PDA

View Full Version : is there a solution for SecuCRAP & DVD burners?

alt_PerfectShot
09-27-2005, 11:07 PM
Alright, so here I am, pre-orderd the game a decade ago and after an install of the limited edition the nightmares of HL2 return.

SecuROM is not working with my DVD burner. Duh.

Any company that's still using that is probably going out of business (did I hear Cyan is laid off for now?).

Anyway, I'm really, really angry (as probably most of you guys & gals are with that problem) and I ponder - is there a solution / patch for this?

If not, I'll return the game before the weekend and wait a few days and rebuy it when its sold for 1/4 the price (online that is).

Sorry for the repost but after going through 4 threads, I didn't find a solution that would work with my burner.

And I have contacted support regarding this and I'm in stage two now, sending them a file they'll probably never look at. RANT

alt_PerfectShot
09-27-2005, 11:07 PM
Alright, so here I am, pre-orderd the game a decade ago and after an install of the limited edition the nightmares of HL2 return.

SecuROM is not working with my DVD burner. Duh.

Any company that's still using that is probably going out of business (did I hear Cyan is laid off for now?).

Anyway, I'm really, really angry (as probably most of you guys & gals are with that problem) and I ponder - is there a solution / patch for this?

If not, I'll return the game before the weekend and wait a few days and rebuy it when its sold for 1/4 the price (online that is).

Sorry for the repost but after going through 4 threads, I didn't find a solution that would work with my burner.

And I have contacted support regarding this and I'm in stage two now, sending them a file they'll probably never look at. RANT

uecasm
09-28-2005, 02:48 AM
It works on my burner. Make sure you're not running any software tools that mess with the drive. (No virtual drives, no speed controllers, no region-free programs, NOTHING that goes anywhere near the drive.) Some people have suggested that you may need to upgrade the firmware in your burner as well. (I can't confirm that as I was already using the latest firmware.)

But yes, SecuCRAP is evil and must die. And I'm certain that it's Ubi's fault, not Cyan. If nothing else works, send Ubi a support request -- if they get enough people complaining about it then they might do something.

stfy
09-28-2005, 09:49 AM
i have the very same problems here... disc didnt recognized by brand new DVD burner.
Some ppl advise to uninstall various CD/DVD tools - and i say I WOUNT DO THAT!!!
In future i wount by any UBI games protected by Securom, coz its very simple to determine which protection will be on just released game...

Heimdall_G
09-28-2005, 03:09 PM
Installing EoA from a clean boot is the best way to do it.

Take a look at the stickied topic Myst V: Clean Boot Install/Re-install With Win XP (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3471054943/m/6171031163), under Installing and Re-Installing EoA With Win XP.

"In general, to minimize EoA installation problems:
-- Disable any programs intended to allow you to play DVD movies from any region (for example, DVD Region Killer)
-- Disable any virtual disks installed by CD/DVD burning programs, like Easy CD/DVD Creator. Worst case, you may need to uninstall the burning program.
-- Disable any programs that enable drag-and-drop-file-transfer CD/DVD burning, aka packet writing software (for example, Direct CD, InCD, DLA/Sonic DLA, Instant-Write, Packet CD, Drag to Disc, FileCD, abCD). Worst case, you may need to uninstall the program.
-- You may need to create a new User Account with all the rights/privileges you can give it, reboot, then install EoA to the new account. (See How To Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783) for details.) Do this only if you can't successfully install EoA to your existing account.
-- Download and install the most recent firmware for your DVD drive, especially if it's a DVD-RW drive."

alt_PerfectShot
09-28-2005, 09:46 PM
I wonder if there's any software that could conflict with my DVD burner.
Its not the first time I've clashed with that protection...

If I insert the DVD into a standard (borrowed) DVD player, it works fine. Authentication takes a split second...

I remember that back then I never used any virtual drives and I still had the problem...

I'll see if Ubi support has any brilliant suggestions...

I'd hate to return the game - so far I've never gotten into a single Myst game (copy protection problems?).

Good luck all!

alt_PerfectShot
09-29-2005, 07:33 PM
Day 2... Still no reply from Ubisoft...

I'd rather get it working then return the game to a store...

Its amazing! I can't keep that borrowed vanilla DVD drive for ever though...

alt_PerfectShot
10-07-2005, 08:20 PM
<rant>

Gee - no reply from Ubisoft after 2 weeks...

Great email support system...

I reply to thier emails but they close my "question" anyway. Posted it 3 times.

Game is going back. Ubisoft - go to hell!

And thank you for not making the game available to paying customers with DVD burners... Now I have to wait for some real programmers to fix the **** startup exe...

</rant>

Really, has anyone heard of a solution?
I'm so sorry that Cyan worked with Ubisoft.
Maybe we should start a campaign to take down SecuROM. Please, those protections schemes have more disadvantages then benefits...
The DVD encryption comes to mind - a teenager cracked it...

Sigh. Please post.