PDA

View Full Version : Developers make the weirdest decisions these days

datAssassin2018
07-20-2018, 10:30 PM
Seriously why developers make the worst choices in games these days?

-Zelda Botw:No dungeons and only a few bosses.

-Monster Hunter World:No Lagiacrus,Tigrex,Nargacuga,Barioth.

-Spider-man Ps4:No Venom,Carnage and symbiote suit for Spidey.

-Shadow of the Tomb Raider:Lara looks ugly and unattractive and she's less feminine then ever before.

-Assassin's Creed Odyssey:A game set in ancient Greece and the main protagonists can't use a freaking shield in combat.

-Jurassic World Evolution:T-rex is bigger than Indominus,Spinosaurus and Giganotosaurus in a jurassic park game.

What's next a tiny Godzilla?

Frag_Maniac
07-20-2018, 10:47 PM
The only one that stuck out for me was the no shield decision on Odyssey. The only other one I'll be playing is Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and from what I've seen so far she looks pretty much the same as in TR 2013 and Rise of the Tomb Raider to me. Do you have some comparison screen shots that detail the differences perhaps?

I'm about to watch the new Tomb Raider movie starring Alicia Vikander, which Netflix says I should get today. It looks like it has the potential to be the best made from video game movie ever. I'll comment after I watch it.

The game still uses the same model and hair for Lara, but her expressions now are less worrisome and fearful, more confident. Her arms are also more developed. Even her voice is less over dramatic and more confident. These are changes that needed to be made as she adapts to Tomb Raiding and all it's inherent perils.

My one hope is that they give us a LOT more sophistication in tombs that are far more challenging. That's what was missing from the last two. Nothing in this rebooted TR so far has even come close in that regard to what many feel to be the pinnacle of the TR series, Anniversary.

datAssassin2018
07-21-2018, 01:22 PM
The only one that stuck out for me was the no shield decision on Odyssey. The only other one I'll be playing is Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and from what I've seen so far she looks pretty much the same as in TR 2013 and Rise of the Tomb Raider to me. Do you have some comparison screen shots that detail the differences perhaps?

I'm about to watch the new Tomb Raider movie starring Alicia Vikander, which Netflix says I should get today. It looks like it has the potential to be the best made from video game movie ever. I'll comment after I watch it.

The game still uses the same model and hair for Lara, but her expressions now are less worrisome and fearful, more confident. Her arms are also more developed. Even her voice is less over dramatic and more confident. These are changes that needed to be made as she adapts to Tomb Raiding and all it's inherent perils.

My one hope is that they give us a LOT more sophistication in tombs that are far more challenging. That's what was missing from the last two. Nothing in this rebooted TR so far has even come close in that regard to what many feel to be the pinnacle of the TR series, Anniversary.

To tell you the truth I prefer the Lara from 2013 than the new version. They greatly altered the model in RotTR and sometimes when you move the camera up, Lara looks ugly. After a closer look It seems they have improved her face a bit in SotTR but she's very masculine and unattractive. With every game Square Enix releases, Lara moves further away from her roots. She has no dual pistols, she lacks her sassy attitude, she lacks her boldness and she looks likes a generic woman instead of a hot badass archeologist.

As for the movie, I haven't seen it but from what I've heard it is a dissapointment. They basically tried to combine the two games in to a movie. Only Alicia's performance is praised but she doen't look like Lara to me.

Black_Widow9
07-22-2018, 12:27 AM
Did someone say Godzilla?
https://media.giphy.com/media/Pyv6fShlz8XHq/giphy.gif

For BoTW, I felt the Shrines made up for the lack of traditional dungeons and they were kind of creepy too.

I didn't mind Lara's new look or muscle definition. I'm not sure what a "generic woman" looks like, sorry we're not all overly curvy. I still think she's a badass archeologist either way.

@Frag- I liked the movie. The action sequences she did were pretty hardcore in my opinion.

MnemonicSyntax
07-22-2018, 06:53 AM
Plus, the Shrines theme music was a slowed down version of the Labyrinth theme from the original Legend of Zelda.

Nice touch I thought.

I also love the heck outta some Tom Braider (sic) need to see that movie though.

dbgager
07-23-2018, 02:10 AM
Hey ..your opinion. Whats a bad choice to one person is a good choice to another person.

Frag_Maniac
07-27-2018, 05:43 AM
Well, for what it's worth, the new Tomb Raider movie is probably in the top 3 made from games movies I've ever seen. It follows the TR 2013 game about as well as you'd expect in the time frame it spans, and has some pretty decent scenes. Many scenes are mashed into one from several taken in the game, but they do it pretty seamlessly. Quite frankly I prefer to experience condensed versions first, as they seem like a let down after, but there are far more good movies made from games than games made from movies unfortunately.

