PDA

View Full Version : The Offense vs Defense Issue

Awlkara
07-21-2018, 06:14 PM
I recently came back to For Honor and I noticed a huge thing that to me is killing the game.
And that is offense vs defense.

We currently have a game where mixups are hardly there and you are more heavily rewarded for just sitting there turtling as opposed to actually pressing the issue.

Unless you are any of those heroes with 300ms lights or real mixup you are forced to just sit there and feint attacks and not really do any real sort of mixup.
All lights are way too easy to see and the reward for being aggresive is so not worth it that it's just better to be defensive

Characters like Shaman are deemed overpowered when in reality she should be the standards for aggression in this game. The ability to actually break through defenses.

I main PK and I've met players that can literally see everything I do right down to my zone and without an unblockable I was just helpless before them. No amount of feinting or mixing up even worked because their sense where so honed to this game that attacking them is more or less impossible.

This game really needs to turn it up on the aggressive aspect so we can actually move forward and create a game that lets us choose to be aggressive or not. Speed up lights for everyone, give every class an unblockable so you can combat heavily turtling Conqs and Lawbringers because as a PK without an unblockable to break the ice and press an issue what am I supposed to do?

Sad thing is, the newer heroes are all taking this "aggressive" approach into practice where heroes like PK are just lame versions of characters like Shaman, whom by the way has the exact same kit as PK but just bloated and faster with more damage and mixup. Stuff like that makes absolutely no sense how polarizing it is between newer and old heroes where some are completely made irrelevant by the existence of other heroes.

The sooner we buff being aggressive the sooner this game can shine.

At least in my own opinion so we can put an end to this turtle meta for good.

DefiledDragon
07-21-2018, 06:55 PM
That's entirely subjective. Some players might enjoy the more tactical feel of the defensive game instead of all out assault. Guard breaks should be made more effective but less spamable imo. They are countered way too easily, which makes them almost useless against all but the most clueless or somebody with slow reactions I get gb quite often but I'm nearly 50 and not quite as fast as I once was, but I rarely see successful gb's landed. Maybe tailor gb to be more like revenge. Make it so it can't be countered, but it can only be thrown once you've had a number of your attacks blocked in succession, like the revenge meter. That way, it can't be spammed, but at the same time you know you can't turtle forever either.

Knight_Raime
07-21-2018, 08:06 PM
Aggression based play won't be totally viable till we make some fixes that are still propping up defensive play.

Rather than re typing everything that does this i'll just link my thread I made a few days ago.

https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1909480-PSA-the-final-pillars-of-the-turtle-meta?p=13595802#post13595802

ArmoredChocobo
07-22-2018, 04:55 AM
Itís escalation.

Every time defense got a buff, offense would get a buff to discourage it or a nerf to defense, and vice versa.

Rikuto01.tv
07-22-2018, 09:17 AM
PC needs to be treated as a different balance entity with attacks sped up and parry window reduced. That's the way to do it, but Ubisoft doesn't want to split the balance. So here we are, chasing bad trends instead and making concepts such as the pure striker very difficult to find viable.

Incidentally, console is still way more fun even if it does run like trash. I feel my point is summed up in this clip fairly well.

https://clips.twitch.tv/FrozenDeafPonyCoolCat