PDA

View Full Version : This was a nice work of fiction.

Christ4Lyfe
12-12-2009, 12:01 AM
This was a nice work of fiction but it would have been nicer if they tried to make it a bit more believable.

Plus I find it pretty insulting that they claim that the men who throughout history did amazing things were only able to do so through the use of a magical sphere. Jesus diddnt die for your sins just so he could be called a fraud, show some damn respect. And if moses never parted the red sea then how would the jews escape egypt?

Im not trying to be a sour grape here and I think the game was good regardless I just think you should stick more to the truth and stop spreading blasphemous lies.

Christ4Lyfe
12-12-2009, 12:01 AM
This was a nice work of fiction but it would have been nicer if they tried to make it a bit more believable.

Plus I find it pretty insulting that they claim that the men who throughout history did amazing things were only able to do so through the use of a magical sphere. Jesus diddnt die for your sins just so he could be called a fraud, show some damn respect. And if moses never parted the red sea then how would the jews escape egypt?

Im not trying to be a sour grape here and I think the game was good regardless I just think you should stick more to the truth and stop spreading blasphemous lies.

Sparty2020
12-12-2009, 12:05 AM
Please, no religious banter about what a dead man did. And why isn't it believable? They did a pretty good job with clues that I never noticed such as those slight bulges in Ghandi or Washington's clothing or those little similarities across time that noone notices (or ignores) such as Marco Polo and Dante Alighieri living at about the same time.

But, point is, no religious talk. Stick to historical facts

Christ4Lyfe
12-12-2009, 12:08 AM
I am sticking to historical facts, everyone who isnt a godless heathen knows that Jesus turned water into wine and Moses parted the red sea.

What is your point Sparty?

Sparty2020
12-12-2009, 12:13 AM
Point is that to about half of the world the Bible is nothing but a fairy tale and that you shouldn't force it on people. Not everyone likes being called a godless heathen.

If you're going to talk about how unlikely the game is concerning history talk about people who we ALL know exist such as Joan de Arc or Rasputin or Napoleon Bonaparte. Don't bring religion into it...

Christ4Lyfe
12-12-2009, 12:18 AM
This has nothing to do with religion, religion is a way of life and I am not forcing you to go to church, if you want to goto hell then that is your choice I am mearly stating facts, historical facts.

If you want to be ignorant about history then fine but dont try and claim the bible is a fairy tale.

Sparty2020
12-12-2009, 12:24 AM
It's not history http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Jesus and Moses are not documented in any Roman or Egyptian scrolls or documents, they only appear in the Torah, the Bible, and I forgot the Muslim version (srry) making them fictional as far as history is concerned like Achilles, Hector, and all other men of Homeric legend. If you wanna treat them as real people, fine, go nuts.

But please don't say stuff like not believing in them or changing their actions is "Blasphemous". Religion isn't a way of life, it's an ideal, which you are spreading.

If you want to talk about why this game fails at historical fiction, fine, but do so without going into religious texts. Otherwise I see no reason for this thread should continue

Assassin_M
12-12-2009, 12:50 AM
We should`nt talk about religion here because it will most likely cause a brawl its just a Game Have fun and enjoy it the way it is u dont have to look at it the way ur doing

OzDavis
12-12-2009, 02:55 AM
For anybody who is offended by the content of any video game, or television show for that matter, I have the perfect solution to your problem, it's called the off switch!

kingbren08
12-12-2009, 03:12 AM
im pretty sure the muslim holy book is called the koran not sure though and why are you fighting about religion on a game forum. im christian and i amnt offended by assasins creed 2 in the slightest

Captain Tomatoz
12-12-2009, 03:19 AM
i thought that christians believed in love and forgiveness. Not hate. You need to accept other people opinions and not just your own http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

kingbren08
12-12-2009, 03:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony6593:
i thought that christians believed in love and forgiveness. Not hate. You need to accept other people opinions and not just your own http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
was that directed at me or christ4lyfe

Sparty2020
12-12-2009, 04:11 AM
christ i'm guessing since he's calling the game "blasphemous" and people who don't believe in the Bible "Godless Heathens" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif can somebody please close this before a real fight begins?

SWJS
12-12-2009, 04:17 AM
I am christian and I see it this way.