Acting wise Vikander was effective, being both athletic and versatile enough. They even had her mimicking Lara's screams and whimpers fairly well. I was a bit let down when one of the action scenes shown in the trailer was cut, but wasn't surprised much. At first I enjoyed the beginning parts, including the bicycle snatch game, but afterward felt by using it they omitted good action scenes they could have included. I came away feeling it was no doubt for budget reasons.

So as long as you know going in this is not a super big budget blockbuster, and grade on a curve based on that, you'll probably enjoy it. I think it speaks volumes just that RottenTomatoes gave it a 49%, vs a 22.5% average for the ones with Angelina Jolie. Given the movie ended with a hint of more action coming via Lara saying "I'll take two", when checking out the pistols in the gun shop, and the reception it's received, I think it's safe to say it will be a trilogy.

CursedPanther
07-27-2018, 07:42 AM
I think it speaks volumes just that RottenTomatoes gave it a 49%, vs a 22.5% average for the ones with Angelina Jolie. Given the movie ended with a hint of more action coming via Lara saying "I'll take two", when checking out the pistols in the gun shop, and the reception it's received, I think it's safe to say it will be a trilogy.
RT rating certainly doesn't speak for me in this case.

While both the old and new TR movies have their respective cheesy moments and I'm not saying Vikander is a bad actress, but I think Jolie has clearly presented the 'right' Lara Croft much better. Vikander simply doesn't possess that knowledgable calculating yet street tough charisma like Jolie and she has to act rather hard for it, which is why she's also kinda poor at being Heather Lee in Jason Bourne. Still one's gotta appreciate the real physical work Vikaner's invested into shaping the Lara role.

By the way, anyone else feels that the new TR movie received a higher rating becuz of Walton Goggins? He is naturally good at playing a villain.

cawatrooper9
07-27-2018, 02:33 PM

While both the old and new TR movies have their respective cheesy moments and I'm not saying Vikander is a bad actress, but I think Jolie has clearly presented the 'right' Lara Croft much better. Vikander simply doesn't possess that knowledgable calculating yet street tough charisma like Jolie and she has to act rather hard for it, which is why she's also kinda poor at being Heather Lee in Jason Bourne. Still one's gotta appreciate the real physical work Vikaner's invested into shaping the Lara role.

By the way, anyone else feels that the new TR movie received a higher rating becuz of Walton Goggins? He is naturally good at playing a villain.

To be honest, Goggins is one of the reasons I most want to see it.

But no disrespect intended to Vikander. Considering the movie apparently follows the 2013 game

then it's basically an origins story anyway, so it would make sense to have a younger, less calculating Lara.

I think Jolie and Vikander are simply playing very different versions of the character.

Frag_Maniac
07-27-2018, 11:19 PM

Mostly true, though personally I didn't mind it. And that's coming from someone whom felt the RT rating for the ones Angelina was in were harsh. While I enjoyed seeing the ones Angelina was in, this one required a different Lara. She is a less cocky and sumptuous character in TR 2013 than she was in past TRs, and someone like Vikander was needed for that. I don't feel there's any shortcomings in acting or directing there, just a chosen different style, which has obviously been popular with the new TR fanbase as well. The only reason Vikander seems constrained I think is she is portraying a new type of Lara that is not like the one she's familiar with in the original games. That's right, she's a gamer, and grew up with TR. You have to wonder if she was a bit envious Angelina got to play the Lara she grew up with. Nothing you saw onscreen was any flaw on her part though. It's just the style of Lara before she actually became a tomb raider.

You're totally right about Goggins though, he was a very good Mathias. Even though he didn't have that gruff intimidating tone as the game character, he got his demeanor right. I also felt Dominic West did pretty good as her father. Truth be told, I'm not sure if RT's more than double rating for this one vs the last two was for acting, story, directing, style, or balance. To me, it's a combination of all those things that make them very different, but I'd not have had such a disparity in rating them. It really comes down to a personal preference I think on such things, and I was OK with either style. They each served their purpose in the time they came out, and were adequately representative of the game installments they pertained to.

Bottom line, TR has just evolved to a different style and feel now. I have to admit I'm growing more accustomed to it, but I still wish the games would feature more elaborate tombs that are more challenging to solve. I also miss the hardcore platforming of Anniversary. If the new games had that they would be action adventure nirvana. As far as the movies though, it's unfortunate the ones made from games are usually critiqued by people that know a lot about movies, but very little about games.