PDA

View Full Version : Icon distances

potver
01-25-2005, 01:43 AM
I,ve always thought distances were in meters.
Is the AC nearby (wingman or leader) you can easily measure the distance for yourself.
The problem however is when I read something about Gabreski or Schiller they shoot at distances of 600 yards or even more.A yard is about a meter isn,t it?
When at 600 meter( icon reading 6.00) I can hardly see the enemy and hitting it is for me not possible.
Can someone shed some light on this subject?

potver
01-25-2005, 01:43 AM
I,ve always thought distances were in meters.
Is the AC nearby (wingman or leader) you can easily measure the distance for yourself.
The problem however is when I read something about Gabreski or Schiller they shoot at distances of 600 yards or even more.A yard is about a meter isn,t it?
When at 600 meter( icon reading 6.00) I can hardly see the enemy and hitting it is for me not possible.
Can someone shed some light on this subject?

Sqn81-Blacksky
01-25-2005, 02:08 AM
distance is KM so 6.0 is 6km..good range for a sidewinder, not so good for 0.50...600 is 0.6 and still to far to kill..

Depends on your liking but for me a good range to start is about 250m at max

potver
01-25-2005, 03:37 AM
Hmm, when I,m on the runway my wingman,s icon said 0.6. Most likely 6 meters.
But my Mustang is appr. 10 meters long, smaller than the distance between me and my wingman?

Padser
01-25-2005, 05:50 AM
~S~

Does anyone know of a way of changing the units of this value? I can set my speedbar to kts or mph via a keyboard bind but it would lovely to be able to do this with the icon distances, too. My maths is pretty good, but thinking in terms of tenths of a kilometre does not come naturally to me

Take pity on a poor Brit who still likes to think in feet and yards... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I suspect this is unfixable, but worth a try, eh?

Cheers,

Pads

potver
01-25-2005, 06:02 AM
In the conf.ini there is way to change the Icon type, but what it really does I don,t know.