I don't put the game's story before my beliefs, because it IS just a story.

Nothing to get upset about.

the amolang
12-12-2009, 04:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sparty2020:
It's not history http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Jesus and Moses are not documented in any Roman or Egyptian scrolls or documents, they only appear in the Torah, the Bible, and I forgot the Muslim version (srry) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wow, this statement is SO ridiculous. do you really believe this? cause, if I have to, i can give proof that he was WELL documented. the bible is considered the most reliable document in the entire history of the world, there has been so few errors (if any, I don't even think they have found anything that is contradicted by other historical documents, except the actual religious stuff, like the miracles). so you can't say that its fictional. and by the way, the Muslim holy book is called the Quran.

and if you want to know, I'm a Christian, but I'm not saying this just to defend my belief, I just wanted to get some facts straight.

and Christ4Life, don't call people "godless heathens", cause people on these forums will blast you. how about we just stop talking about religion and all that. its banned on this forum anyways...

zitl
12-12-2009, 04:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the bible is considered the most reliable document in the entire history of the world, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only by Christians, mate.

A religious person who tells people to "get their facts straight" is A+ humor.

Zerban_da_Great
12-12-2009, 05:03 AM
Assassin's Creed 2 is a thought-provoking game which challenges you to actually be critical of your beliefs instead of just accepting what other people tell you. Read all the Codex entries, mull them over, THEN start complaining on the forum.

To be honest I was wondering when fights like this would break out.

DimmuB0rgir
12-12-2009, 05:10 AM
Haha this thread is hilarious. Another religious troll to save the day. Noone wants to listen to your crap buddy.

OniLinkSword
12-12-2009, 05:27 AM
I do hope the OP is a joke / troll. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif

Christ4Lyfe
12-12-2009, 05:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kingbren08:
im pretty sure the muslim holy book is called the koran not sure though and why are you fighting about religion on a game forum. im christian and i amnt offended by assasins creed 2 in the slightest </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look I am not offended by the game I actually enjoy it but I do believe the story would be better if they diddnt spread blasphemous lies.

Christ4Lyfe
12-12-2009, 05:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony6593:
i thought that christians believed in love and forgiveness. Not hate. You need to accept other people opinions and not just your own http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is the most ignorant thing ive heard all day, I am so sick of people insulting my religion by saying "God is love" or "Jesus is love", this is absolute hogwash. Try telling that to all the folks god killed in the great flood for nothing more than saying somthing that may have upset him.

Here take these bible quizs

http://www.landoverbaptist.org.../wrathofgodquiz.html (http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news0102/wrathofgodquiz.html)
http://www.landoverbaptist.org...biblepunishment.html (http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news0601/biblepunishment.html)

My guess is your so ignorant you wont get a single answer right.

TheEpicWolf
12-12-2009, 05:49 AM
I completely understand what your getting at Christ4Lyfe but i don't as i don't really have any opinion on religion so don't know much about it save for what i learned in school. But if you take the AC world to be completely different to ours considering Leonardo met Ezio who is fictional then it's not really spreading lies because although they may be lies if they were about religion in the REAL world they are likely the truth in Desmonds world.
And i know it's basically meant to be our world but it isnt and shouldn't be taken as such. I really don't think there's any need to be angered by it though as it is ONLY A STORY, i am not trying to keep this argument going but i just thought would tell you what my thoughts were on this topic.

And welcome to the forums http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

DiamondBlade_R
12-12-2009, 06:00 AM
This is a disclamer shown whenever one boots up the game:

"INSPIRED BY HISTORICAL EVENTS AND CHARACTERS. THIS WORK OF FICTION WAS DESIGNED, DEVELOPED AND PRUDUCED BY A MULTICULTURAL TEAM OF VARIOUS RELIGIOUS FAITHS AND BELIEFS".

Now OP, in the presence of such a disclaimer, what do you have to say that would argue the fact that the development team had no anti-religious motives making this game?

Besides, I must say that you shouldn't take this to heart that much. For one thing, it's a game. A work of fiction. If that's not enough, you have this disclaimer that negates every religious intention you might have thought the developers had while making the game.

the amolang
12-12-2009, 06:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zitl:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the bible is considered the most reliable document in the entire history of the world, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only by Christians, mate.

