg connected to the starting point, then the one connected the end point. That way the notation is consistent and easier to program, because it's independent of the camera orientation.

Example:
Let's take a look at this road:

╚══════

Assuming we are building from top left to bottom right the interface should display: 4x7
Assuming we are building from bottom right to top left the interface should display: 7x4

Best regards

Nox_29
08-10-2018, 02:52 PM
I think this is a great idea. I often find myself counting tiles on my screen because I have a specific city or production layout in mind, but I don't want to or can't place all the buildings yet. So I provide a space for it already in my road layout.

To make this even easier, it would also be nice to see in the building UI what the size of the buildings are. Then, when you try to place the building, you have somewhere in the UI display what the size of the building is that I'm currently trying to place.

Another idea that came to my mind while reading your post was a way of blocking out some tiles so that you can't accidentally build on them. Let's say I want to reserve some space for my monument, but I want to keep building my city around it until I have the resources to build the monument. What I then could do is mark the tiles I want to keep clear for my monument with some marking tool. Then, when I'm placing other streets and buildings, that space will be blanked out until I remove it again with the marking tool.

I have noticed that these small UI improvements don't seem to be THAT important, but when I return to older Anno titles I really notice that I miss some UI improvements in the new titles. So I would love it if they did something this tile counting problem in some way.

iruet
08-11-2018, 07:14 PM
Maybe a visible grid would help with this issue? would be nice to be able to disable it...

unique_n4m3
08-25-2018, 08:35 PM
The grid was added. But the human brain can only count to 7 at once. Therefore it doesn't solve the problem, although it's a little help.