PDA

View Full Version : Which AC should I play if I dropped AC3?

Popo-Chen
07-27-2018, 04:45 PM
I was a big fan in the past and play all parts until AC3 which seemed super boring for me. I dropped it like two years ago.

Now i wanna play AC again but I dont know which part. I dont have that much time and have many other things to do so now i play only the best games (like Uncharted, Life is Strange, Detroit, so really best of the best).

The most important thing for me is the atmosphere. Then comes the story. Dont care too much about the gameplay but it shouldnt be long and boring.

so what AC should i play in my case and which parts should i skip?

AnimusLover
07-27-2018, 07:47 PM
So basically here are your options for the main games:

Black Flag
Rogue
Unity
Syndicate
Origins

From the games you've mentioned it seems you like a good story and I am sorry to say NONE of these are strong in that area so in terms of gameplay and atmosphere I think Origins is almost like an antidote to ACIII. ACIII is very rigid and linear whereas Origins prides itself on being open and seamless from the start. It's also so radically different, gameplay wise, to ACIII in terms of combat and stealth that it will feel like a fresh start for those who are fatigued with the series.

Combat is hit box based so it's based on distance and speed rather than paired animations. You will not survive, at least intially, against 5 guards all at once because the enemy AI is more intelligent and you will need ammo such as arrows and tools to endure. So, gone are the days of feeling like an all powerful one man army. Stealth has a crouch button now and social stealth is completely gone. Eagle vision only highlights treasure, not people. Instead, now you have a literal Eagle who scouts and tags enemies for you. There's also a lot of mechanics and gameplay quirks that Origins doesn't outright tell the player about so there will be times when you go, "hmm, I wonder if I can do this?" and to your pleasant surprise you will be able to do it!

Origins is also an RPG now so you have a day/night cycle, level cap, loot, crafting upgrades and much more. You can approach main and side missions in any order now and can have several missions running at the same time although bear in mind the ease of how you complete missions will depend on your level. You will also not be able to assassinate a level 20 guard at level 10 with a hidden blade, not at least without upgrading the hidden blade (although by the time you acquire such an upgrade you'll be at a higher level). You can start a quest and if you decide to do something else in the middle of the quest you can return to finish the quest from where you left off at a later time.There are no auto fails (apart from death obviously) so you have to deal with the consequences of failure in a "fail state".

You can enter and leave buildings without loading. There are underwater areas and you can ride back and forth to land. You can still hunt animals for crafting upgrades or to sell to merchants but you don't have to bend over and skin animals anymore in a forced cut scene, you simply press the button to loot and it automatically adds to Bayek's inventory. Optional mission objectives are gone so you can approach missions how you like. Like I said, very, very open, fluid and seamless in comparison to ACIII.

Fair warning: the first 20 minutes of Origins is absolutely awful but once the world opens up it gets much better.

Origins is not necessarily my favourite out of the list (that would be Black Flag and Syndicate, two games that greatly improve on their predecessors) but based on what you have said I have to objectively recommended Origins because it's just so completely different from ACIII whereas Syndicate and especially Black Flag retain a lot of the old elements. It's the perfect place to jump back in if you dropped the series prior to current gen.

Popo-Chen
07-27-2018, 10:22 PM
So basically here are your options for the main games:

Black Flag
Rogue
Unity
Syndicate
Origins

From the games you've mentioned it seems you like a good story and I am sorry to say NONE of these are strong in that area so in terms of gameplay and atmosphere I think Origins is almost like an antidote to ACIII. ACIII is very rigid and linear whereas Origins prides itself on being open and seamless from the start. It's also so radically different, gameplay wise, to ACIII in terms of combat and stealth that it will feel like a fresh start for those who are fatigued with the series.

Combat is hit box based so it's based on distance and speed rather than paired animations. You will not survive, at least intially, against 5 guards all at once because the enemy AI is more intelligent and you will need ammo such as arrows and tools to endure. So, gone are the days of feeling like an all powerful one man army. Stealth has a crouch button now and social stealth is completely gone. Eagle vision only highlights treasure, not people. Instead, now you have a literal Eagle who scouts and tags enemies for you. There's also a lot of mechanics and gameplay quirks that Origins doesn't outright tell the player about so there will be times when you go, "hmm, I wonder if I can do this?" and to your pleasant surprise you will be able to do it!

Origins is also an RPG now so you have a day/night cycle, level cap, loot, crafting upgrades and much more. You can approach main and side missions in any order now and can have several missions running at the same time although bear in mind the ease of how you complete missions will depend on your level. You will also not be able to assassinate a level 20 guard at level 10 with a hidden blade, not at least without upgrading the hidden blade (although by the time you acquire such an upgrade you'll be at a higher level). You can start a quest and if you decide to do something else in the middle of the quest you can return to finish the quest from where you left off at a later time.There are no auto fails (apart from death obviously) so you have to deal with the consequences of failure in a "fail state".