A religious person who tells people to "get their facts straight" is A+ humor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't want to start an argument, as I think its useless to do it on the internet, but thats not true, top archeologists and historians have said this, and two of the most famous archeologists of this past century tried to prove the Bible wrong in some aspect but both have been unsuccessful.
The reason it is considered the most accurate is because of the sheer number of manuscripts in existence and considering the archeological evidence that proves it. The New Testament has 5,366 (all of which are 99.5% the same) manuscripts, and one of the closest book to come to that amount would be Homer's Iliad, which has 643. So the sheer amount and the consistency between this manuscripts (and considering that some were written less than fifty years after the actual events) it's pretty much a given that they are accurate. Plus numerous scholars and officials during that time that have proven these events to be true.
Just to name some of them:
-Jewish Historian Josephus
-Historian Tacitus
-Historian Pliny the Younger
-Historian Suetonius
-Historian Phlegon
-Emperor Hadrian
-Satirist Lucian of Samosata

There are more too, I just can't think of them http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif but all of these men lived within two hundred years of Jesus and confirmed his existence and his "disturbing" (to some of them) "powers"

I might sound obsessed, but I'm not, I'm just a history buff (just like many members on here) and just wanted to share some evidence...

Christ4Lyfe
12-12-2009, 06:14 AM
You go brother, teach these poor ignorant souls the truth that is jesus.

HewieAlbino
12-12-2009, 06:17 AM
It's a game. If you want to believe whatever is stated and said fine by me. But don't go around blaming Ubisoft for spreading lies and calling everyone "godless heathens" for not believing what Jesus did.

Like you said in your title, FICTION! Not real. Sure it's based on actual historical events, but that doesn't mean whatever happened in game did happened in real life.

And "poor ignorant souls"? What is your problem honestly? Not everyone believes in Jesus alright. There are people here who belief in other Gods. Does it make them ignorant to you? How about the other way around when you don't believe in their god? You'll be ignorant to them. Stop disrespecting other people's religion if you expect them to respect yours.

the amolang
12-12-2009, 06:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Christ4Lyfe:
You go brother, teach these poor ignorant souls the truth that is jesus. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

please seriously, don't say things like that. It's not that I'm saying that its bad to share your beliefs, as everyone has that right. but is this really the best way? I just wanted to give evidence that it happened HISTORICALLY. I'm not trying to prove that he was divine (even though I do believe he is) I just wanted some of these people to understand that the Bible is accurate from a historical viewpoint. believe me when I say this, none of these guys are going to become Christians just because they read my post or yours or anyone else's here.
I just don't think its right that they say that the Bible isn't accurate, that its facts aren't straight. thats all i wanted to do. not start a war about religions and beliefs. This is not the time or the place. These forums are meant to discuss the game, and its historical aspects. So lets just drop this, as people are just going to hate on you until this thread is closed.

zitl
12-12-2009, 06:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but all of these men lived within two hundred years of Jesus and confirmed his existence </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not saying the Bible doesn't contain a lot of truth. -I'm just saying it very likely contains just as many lies.

Imo, a book containing so many supernatural tales can't be considered the most accurate historical document in the history of the world. Despite how accurate it may be in SOME areas.

I'm not saying that Jesus didn't exist either, even though I'm sceptic. -I just think that if he did he was probably either a Gandhi/Mandela type of character or a hoaxter.

Abeonis
12-12-2009, 06:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Christ4Lyfe:
You go brother, teach these poor ignorant souls the truth that is jesus. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Christ4Lyfe, I feel somewhat ashamed that you, who consider yourself an expert in all things religious, would actually call yourself Christian... and I also find your username blasphemous (as I am reading the implication that you believe yourself to be Christ) and offensive.

I am christian by birth, atheist by nature and whilst I have never read, or intend to read, the bible (most of which I believe I would disagree with highly) I highly doubt I would find much within this game that would contradict anything the bible says. You ask us to "show some damn respect", why don't you respect that there are people out there who not only dispute the divinity of Jesus (which was actually voted upon under the court of Constantine I), but deny the existance of a God, period (i.e. Buddhist).

Now, you're either the saddest attempt at a troll I have seen in a long time, and take it from an avid wiki user, i've seen a lot; or you truly are a religious fundamentalist with nothing better to do than preach your religious believe to people who, I believe I can safely say, could care less.

