PDA

View Full Version : YAW maneuvering

blazer-glory
10-16-2011, 06:19 AM
Still a bit of a newbie when it comes to dog fighting but I've read about the technique where you use YAW controls to make the plane slip and slide on the horizontal. Just wondered what use you can make of this defensively/offensively?

blazer-glory
10-16-2011, 06:19 AM
Still a bit of a newbie when it comes to dog fighting but I've read about the technique where you use YAW controls to make the plane slip and slide on the horizontal. Just wondered what use you can make of this defensively/offensively?

Chris0382
10-16-2011, 07:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Reply </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Reply </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Its just another method or tool to help bleed off energy and slow the plane down.

Could be used before landing if your speed is too high on approach or to make an enemy plane on your six pass you by. Or if you are approaching an enemy too fast and he slows down to make you pass him, you do what you can to slow down also.

VW-IceFire
10-16-2011, 08:40 AM
I like to perform something called a negative knife edge. Basically you roll 90 degrees on either side and apply rudder to point the nose skyward. It slows you down while presenting a somewhat difficult to predict target.

Treetop64
10-17-2011, 10:55 AM
My favorite maneuver is to surprise the guy behind me by by yawing the plane 180 degrees and shooting him down instead! Works every time.

It's a little trick I learned from TV.

K_Freddie
10-17-2011, 01:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Treetop64:
My favorite maneuver is to surprise the guy behind me by by yawing the plane 180 degrees and shooting him down instead! Works every time.

It's a little trick I learned from TV. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Shizztirrer http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Try not to yaw too much as you'll present a larger target area for your attacker, and they'll most definitely get a Pilot Kill (PK) as you'll be exposing your pilot. For the most part you want to minimise your target area and do the 'violent' moves when you're out of their firing line and then minimise again when back in the firing line.

blazer-glory
10-17-2011, 03:12 PM
Thanks guys. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

vracan62
10-26-2011, 10:10 AM
Actually slip on landing is better used when Altitude is too high on approach(as opposed to speed too high). Careful at low speeds though, it could induce stall/spin.

JtD
10-26-2011, 10:35 AM
From my experience yawing makes you a more difficult target. Alone, it is not enough to make an experienced pilot miss you from close range, but folks with little experience or shots fired from further out will hit more rarely.

But I find it extremely useful in combination with other manoeuvres. Flying a sharp turn with lots of rudder is something very few folks can intuitively and quickly account for. However, it easy to lose control over the plane in a manoeuvre like that, in particular if you're riding the edge of a stall.

WTE_Galway
10-26-2011, 03:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JtD:
From my experience yawing makes you a more difficult target. Alone, it is not enough to make an experienced pilot miss you from close range, but folks with little experience or shots fired from further out will hit more rarely.

But I find it extremely useful in combination with other manoeuvres. Flying a sharp turn with lots of rudder is something very few folks can intuitively and quickly account for. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1

deflection shooting a target doing a series of wildly unco-ordinated turns is an exercise in futility.

K_Freddie
10-27-2011, 04:29 AM
Usually one doesn't have to use the rudder too much, except for corrections in flight alignment.

Rudder control is really usefull in slow speed maneuvering where sometimes it requires precise control.

For high speed, 'momentary' use of rudder can get send you in the opposite direction throwing off your persuer for valuable seconds.. if not losing you completely.

Practise a bit, it's the most underrated control surface.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

EJGrOst_Caspar
10-28-2011, 11:15 AM
AFAIK, yaw movement is not simulated very well. I mean, you should be able to fly a circle by rudder input only (wings straight)... in game you just yaw but still fly straight.

K_Freddie
10-28-2011, 11:38 AM
ahem!!!... Your signature says that you're part of Team D, Is this correct ????

JtD
10-28-2011, 03:58 PM
The plane also turns with rudder input alone, it just doesn't do it very well. I typically use rudder trim to make small adjustments to my flight path on level bombing runs, and it works.