You can enter and leave buildings without loading. There are underwater areas and you can ride back and forth to land. You can still hunt animals for crafting upgrades or to sell to merchants but you don't have to bend over and skin animals anymore in a forced cut scene, you simply press the button to loot and it automatically adds to Bayek's inventory. Optional mission objectives are gone so you can approach missions how you like. Like I said, very, very open, fluid and seamless in comparison to ACIII.

Fair warning: the first 20 minutes of Origins is absolutely awful but once the world opens up it gets much better.

Origins is not necessarily my favourite out of the list (that would be Black Flag and Syndicate, two games that greatly improve on their predecessors) but based on what you have said I have to objectively recommended Origins because it's just so completely different from ACIII whereas Syndicate and especially Black Flag retain a lot of the old elements. It's the perfect place to jump back in if you dropped the series prior to current gen.

Thank you very ,much for your detailed reply!

What about Unity? Paris looks so nice there, is it worth playing it just to enjoy the game world? Or will I have pretty much the same in Syndicate?

mckrackin5324
07-28-2018, 01:24 AM
I also dropped 3 as soon as I got the outfit. Then I watched the cut scenes on Youtube.

Origins and Syndicate are great. Syndicate is my favorite. Playing it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVR30lK0pyc

AnimusLover
07-28-2018, 02:15 AM
Thank you very ,much for your detailed reply!

What about Unity? Paris looks so nice there, is it worth playing it just to enjoy the game world? Or will I have pretty much the same in Syndicate?

You're welcome, happy to help. :)

Unity is the only Assassin's Creed game that I would recommend skipping. If you need to complete your collection then play it last. There’s literally nothing in it that you won’t get in the other games. Any and all potential it had is fulfilled in Syndicate, the latter of which has a far more interesting world.

Unity introduces these gameplay elements:

Murder mysteries.
Riddles.
Weapon and armour customisation that determine playstyle and level.
Character level.
Black box missions i.e. multiple ways to approach an assassination and the ability to leave mission areas without the game resetting.
Very few auto fails.

However, Syndicate does most, if not all, of these so much better simply because Quebec had the benefit of more time with the hardware. Unity also contains the worst story of all of the games - predictable, no character development. The much-hyped romance between an Assassin and a Templar does not have the conflict it should. There’s also no modern day. Syndicate at least has modern day, albeit it’s entirely cut scene based and can be skipped. Revolutionary Paris is a mere backdrop with no bearing on the gameplay or story like the trailers would suggest so the narrative really could have taken place in any time period and it wouldn’t have made a difference. You do meet historical figures but only in side missions through in-game engine interactions i.e. they get no cut scenes so their introduction is very anti-climactic. You may even not realise who they are if you’re not paying close enough attention. Far more problematic, though, is that the missions these characters give you are all the same.

In contrast, Syndicate uses historical figures to define the type of missions Jacob or Evie receive. For instance, Alexander Graham Bell, one of the pioneers of the telephone, is a bit like what DaVinci was for Ezio. He gives you missions specifically to test out his inventions. Whereas Arthur Conan Doyle, creator of Sherlock Holmes, will task you with the “Dreadful Crimes” missions where you are required to play detective to solve murder mysteries. These murder mysteries are so clever and culminate in an explosive finale you won’t see coming. (I have deliberately wrapped the identity of the boy who gives you these missions as it's not initially obvious if you don't pay attention to how he introduces himself but it's nothing game ruining if you do want to know.) My point is, these character specific missions not only increase mission variety but they make these historical figures memorable for the player as a result. You will miss them when they’re gone. Unity doesn’t have that. Everything from everyone is, “go here and kill these people”. Totally interchangeable and forgettable.

Also in Syndicate missions are less linear so in sequence 3 you may have about 6 missions but sometimes they appear on the map at the same time so can be accessed in any order. If you clear all the gang activity on the map you can play sequence 8 before actually getting there (although I wouldn’t recommend this).

London is just as aesthetically beautiful as Paris and its individual locations are more distinct although, admittedly, graphically downgraded in detail in order to not push the engine too hard. However, if you don't enjoy Syndicate there's no way you will enjoy Unity. It’s the game Unity wanted to be and nowhere near as fun.

Honestly, Origins is what I would recommend to start off with if you dropped the series at AC III. Then work your way backwards if you want to play the others but I wouldn't even bother with Unity unless you're a completionist.