N.B. A few extra tidbits, I do not appreciate being called a godless heathen... surely if God exists then technically, we are not godless; we'd just be heathens. Secondly, your implication that by not going to Church I am going to Hell is erroneous; in christian law simply not going to Chruch doesn't afford you a place in hell.... and besides, I don't believe in Hell. So when I die, I'm going straight to the never-ending pub in the sky http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Good day.

Christ4Lyfe
12-12-2009, 06:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HewieAlbino:

And "poor ignorant souls"? What is your problem honestly? Not everyone believes in Jesus alright. There are people here who belief in other Gods. Does it make them ignorant to you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, yes it does.

However I am not trying to force my religion on you or anyone else, if you want to go to hell then that is your choice.

zitl
12-12-2009, 06:36 AM
^Jesus would be proud.

the amolang
12-12-2009, 06:39 AM
EDIT: Sorry I thought I quoted zitl... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Do you know someone named Sir William Ramsay? He is considered one of the best archeologists of his day, and was known for not believing the Bible or any of its historical pieces of evidence. In his lifetime he tried to prove that the Bible had lots of holes and lies all throughout the books. EVERY SINGLE TIME Ramsay was proven wrong as he searched all over the world for evidence to prove that the Bible was full of errors, he always found that the Bible was correct, and that each and every item that was considered bogus by the world (that he was able to research) was found to be correct and be 100% accurate. He eventually became a Christian because the evidence was overwhelming (to him) that the Bible was completely correct.

Or there was William Albright, who was known for writting more than 800 books (and articles) and for being one of the top men to go to to try and validate manuscripts. He has researched and confirmed many parts of the New Testament throughout his years in this position.

HewieAlbino
12-12-2009, 06:42 AM
So it's either heaven with you or hell then? Fine. Point me to the nearest "Down" escalator please. Or a fireman's pole if there's one.

And you're damning people in the name of your god? Bravo.

Assassin_M
12-12-2009, 06:49 AM
U should just Calm down christ4life the game is a complete work of fiction every single thing (well to me atleast) im muslim and i believe in prophet Muahmmed, Jesus, Moses Etc.... yet i find no offence in this game because its just a DARN GAME and by GAME i mean FICTIONAL seriously lets just stop this nonsense... where is REALJAMBO when u need him

the amolang
12-12-2009, 06:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Assassin_M:
U should just Calm down christ4life the game is a complete work of fiction every single thing.... yet i find no offence in this game because its just a DARN GAME and by GAME i mean FICTIONAL seriously </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+10

HewieAlbino
12-12-2009, 06:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by amolang:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Assassin_M:
U should just Calm down christ4life the game is a complete work of fiction every single thing.... yet i find no offence in this game because its just a DARN GAME and by GAME i mean FICTIONAL seriously </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+10 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

^Agreed. Just like you sit down to enjoy a book, just sit down and enjoy the game. Please.

xSpottyZebrax
12-12-2009, 07:00 AM
This thread has made me so glad to be atheist http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

zitl
12-12-2009, 07:01 AM
Amolang, the thing is that you can't disprove anything that isn't founded on facts or evidence.
How do you prove Jesus turned water into wine? You can't. How do you prove he didn't? You can't.

I'm agnostic, I guess. I feel about God as I do about unicorns or gnomes or ghosts.

Do I know that there's no ghosts? No. Can I prove there isn't? No. I'm pretty sure there's isn't any ghosts. That's all I have.

There's too much in the Bible I don't agree with, especially the old testament. And there's too many paradoxes for me to buy it all as truth. I wonder if we made god in our image and not the other way around.

HewieAlbino
12-12-2009, 07:14 AM
I just don't like it when other people try to force their beliefs and religion onto others. I'm a free-thinker, my parents and siblings too. But I have friends and colleagues who are Muslims, Buddists, Taoists, Hindus, Catholics and Christians.

To us, religion has become a lunch time topic. Why? Because we know how to respect each other's beliefs. We can discuss religion amicably and sometimes jokingly because we know our limits. We don't force each other to renounce their religion neither do we go insult their god/s from across the table.

They know I have no religion, but they don't try to get me to convert. Just the same way I don't choose to question them on their choices.

