PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Combat OR Economy - balancing for victory

Anymn
07-28-2018, 12:52 PM
Currently I'm following the development of Anno 1800 from a distance, and I'm looking forward to playing the game.
I read the news articles about Military, and the ideas behind the system looks great: no land warfare, but a good sea warfare instead.
Good job in capturing the communities needs also in the doctrine: I want to take control over war and peace.

Now, I've some worries alongside my enthusiasm. In previous Anno games, a strong financial economy directly caused a better warfare economy. This is to some extend logical, as the better you build, the bigger army, etc. However, it also feels a bit 'meh', as once out-played, you do not have any chance to come back into the race.

Suggestion
What I suggest to make a great addition to the fleet combat system as the plans currently are, is the addition of manpower. Manpower is needed to fill up your ships, so heavily crewed ships fight better than sparely crewed ships. Now, in a traditional Anno setting, this still means that a bigger economy has more manpower than smaller ones. Now here's the catch:

Lower population classes give more manpower;
Higher population classes, like Investors, give more money;
Making the percentages off settlement advancing dynamic: so you can opt for a 10% level 1, 20% level 2, 30% level 3 and 40% level 4 if you want to. Or a 25%, 25%, 25%, 25%.

Giving this kind of flexibility makes the game more a balancing act between a strong economy, financial growth and more technological options, against creating a lot of manpower. This increases the strategical options in building up a strong economy, as you can either choose increase money and buy in your allies support, or choose for military option, increase your fleet size and seize your opponents trading routes.

Now, I am maybe far too late for this idea, as the development is going for quite a long time. But I think this concept has potential in becoming a nice balancing factor, as well giving more room in balancing your own economy.

stylisticsagi
07-28-2018, 02:37 PM
"Now, I've some worries alongside my enthusiasm. In previous Anno games, a strong financial economy directly caused a better warfare economy. This is to some extend logical, as the better you build, the bigger army, etc. However, it also feels a bit 'meh', as once out-played, you do not have any chance to come back into the race."

I COMPLETLY agree with this, altough this counts for many games tough.

However i think your suggestion is going to complex.
I think if the game offers more ways to get goods around your island without your cargo ships but by trade you can get along way.
Making the smalles of trade ships(empty) faster then warships would also help.
Combined with relativly cheap and decent coastal defensive buildings so you can build up a fleet.

Another cool feature would be that if your ships are being sunk a progress bar would fill up and ONCE PER GAME this create an action simular like the call auxiliary fleet.
This action would cost you nothing but can only be once activated. I don't think it also matters if your ships are being sunk by other players or pirates, this could turn the tides.
The attacking player would therefore think twice before attacking. and if the battle is turning around the other player will also have this option for an auxiliary fleet once per game.

If you lose the battle twice wel i'm sorry but then your defeat was ment to be anyway...