PDA

View Full Version : I would consider Odyssey a proper AC game if....?

kissybyc
07-22-2018, 03:24 AM
It is a common critique among fans that Odyssey simply isn't an AC game but a historical fantasy RPG with AC label stuck on it. They have a point: we don't play as an assassin, there is no assassins' brotherhood, there isn't a hidden blade etc. But given that the game is what it is and it's not gonna change much, is there a chance, at all, that when you see the full game, you would actually consider it a proper AC game? For the fans who already think it is "AC" enough as it is - no problem. For those who don't, what would you need to see in the game in order to be convinced that it is actually an AC game?

For me, I want to see the lore of the First Civilization expanded in a major way. First Civ is a trademark storyline of the franchise IMO, and if we can get major developments on how they functioned I'd be more willing to consider this game as an AC installment. Also, if the main character at some point of the story met a hidden-blade user and was introduced to the whole concept of assassination, that'd also be good.

What do you think?

dbgager
07-23-2018, 02:03 AM
It looks like its going to be a fantastic game. Thats all that is important. Many people really don't care about the lore.

cawatrooper9
07-24-2018, 04:26 PM
Access the Animus held a poll earlier this month about this topic.

Pretty interesting results.

(If this image is ridiculously small on your device, I'd suggest just checking out their tweet (https://twitter.com/AccessTheAnimus/status/1013754189816778754))

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DhGTkdFXcAIazde.jpg:large

Frag_Maniac
07-25-2018, 07:43 AM
WOW, with things like Free Running, Assassins vs Templars, and Hidden Blade being at the top, and Naval Elements, Character Customization, and First Civ entities and locations being at the bottom, you have to wonder if this title is not going to do nearly as well as they'd hoped. And that's not even factoring in the many whom don't like the lack of a shield, dialog options, and varied outcomes.

Makes you wonder if the real reason Ubi is pushing this game and their crazy nonsense ideas so much is they are worried it will not bring in huge sales unless they sell it like the devil pedaling snake oil. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

dxsxhxcx
07-25-2018, 12:56 PM
Was it a multiple choice pool? Because if it wasn't, IMO a lot of options fall into the same category like leap of faith and iconography, the fantasy of being an assassin and assassins x templars (organizations), MD in general and events of the past having an impact on MD, etc.

WOW, with things like Free Running, Assassins vs Templars, and Hidden Blade being at the top, and Naval Elements, Character Customization, and First Civ entities and locations being at the bottom, you have to wonder if this title is not going to do nearly as well as they'd hoped. And that's not even factoring in the many whom don't like the lack of a shield, dialog options, and varied outcomes.

Makes you wonder if the real reason Ubi is pushing this game and their crazy nonsense ideas so much is they are worried it will not bring in huge sales unless they sell it like the devil pedaling snake oil. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

The lack of certain familiar elements IMO wouldn't be a problem if the story was cohesive enough. But Ubisoft thinks we don't like that and prefer the mess we have now.

Olympus2018
08-08-2018, 10:13 PM
Origins is the only AC game that I have played from the beginning to the very end and I can't wait for Odyssey.... Maybe because I am Greek. :o:o
This is going to be 100% RPG + Open world + action + adventure + ancient Greece. I reckon the map will be so large that the distance from one edge to the opposite will be between 15 and 20 kilometers! The main map in Origins is almost 14 km from the NW to the SE corner and Odyssey will be 60% larger, I think...

I want to see the Canal of Corinth, Mt. Olympus, Athens, Sparta, Argos and around 30 islands!

Swailing
08-09-2018, 04:16 PM
I think it's often forgotten how much the idea of conspiracy drives this series. It's there in pretty much all AC stories, although sometimes it's so overt that it doesn't feel like conspiracy.

AC1 was interesting because you felt like you were following a trail and putting the pieces together. The structure is not unlike a classic Chandler-style detective story, where ultimately the man in the 'client' role turns out to be the mastermind. Ezio uncovered the Pazzi conspiracy, and while pursuing Rodrigo he discovers that the son is the real problem.

In weaker stories, such as Revelations and III, there isn't really a conspiracy element. Without conspiracy, you don't really get to see the power at work that you're supposedly up against. That's not to say that conspiracy automatically fixes problems, of course. Unity had a pretty strong thing going for its power plot, but other story problems hampered it. But I think that's a big thing, and I also think it's why the first two Ezio games work so well. Gothic architecture + dread Gregorian chants + political skulduggery is a great combination.

Origins found its own analogue for that, in the visual language of Egypt's mythology of death (albeit a bit too spaced out across 100h, and lacking a real killer blow for the main story). Maybe Odyssey will find a new recipe for this, too, in Greek culture.

joelsantos24
08-09-2018, 05:46 PM
I think it's often forgotten how much the idea of conspiracy drives this series. It's there in pretty much all AC stories, although sometimes it's so overt that it doesn't feel like conspiracy.

AC1 was interesting because you felt like you were following a trail and putting the pieces together. The structure is not unlike a classic Chandler-style detective story, where ultimately the man in the 'client' role turns out to be the mastermind. Ezio uncovered the Pazzi conspiracy, and while pursuing Rodrigo he discovers that the son is the real problem.

In weaker stories, such as Revelations and III, there isn't really a conspiracy element. Without conspiracy, you don't really get to see the power at work that you're supposedly up against. That's not to say that conspiracy automatically fixes problems, of course. Unity had a pretty strong thing going for its power plot, but other story problems hampered it. But I think that's a big thing, and I also think it's why the first two Ezio games work so well. Gothic architecture + dread Gregorian chants + political skulduggery is a great combination.

Origins found its own analogue for that, in the visual language of Egypt's mythology of death (albeit a bit too spaced out across 100h, and lacking a real killer blow for the main story). Maybe Odyssey will find a new recipe for this, too, in Greek culture.
Well, after the Ezio trilogy, the story element in AC suffered substantially. Many fans, myself included, believe it has very much to do with Désilets, more specifically, with his absence. However, I do think it also has to do with this fundamental shift in Ubisoft's business model and policies. The games became more shallow and the stories more insipid, as a result.

The lack of the conspiracy element, is, in my opinion, also a consequence of the inexistence of strong, charismatic villains. And the latter is a consequence of the lack of relevance given to the narrative, I believe. AC1 had Robert de Sable, AC2-Revelations had the Borgia family, and then, there was no one better suited for that role, than Haytham Kenway's lackey?

From that point onward, the villains of the series became a literal joke. How can the story be highly regarded, if it's villains are weak, underwhelming and trivial people with simple delusions of grandeur?

Olympus2018
08-09-2018, 07:23 PM
Over 30 hours of dialogue have been recorded for the game.

The soundtrack is composed by The Flight.

Alexios is voiced by Michael Antonakos. Greek.

Kassandra is voiced by Melissanthi Mahut. Greek

Leonidas is voiced by Elias Toufexis. Greek

The Origins composer, Sarah Schachner has confirmed that she has not worked on the Odyssey soundtrack.

It is possible to romance characters throughout the story, via the dialogue system. This includes characters of the same gender as the protagonist. Kassandra and another girl..... doesn't sound like a bad idea.