It's all about respecting one's opinions. If you diss mine, how do you expect me to take yours seriously?

Assassin_M
12-12-2009, 07:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HewieAlbino:
I just don't like it when other people try to force their beliefs and religion onto others. I'm a free-thinker, my parents and siblings too. But I have friends and colleagues who are Muslims, Buddists, Taoists, Hindus, Catholics and Christians.

To us, religion has become a lunch time topic. Why? Because we know how to respect each other's beliefs. We can discuss religion amicably and sometimes jokingly because we know our limits. We don't force each other to renounce their religion neither do we go insult their god/s from across the table.

They know I have no religion, but they don't try to get me to convert. Just the same way I don't choose to question them on their choices.

It's all about respecting one's opinions. If you diss mine, how do you expect me to take yours seriously? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Exactly so just leave religion to its people and lets just enjoy this work of fiction, i mean seriously whats all this nonsense ? GROW UP, Oh What Are You A Tiny Child ? LOL couldnt resist saying that

Sparty2020
12-12-2009, 07:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by amolang:
EDIT: Sorry I thought I quoted zitl... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Do you know someone named Sir William Ramsay? He is considered one of the best archeologists of his day, and was known for not believing the Bible or any of its historical pieces of evidence. In his lifetime he tried to prove that the Bible had lots of holes and lies all throughout the books. EVERY SINGLE TIME Ramsay was proven wrong as he searched all over the world for evidence to prove that the Bible was full of errors, he always found that the Bible was correct, and that each and every item that was considered bogus by the world (that he was able to research) was found to be correct and be 100% accurate. He eventually became a Christian because the evidence was overwhelming (to him) that the Bible was completely correct.

Or there was William Albright, who was known for writting more than 800 books (and articles) and for being one of the top men to go to to try and validate manuscripts. He has researched and confirmed many parts of the New Testament throughout his years in this position. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Let's see if I can settle this dispute.

The Bible is and should be considered along the lines of The Iliad, The Odyssey, and The Aeneid. Historical Fiction. I believe The Bible, like Homer's works, was based on real events and real places, but it also greatly exaggerated several places and people. I doubt Troy survived 10 years under siege, I doubt Hector wielded a 10-foot spear (seriously I can't imagine that even with both hands http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif ), I doubt Achilles' armor was crafted by a God, and I doubt that Aeneas managed to escape Troy with his father on his back, his son by his hand, and 60-pounds of armor on his shoulders. Does that make the Trojan War false? Nope, people have said it's false but there have been evidence to show a REAL war that occured in the supposed site of Troy, with a REAL Hector (a messanger, not a fabulous prince) and a REAL Priam (as a powerful young boy fighting in the frontlines, not an ancient wise king with 50 sons).

The Bible is indeed based on real even but it is also exaggerated on alot of areas such as Christ walking on water, turning water to wine, surviving all those times he went on a journey without food for extended periods, etc...

Personally I doubt Christ even existed, but that's not the point, my point is that yes The Bible can be true in some regards but in alot (especially Genesis and the journeys of Jesus) it is fictitious.

I find religious banter fun, to be sure, but not over the internet. Can a mod please close this, it seems the thread is not going anywhere significant since Christ4Lyfe is stalwart in his beliefs

the amolang
12-12-2009, 08:02 AM
good point guys, and like I said before, I'm not trying to prove that Jesus was divine, I'm just saying that the Bible is one of the most historically accurate books out there. at hewie, thats exactly my point of view as well, I love to hear other peoples ideas and thoughts, in a way that we don't feel pressured to change sides or convert. so I respect your guys' opinions, everyone has the right to believe what they want.

hmmm, just one more thing... at sparty2020, you said you think that the Bible is just like the Iliad, the Odyssey, and the Aeneid. but i think there is one big difference. these books have no evidence to prove these "amazing" feats. but the bible does, throughout history there are many pieces of evidence, and many eye witness accounts that have been written and preserved.

and that, my friends, is all.

