PDA

View Full Version : I Adore this Game, and I'm BAFFLED at Something...

PetroRjak
11-15-2007, 09:27 AM
I've been looking forward to this game for a LONG time, and after my first night of playing I'm totally engrossed, fascinated and blown away. It has that "more-than-the-sum-of-its=parts" feeling ... that sense of excitement and obsession I've felt very few times with the very few absolute gems of my gaming experiences.

There. That's how I feel.

Now here's what baffles me...

The promotional materials around this game were fascinating from the word go, but whenever I'd talk to someone about it they'd immediately launch into a nitpicky whine about the control system, or the "futuristic" angle, or just complete dismissal "awwww...man that game isn't even on my radar."

Ok ... fine ... valid concerns, valid opinions.

But the promotional materials for Mass Effect seem to be largely about lesbian love scenes and a nifty chat system, and I'm not hearing the same level of nitpicking.

12th century assassin slinking through hyper-real cities of the Holy Land striking quickly and escaping pursuers by leaping between rooftops

versus

Lesbian love scenes and a chat system.

Now....I'm a big fan of the "lesbian love scene" genre and I'm *DEFINITELY* excited about Mass Effect, but I'm just dying to figure out why Assassin's Creed is being held to such a different standard? Am I missing the Mass Effect nitpicking? Is my history-nerdness clouding my judgement? Do I just have an unhealthy obsession with "stealth" games?

I'm just not gettin' it...

P.S.: Don't even get me started on Halo...

PetroRjak
11-15-2007, 09:27 AM
I've been looking forward to this game for a LONG time, and after my first night of playing I'm totally engrossed, fascinated and blown away. It has that "more-than-the-sum-of-its=parts" feeling ... that sense of excitement and obsession I've felt very few times with the very few absolute gems of my gaming experiences.

There. That's how I feel.

Now here's what baffles me...

The promotional materials around this game were fascinating from the word go, but whenever I'd talk to someone about it they'd immediately launch into a nitpicky whine about the control system, or the "futuristic" angle, or just complete dismissal "awwww...man that game isn't even on my radar."

Ok ... fine ... valid concerns, valid opinions.

But the promotional materials for Mass Effect seem to be largely about lesbian love scenes and a nifty chat system, and I'm not hearing the same level of nitpicking.

12th century assassin slinking through hyper-real cities of the Holy Land striking quickly and escaping pursuers by leaping between rooftops

versus

Lesbian love scenes and a chat system.

Now....I'm a big fan of the "lesbian love scene" genre and I'm *DEFINITELY* excited about Mass Effect, but I'm just dying to figure out why Assassin's Creed is being held to such a different standard? Am I missing the Mass Effect nitpicking? Is my history-nerdness clouding my judgement? Do I just have an unhealthy obsession with "stealth" games?

I'm just not gettin' it...

P.S.: Don't even get me started on Halo...

DeAdLy2323
11-15-2007, 09:28 AM
read the penny arcade article about the low ratings

AirRon_2K7
11-15-2007, 09:31 AM
It's in my sig xD

DeAdLy2323
11-15-2007, 09:32 AM
nice...but i must say, my sig is way better and more creative then yours http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

PetroRjak
11-15-2007, 09:39 AM
Thank you guys!!

And thank you Gabe!!! My world makes sense again!!

Half the joy I got from playing the game last night was climbing up to high points and looking around for flags. Doing all the side missions. Marvelling that we live in an age where I can basically *EXPERIENCE* 12th century Damascus.

What an absolute friggin' joy....I can't wait to go after all the achievements over the next couple of weeks.

DeAdLy2323
11-15-2007, 09:45 AM
same here, only problem i have, and it isn't a problem really is that you need to unlock the middle and rich sections of the cities which i cant wait to see, acre is freaky in the poor section