Sparty2020
12-12-2009, 08:07 AM
Indeed, you are correct. I think reading in elemantary school the war occured during The Greeks' "Dark Age" so that would explain the lack of written accounts. My mistake, those were bad examples. Well I hope my point came across anyway.

thekyle0
12-12-2009, 08:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sparty2020:
The Bible is and should be considered along the lines of The Iliad, The Odyssey, and The Aeneid. Historical Fiction. I believe The Bible, like Homer's works, was based on real events and real places, but it also greatly exaggerated several places and people. I doubt Troy survived 10 years under siege, I doubt Hector wielded a 10-foot spear (seriously I can't imagine that even with both hands http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif ), I doubt Achilles' armor was crafted by a God, and I doubt that Aeneas managed to escape Troy with his father on his back, his son by his hand, and 60-pounds of armor on his shoulders. Does that make the Trojan War false? Nope, people have said it's false but there have been evidence to show a REAL war that occured in the supposed site of Troy, with a REAL Hector (a messanger, not a fabulous prince) and a REAL Priam (as a powerful young boy fighting in the frontlines, not an ancient wise king with 50 sons). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'd like to recommend a great book on the trojan war to you. It's called "The Trojan War, A new History" by Barry Strauss. It's a great book that looks at the Trojan War from a purely historical standpoint. I think you'd enjoy it.

I'd also like to make sure I understand your point that "the bible should be considered historical fiction". So you could say it's like how today we have movies which are based on real events, but don't follow them to the letter. Now in one thousand years, if people believed that those movies were meant to be a historical archive it would be similar to the situation of people believing in the bible? Sorry for the inconvienance. I know you're trying to end the religious arguement but I just needed the clarification. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Sparty2020
12-12-2009, 08:20 AM
lol no inconvinience, this delves into philosophy/psychology which I enjoy.

I agree that people will take things too literal a thousand years from now. I believe that a thousand years after World War X people will discover an old Spiderman comic and will forever worship Spidy as a holy figure. As far as they know, New York did indeed exist, there was indeed genetic research happening in New York, New York was overrun with crime and brilliant architecture, and it indeed had vigilantes. Spiderman is also blessed with powers and abilities that no man can achieve and is considered a genius who always prevails despite the odds. Not to mention his judgement is righteous and he punishes wickedness.

Since there is no one alive to disprove or confirm any of these theories it will simply be "Holy" like The Iliad to the Greeks and The Aeneid to the Romans. People have that habit of believing in things higher than themselves, instict I guess.

Thanks for the recommendation to the book, I'll check it out

Crash_Plague
12-12-2009, 08:23 AM
You guys really know how to feed the troll....

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Hurri211
12-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted.
This phrase, I think, is a perfect way to end arguments like this.

tg1413
12-12-2009, 11:20 AM
I'm not going to get into the specifics of your arguments, but the thing you have to remember, which has been stated in the title of this thread, and even in the disclaimer at the start of this game is that it's a work of fiction. It's not Ubisoft trying to change what has been told about history and in turn offend people over their religions, beliefs etc, it's a fictional tale imagining what could have happened in history if the story was true.

"This work of fiction was created by a team with various religious faiths and beliefs" etc. etc. It says that every time you start up the game, so it's not like you weren't warned.

PlagueDoctor357
12-12-2009, 11:37 AM
Like in the earlier topic.

Man was known to smoke marijuana through pipes back then.

Man was known to eat bread that was moldy because of the storing.

Drinking cactus water on your trek through the desert (Peyote?)

Perhaps this is why they spoke to burning bushes, stoned out of their minds.

Perhaps Jesus was real, and smart....amazingly for his time.

Perhaps he was able to figure out the day samon swim up stream.

Now he fools the people around him into believing he created this fish filled river out of a single fish because they were all stoned and believe it.

Then we have people writing Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth as a stoned story that was meant to guide you but as they were high they thought of terrible sins to scare people.

Do you have evidence against such a theory?

Do you truly believe one man in a span of 40 days was able to get two of every animal (Were talking like the 15 different species of zebra or insects, I mean there are like 100 different types of praying mantis.) onto a boat to ferry around while the earth was flooded?

AzureRequiem
12-12-2009, 11:47 AM
There's also this one possibility...

That Chryst4Lyfe is a troll. Mind-blowing, right?

BTOG46
12-12-2009, 01:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AzureRequiem:
There's also this one possibility...

That Chryst4Lyfe is a troll. Mind-blowing, right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quite correct, he's now a banned troll, just like all his other accounts.

Please, in future do NOT feed the Trolls http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif